John Clayton has given us his AFC East Forecast...

they're acknowledging the hype and using it as a motivational tool. How many times this offseason have we heard players say "we look good on paper but we need to prove it on the field."

not nearly enough. and not in the right way

first off, its literally only been said a few times, and sort of in passing as they continue to focus on their confidence. it should be the other way around - express confidence but emphasize humility and keeping their heads down and focused on every detail they need to win games

if you want to see the difference just remember how troy vincent used to address every similar issue whenever he was interviewed - ultra respectful of their opponents, continually repeating how difficult it was to win in this league and how intense the focus must be at all times. not just 'oh we look good on paper but i still think we are good' kind of mild denial. if you cant remember vincent, then listen to bill belicheater, if you can stand it

It's almost a talking point, indicating that it's been a point of emphasis more than once in the team meetings.

almost isnt good enough, it should be a talking point every day in the meetings and mentioned virtually every time they are interviewed

ive been watching football now for forty years plus and im telling you, unless they start showing a serious commitment to keeping their feet on the ground they will succumb to the preseason ball riding. all it takes it a little loss of desperation and focus, and losing games because of it is realistically possible. if they dont prep for it now they also run the risk of having things unravel before they can pull it together, its much better to never let the unraveling start in the first place

they still have plenty of time to get the focus there, but im keeping my eyes peeled for it once training camp starts

Edited by Meathead

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this wild card talk...

Lets win the division, sounds easier.

I agree. Every year there are people who predict that the Patriots* house of cards will crumble. Maybe this year it will finally happen. I am not sure that I have the nerve to predict that it will, but I am leaning towards a definite maybe.

All this wild card talk...

Lets win the division, sounds easier.

I agree, screw the Patriots, they have got to go down sometime. All teams do. Why not now. Just how did they get better? The O line has problems, who are their running backs? Did they really improve at receiver? Their secondary would have to be better, it could not be any worse. This team goes the way Brady goes and finaly we have built a team to beat Brady. Get preasure with four, cover the rest.

Did I read this headline correctly? - sorry it's an Espn insider and I can't read the crappy link.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story?id=8071100&_slug_=nfl-improvement-expected-drafting-one-side-ball&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fstory%3fid%3d8071100%26_slug_%3dnfl-improvement-expected-drafting-one-side-ball

By KC Joyner

Bleacher Report - If the 7 most improved is in the best to least order #1

The Bills were the winners in the Mario Williams sweepstakes and also landed former Patriots* pass-rusher Mark Anderson.

The Bills also spent their first-round pick on the defensive side of the ball when they drafted cornerback Stephon Gilmore.

Bill Belichick spent the first six of his seven draft picks on the defensive side

Draftees over EXPERIENCE????? WTF?

J Walker comments on

•Buffalo Bills defensive end Mario Williams and his teammate Mark Anderson

Both will be expected to produce a lot of sacks this year. Williams is one of the best pass-rushers in the NFL, and Anderson is coming off a 10-sack season.

•Will the New England Patriots have the NFL's most improved defense?

It's possible, because New England was 31st last year and can't get much worse.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Since taking over that stupid little AFC East blog, Walker has proven two things: He likes black QBs and he knows nothing about the AFC East. It's crap journalism at its crappiest.

Since taking over that stupid little AFC East blog, Walker has proven two things: He likes black QBs and he knows nothing about the AFC East. It's crap journalism at its crappiest.

Where the hell does this come from? And if you mean he likes Cam Newton, how the hell can you fault him for that?

Point well taken. I am not worried about the South as much as I am the West. Jax, Indy and probably Tenn just aren't going to be any good. However KC and Denver might be very good and San Diego will contend as well. If they beat each other up then yes the second place team may be only 8-8 or 9-7. If two of those teams do very well against their NFC opponents they could get to ten wins. I guess I shouldn't count the Raiders out as well. All these teasm could beat each other and the division winner may only be 10-6 or 9-7 but still be a good team.

AFC West plays the NFC South (NO, ATL, CAR, TB) -- a significant factor in my reasoning that the 2nd place team in the West is likely to be worse than 10-6.

The key to Buffalo's success this year is the first seven games of the season prior to the bye week. They have 4 road games against the Jets, Browns, 49ers, and Cardinals. Historically, they have struggled on the road. While I would like to see them win 2 or even 3 of those games, they may only win one. Then we have our home games against the Chiefs, Patriots and Titans. Same story here. I would like to see them win 2 but could also see them just winning one. Being a realist, they could start the first 7 games at 3-4. After the bye, they get 4 more road games against the Texans, Patriots, Colts and Dolphins. That should be two wins or possibly 3 if Williams sees the game as a revenge game. They have a soft home schedule against the Dolphins, Jaguars, Rams, Seahawks, and Jets. I like them to go 4 out of 5 in that late season stretch. If I'm super conservative, I can get to 10 wins. If you really assume that the defense is as good as everyone thinks it is, why couldn't they win the division?

The key to Buffalo's success this year is the first seven games of the season prior to the bye week. They have 4 road games against the Jets, Browns, 49ers, and Cardinals. Historically, they have struggled on the road. While I would like to see them win 2 or even 3 of those games, they may only win one. Then we have our home games against the Chiefs, Patriots and Titans. Same story here. I would like to see them win 2 but could also see them just winning one. Being a realist, they could start the first 7 games at 3-4. After the bye, they get 4 more road games against the Texans, Patriots, Colts and Dolphins. That should be two wins or possibly 3 if Williams sees the game as a revenge game. They have a soft home schedule against the Dolphins, Jaguars, Rams, Seahawks, and Jets. I like them to go 4 out of 5 in that late season stretch. If I'm super conservative, I can get to 10 wins. If you really assume that the defense is as good as everyone thinks it is, why couldn't they win the division?

Because the Patriots don't play the Giants once, much less 6 times and they never seem to lose to anyone else?

Because the Patriots don't play the Giants once, much less 6 times and they never seem to lose to anyone else?

10 of their games (BAL, BUFX2, DEN, NYJX2, IND, MIAX2, HOU) are against teams that HAVE beaten them just in the last 4 years. "seem to lose to anyone else" is just an incorrect perception and not based on reality.

10 of their games (BAL, BUFX2, DEN, NYJX2, IND, MIAX2, HOU) are against teams that HAVE beaten them just in the last 4 years. "seem to lose to anyone else" is just an incorrect perception and not based on reality.

I foolishly thought a certain level of exaggeration was implicit in 'seem'. But you're right they haven't gone undefeated vs the other 30 teams or 8-0 vs any division foe in your arbitrarily picked last 4 years (I wonder why you didn't pick the last 2 or 5 or 6 years). Thanks for setting me straight. :rolleyes:

Edited by BuffOrange