Roger Clemens "Not Guilty"

Bud Adams

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if MLB can do anything about people lying to Congress.

GO BILLS!!!

Should have never gone to Congress to begin with. ~ What I meant was that MLB/sports writers can decide whether or not he gets into the Hall. Without that induction, he's just another "past" pitcher who people will forget about. THAT is the way he should be punished.

With regard to all sports --unless there is something "criminal" -- I don't want to pay for it. And I don't know a single person who does.

BA

Edited by Bud Adams

I don't know if MLB can do anything about people lying to Congress.

GO BILLS!!!

There never should have been Congressional hearings on the subject to begin with.

And like I said...they lie to us, why is it illegal to lie back to them?

(And on a more serious note: where does Congress get the authority to issue subpoenas, anyway?)

Should have never gone to Congress to begin with. ~ What I meant was that MLB/sports writers can decide whether or not he gets into the Hall. Without that induction, he's just another "past" pitcher who people will forget about it. THAT is the way he should be punished.

With regard to all sports --unless there is something "criminal" -- I don't want to pay for it. And I don't know a single person who does.

BA

Illegal steroid distribution is criminal and it was obvious that MLB couldn't be trusted to police itself. Indeed, they encouraged it by looking the other way for so long and they enjoyed the post-strike allure that the newly discovered long-ball brought to the game. By that time, it had gotten to the point that many players were at a competitive disadvantage if they DIDN'T take them. Congress never would have gotten involved if MLB had a clue to begin with.

Of course there are worse crimes and maybe MLB would have gotten around to it eventually and Congress wouldn't have had to step in. But I doubt it.

GO BILLS!!!

There never should have been Congressional hearings on the subject to begin with.

(And on a more serious note: where does Congress get the authority to issue subpoenas, anyway?)

We'll agree to disagree on whether or not Congress should have gotten involved.

It's perfectly OK to lie to Congress and for Congress to lie to us as long as it's not under oath. Legally, anyway. Certainly not morally.

I think Congress gets its authority to issues subpoenas from the Constitutional grant that Congress shall have "all legislative powers." That's worth looking into anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

Washington Post Breaking News:

Star pitcher Roger Clemens not guilty of all charges in perjury case

Legendary pitcher Roger Clemens was found not guilty Monday of all charges in the government’s perjury case against him, including one count of obstructing Congress, three counts of making false statements and two counts of perjury.

Read more at:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/roger-clemens-trial-verdict-reached/2012/06/18/gJQAQxvzlV_story.html

Illegal steroid distribution is criminal...

Then let it be dealt with on a LOCAL level, within the proper jurisdiction. If it becomes a federal case, so be it. But keep Congress the hell out. Not ONE member of Congress attended the trial at any time. Doesn't that tell you something?

...and it was obvious that MLB couldn't be trusted to police itself. Indeed, they encouraged it by looking the other way for so long and they enjoyed the post-strike allure that the newly discovered long-ball brought to the game. By that time, it had gotten to the point that many players were at a competitive disadvantage if they DIDN'T take them. Congress never would have gotten involved if MLB had a clue to begin with.

Do you know what Congress' role is (or SHOULD BE) in our government? I'm not so sure you do, based on the above.

Of course there are worse crimes and maybe MLB would have gotten around to it eventually and Congress wouldn't have had to step in.

Why did Congress have "to step in?" Please explain how this was Congress' business. Hey, if you want to pay for this garbage, it's up to you. I don't.

For the record, I can't stand Clemens, Bonds OR the Yankees. But that's not what this is about. It's about abuse of power, which has become all too common among our LawMAKERS.

BA

Then let it be dealt with on a LOCAL level, within the proper jurisdiction. If it becomes a federal case, so be it. But keep Congress the hell out. Not ONE member of Congress attended the trial at any time. Doesn't that tell you something?

Do you know what Congress' role is (or SHOULD BE) in our government? I'm not so sure you do, based on the above.

Why did Congress have "to step in?" Please explain how this was Congress' business. Hey, if you want to pay for this garbage, it's up to you. I don't.

For the record, I can't stand Clemens, Bonds OR the Yankees. But that's not what this is about. It's about abuse of power, which has become all too common among our LawMAKERS.

BA

In all seriousness, I would question how could it be dealt with at a local level if the drugs were being used and distributed all over the country. I may be wrong but isn't interstate drug trafficking in the amounts that it was being done a federal crime?

Good one. Funny, not a single Wall st. banker arrested. Oops, that's right they take the 5th.

It was a waste of money no matter what the result.

Agree that it should never gone to congress. Disagree .... lying under oath is a criminal matter and he brought it on himself. It was nice that the jurors in the O.J. trial were available to decide this matter. :thumbdown: Clemens looked like an imbecile before congress and I don't think anyone but a Yankee hack believes he is innocent.

Off-Topic.... The guy/gal who posted that it is okay to lie to congress since they lie to us.. that's the problem with this country, a lack of desire to have right and wrong. Standing up for what is right is Now hate speech. He!!, we've got a criminal right now getting paid as the Country's Attorney General. Things that only happened in Russia/China/Cuba are now commonplace in this country ... and very few people give a dam%. I'm not an historian but someone said that "All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent". We see evil on the right and on the left and we say..."Whatever". Being hot or cold about something is much better than the worst word in our culture... "Whatever".

Coaching football seventeen years has made me realize that relationships and caring.. really caring about someone other than the man in the mirror is the only way to achieve happiness and joy. Now that I'm disabled hearing from the guys I coached has been much more gratifying than just living life to acquire things and to watch my Bills play. the word "Whatever" needs to leave all our vocabularies if this place is ever going to get turned around. Okay, off my soap box, sorry if I wasted some of your guys time. Take Care and Go Bills!!! :beer::thumbsup:

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

In all seriousness, I would question how could it be dealt with at a local level if the drugs were being used and distributed all over the country. I may be wrong but isn't interstate drug trafficking in the amounts that it was being done a federal crime?

It's a good point, and my "local" point was case by case, not Clemens-specific, because nothing has been proven.

Distribution alone probably makes it a federal crime; distribution over state lines DEFINITELY does. That said, federal crimes are dealt with in federal courts, in front of a federal judge. They are NOT brought before Congress. And, the only "crime" he was charged with was lying to Congress. Not the REAL crime itself! It's mind-boggling to me.

I can see much better uses for our tax dollars than prosecuting Roger FREAKIN' Clemens for lying to liars. Congress might improve its horrific approval ratings by focusing on -- I don't know -- important stuff? Issues that affect us all?

BA

Edited by Bud Adams

BA

I'm pretty well versed on the roll of Congress in our government, thank-you.

Perhaps you need to re-visit the entire process in this case, starting with why the House Government Reform Committee decided to investigate baseball's testing program and it's impact on steroid use among teenagers in the first place. Whether you like it or not, Congress does have an oversight roll to play. They gave MLB a ton of time and leeway to change their policies and MLB dragged its feet.

This particular case became a "federal" case when prosecutors determined they had ample reason to suspect someone lied to Congress while under oath. It's their job. There is no abuse of power here nor was any Congressman required to attend the trial unless compelled to do so. It's in the hands of the Judiciary branch at that point. That's why it doesn't tell me anything when no member of Congress attended the trial. Not sure what you're reading into that.

Other cases, like BALCO, etc. become federal cases for many other reasons. Like the interstate transport of illegal substances, for example.

If you don't agree with what Congress's role SHOULD BE, as you put it, then write your representative a letter, start a movement, or get yourself elected so you can bring about the change you seek. That would be far more effective than disagreeing with someone in a football fan forum that doesn't share your point of view.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

1340056430[/url]' post='2488421']

Then let it be dealt with on a LOCAL level,

BA

what do the Yankees have to do with any of this? blink.gif

I'm pretty well versed on the roll of Congress in our government, thank-you.

Perhaps you need to re-visit the entire process in this case, starting with why the House Government Reform Committee decided to investigate baseball's testing program and it's impact on steroid use among teenagers in the first place. Whether you like it or not, Congress does have an oversight roll to play. They gave MLB a ton of time and leeway to change their policies and MLB dragged its feet.

This particular case became a "federal" case when prosecutors determined they had ample reason to suspect someone lied to Congress while under oath. It's their job. There is no abuse of power here nor was any Congressman required to attend the trial unless compelled to do so. It's in the hands of the Judiciary branch at that point. That's why it doesn't tell me anything when no member of Congress attended the trial. Not sure what you're reading into that.

Other cases, like BALCO, etc. become federal cases for many other reasons. Like the interstate transport of illegal substances, for example.

If you don't agree with what Congress's role SHOULD BE, as you put it, then write your representative a letter, start a movement, or get yourself elected so you can bring about the change you seek. That would be far more effective than disagreeing with someone in a football fan forum that doesn't share your point of view.

GO BILLS!!!

K-9, they are called "LAWMAKERS" for a reason, and our country is going "FLUSH" rather quickly. If you believe this was Congress' most pressing issue -- especially over the past six years, when things have been B-A-D in so many RELEVANT arenas -- you are in a very tiny minority. Congress oversees federal courts, but RARELY gets this involved, if EVER. This was not the battle they should have picked.

You have the right to your opinion. Disagreeing with it is mine.

I'm refraining from commenting point-by-point because I have partisan views on them all, and that's what another forum on this site is for. If you want to debate me there, feel free.

I've said mine here, and stand by every word.

what do the Yankees have to do with any of this? blink.gif

Nothing, other than Clemens playing for them. Just taking a cheap shot. It's a Monday; Guy's gotta have *some* fun. ~

BA

Edited by Bud Adams