Spiller a "Changed Man" Says Fitz

There are a lot of reasons to be excited this season. Here's one more - in the words of Ryan Fitzpatrick:

"C.J. is a completely changed man. It's been apparent from day one of this off-season. I think the biggest thing with what he did at the end of the year last year, was he got his confidence. You just see how comfortable he is in this system now. He's telling guys, receivers that they're lined up wrong and letting them know... there's just so many things. He's directing people on the field and out of the huddle. I think he's ready to make a big jump. I think mentally he's made a big jump in the last year. With his confidence level where it is right now, we expect big things out of him this year. He really showed last year what he can do."

I wonder if any of that changes Gailey's mind the guy will fall apart if used in games? :ph34r:

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought it was a wasted pick. Maybe because I'm sick of us drafting 1st round RB's, my faith in Fred Jackson, and that Pierre-Paul was best available AND at a huge position of need for us.

Maybe we were just stung from picking Maybin over Orakpo the year before and didn't want to make a mistake like that again for a pass rusher and CJ was so dominant in college it was closer to a sure thing.

Never felt he would be a bust though, just the wrong guy for us at that time.

But hey that's in the past and he's ours now, he works well with Fred and Fitz and adds depth and excitement at a key position.

Well put Webster (NY?) man.

It was obvious Spiller just needed some consistent playing time. I just hope Chan finds a way and actually does use him along with Fred

I think Spiller's success is up to Chan. People on this board were screaming early last season because he got very little playing time and Chan was pass wacky. He only was able to show what he could do after Fred got hurt and Chan had no choice (slight pun there, Chan actually also had Choice).

I've always had a knack for reading people. I can usually tell, in a very brief time, what type of person I'm dealing with - whether they're honest/liar, smart/not so smart, committed/disinterested, etc. I just read people really well. When we drafted Spiller I was happy about it for a number of reasons. For one, the kid is super quick. For two, he's not some tiny back - like Chris Johnson - but, rather, Spiller is a big little dude, if you know what I mean. He is a solid, strong man who can run either around the line or into and through it. In short, I believe he has all the tools to be an every down, top 3 RB in the NFL.

But, above the physical tools, I was very impressed with the OBVIOUS character traits. He is smart. He is committed to winning. This kid didn't come into the NFL with visions of stardom (although, I believe he thought he'd be one of the best in the NFL right away) to the point where he had priorities greater than football. He is the kind of player who is not going to be loud, who is going to work as hard or harder than anyone, and WHO PUTS BEING GREAT above just about everything else.

As far as I'm concerned, not every player sets the bar for themselves as high as they should. I would rather have a player who expects and works towards being the very best, than some player who has a realistic view and only wants to be a solid professional.

So, it's great that we have this kid - and I think he'll end up every bit as good as we all hoped, and I really believe with all the other stuff going on with this team, he'll be one of the surprises who end up hitting lots of big plays, long yardage runs.

Now, my big fear with Spiller is this: that because we don't feature him exclusively, and we put Fred Jackson ahead of him, that Spiller will split as soon as he can, to get a chance with another team to be the sole RB. I've got to believe, considering his high standards, that he wants to start putting up big numbers now. Even if Jackson is pretty much done by the time Spiller's contract comes up, I just have this feeling he'll hold it against Buffalo for not letting him be the man all along, and therefore go elsewhere.

Which leaves us here: we better learn to use his skills and maximize them NOW, while he's cheap and while we've got him. This, to me, is Gailey's biggest challenge this year - learning how to maximize the Bills RB's and running game.

Bust and wasted pick. At least that's what I've read from the best fans in the NFL.

He hasn't done anything still. Being a top 10 pick, you better produce right out of school. Most will argue that we have Freddy starting so its hard for him to see the field. If this is the case, why did we have to draft a RB with a top 10 pick? Wasted pick. I believe you never take a RB top 10 or top 15 unless you have a talent like Adrian Peterson available, and Spiller is no Peterson. There will ALWAYS be talented RBs in rounds 2,3 and 4.

He hasn't done anything still. Being a top 10 pick, you better produce right out of school. Most will argue that we have Freddy starting so its hard for him to see the field. If this is the case, why did we have to draft a RB with a top 10 pick? Wasted pick. I believe you never take a RB top 10 or top 15 unless you have a talent like Adrian Peterson available, and Spiller is no Peterson. There will ALWAYS be talented RBs in rounds 2,3 and 4.

Spiller will have a longer career then Peterson. Write it down.

1339860084[/url]' post='2487476']

This actually occurred to me a few months ago. I would fail if I had to take a course in basket-weaving. Seriously.

We bought a basket from a guy on the beach in Barbados one time, he wove it start to finish in five minutes. Amazing.

I asked him how he learned to do it and he said "I read a book in the NYC public library."

I think Spiller's success is up to Chan. People on this board were screaming early last season because he got very little playing time and Chan was pass wacky. He only was able to show what he could do after Fred got hurt and Chan had no choice (slight pun there, Chan actually also had Choice).

+1, once Freddie went down, cj figured out that five yards between the tackles is better than twenty yards north-south to the sideline for a net gain of one foot. I mean spiller won't be Jerome Bettis anytime soon but at least he learned how to run like an NFL running back

I'm happy to have him, precisely because of the fact that he and Jackson have entirely different running styles. Spiller is better when he can go to the outside where he has pretty impressive speed. He also got better at route running during his time as WR. With some consistent use, he showed that he is entirely capable. Jackson is phenomenal at a really physical style of running.

did you watch him last year? :blink:

I can't reconcile his Wonderlic score with his history of having graduated college early and being on the honor roll in high school. I know football players get help in school, but not enough that they make the honor roll or graduate early.

But whatever. If he can play football, that's all I care about. And if he invests his money wisely, so much the better.

I can't reconcile his Wonderlic score with his history of having graduated college early and being on the honor roll in high school. I know football players get help in school, but not enough that they make the honor roll or graduate early.

But whatever. If he can play football, that's all I care about. And if he invests his money wisely, so much the better.

Agreed- very strange. That's why I guessed some sort of disability that effects reading. If given accommodations he could still be very smart and test well, but bomb the wonderlic.... And be a great player

If Jackson hadnt been unreal and he played more, how do you know he wouldn't have hit his stride earlier?

Spiller will have a longer career then Peterson. Write it down.

Quality over quantity. That's all I have to say.

If Jackson hadnt been unreal and he played more, how do you know he wouldn't have hit his stride earlier?

Did you read what I wrote? Fred has ALWAYS been a great RB for us. It's not like he became an overnight success. Fred was the reason we were able to let go of Marshawn and there were other areas of need that year. Considering how great Fred's been for us, why did we need to take a RB with a top 10 pick?

Kinda sad that Ben Tate has almost outproduced CJ Spiller his entire career despite being taken a whole round later, and having only played one season while playing behind one of the best RBs in the league right now Arian Foster. In 1 year of play, Tate has managed 1,040 yds and 4 TDs in just one season and starting just 2 games whereas Spiller has started 12 games in 2 seasons and has 1,270 yds and 7 TDs.

Edited by FleaMoulds80

The unfortunate thing about your argument is that Chris Johnson is or at least was in that same conversation when talking about backs that are the best in the league and CJ was being talked about as his years Chris Johnson. So apparently he was projected to be taken that high. it should also be pointed out that he was potentially the best offensive weapon to come out that season with the exception to QBs. Regardless, when we picked, Chan saw a future star in the making. Regardless if you or anyone likes him or not he is..... 1. On the team now, 2. Played at a very high level after he was given the ball, 3. Had over a 5yrd average with A line that was Freddys backups, 4. Wasn't even used that much considering Chan was so pass happy and we were down most of the games he played in.

I know we never should have drafted him because of our RB situation at the time and of course we all LOVE Freddy. But CJ is a GOOD player regardless if you or others here think so or not.

did you watch him last year? :blink:

Obviously not.

Just watched the week two Raiders game again.

Spiller was brilliant with 69 yards on 5 touches.

Spiller could become a superstar this year. Some of the plays he made last year were pretty unbelievable. I'm very excited about watching both of our RBs produce in this offense.

Have two running backs from the same team ever gone to the Pro Bowl in the same year?