North Dakota voters to decide on abolishing property taxes

The proponents of this will figure out pretty fast that bureaucracies aren't stupid. The local governments will simply start imposing fees on everything to make up the revenue.

That's how California has managed to stay afloat for the past 30ish years since the voters passed the proposition capping property taxes, and why their budget mess is as bad as it is every year.

The proponents of this will figure out pretty fast that bureaucracies aren't stupid. The local governments will simply start imposing fees on everything to make up the revenue.

That's how California has managed to stay afloat for the past 30ish years since the voters passed the proposition capping property taxes, and why their budget mess is as bad as it is every year.

Prop 13 does not cap property taxes. It only limits the amount of annual increase to 2% which they did every year at least with my properties. Also they can reasses the properties upon resale. So with that 2% annual increase and the boatload of additional money the recieved on the reassessment of all the homes sold during the real estate boom the CA governments have nothing to B word about. They've blown it, and blown it big time.

ND is rolling in new dough thanks to the new found huge oil reserves. They are hoping that they can forgo Property taxes by taxing growth, similar to Florida relying heavily upon snowbirds and tourism to eliminate state income tax.

If these red states had any cojones they would abolish taxes altogether and / or move to a flat tax. Can you say 9-9-9?

I can only imagine if they asked us in Florida if we wanted to stop paying property tax. Coupled with no income tax...it would be nice...and I'm sure our amazing schools would get better haha...probably get a few more professional golfers which would make all of them...

I know nothing of ND but...this is surprising...maybe it shouldn't be

Edited by TheNewBills