College decides to end snail-mail delivery to students in dorms

Until now, the postal service would deliver mail to the halls' front desks, and UTSA staffers and students at the front desk sorted mail into a wall of boxes.

Back when I went to school, the RAs and door guards sorted the mail. All the mailman had to do was drop of the bag/box of mail and pick up any outgoing. Sounds like someone is just being lazy.

Until now, the postal service would deliver mail to the halls' front desks, and UTSA staffers and students at the front desk sorted mail into a wall of boxes.

Back when I went to school, the RAs and door guards sorted the mail. All the mailman had to do was drop of the bag/box of mail and pick up any outgoing. Sounds like someone is just being lazy.

This^

My university has a central mail center, where every student has a private mailbox. Works for us. If we are expecting mail, we just go there. It's great, especially when you're not sure where you'll be living the next year and don't want to worry about changing your address on your subscriptions, applications, etc.

Sounds like someone is trying a back door fee, not unusual for colleges:

they can rent a private mailbox in the University Center for $100 a year

From the ups store.

I'm surprised they didn't just roll a small fee into the already mysterious billing at schools.

How can it be laziness? There is most likey well over 50% less mail now than back in the day. Okay, maybe somebody is lazy, but come on... How long has it gotta take someone to sort the mail in today's era? Unless, since mail has dropped of the cliff... They just don't send anybody out that way anymore... Man-hours, fuel, and other overhead has been cut totally... That is probably more the answer than laziness... It isn't like a truck is going there anyway, why not just take this bag along thing.

How does the college decide to stop mail? I can put a letter in the mail box, address it to Susie Sorority at UTSA and then what? Is it just like if I take my mailbox down?

College is a private community. Just like my inlaws who live in a private neighborhood... The mail doesn't come to their door, they have to go down the street to the boxes. Maybe the college mail all comes to where the business offices are, they gotta get snail mail... Now nobody goes that way (dorms) anymore because mail has dropped off drastically.