Statute of limitations is up.

I know this can be a taboo subject nowaday's but those of you my age [55] did it. Worst was in my 20's going to Micky Rats on the lake. Trays of vodka gimlets, plenty of reefer and it was a MUST you drive 100MPH+ on pitch black Rt 20 home.

Guess my Question is do you ever wonder how you lived through it?

Everyone sang along.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

I know this can be a taboo subject nowaday's but those of you my age [55] did it. Worst was in my 20's going to Micky Rats on the lake. Trays of vodka gimlets, plenty of reefer and it was a MUST you drive 100MPH+ on pitch black Rt 20 home.

My uncle and I talked about this once. He's 61, and there were some mornings in his late teens/early 20's where he'd wake up and couldn't remember driving home the night before. He lived in suburbia, so if he wanted to drink with people he'd have to drive to the bar/party/whatever and drive back home if there was no place to crash for the night.

It's pretty amazing, how much the attitudes towards something can change in 30-40 years.

My uncle and I talked about this once. He's 61, and there were some mornings in his late teens/early 20's where he'd wake up and couldn't remember driving home the night before. He lived in suburbia, so if he wanted to drink with people he'd have to drive to the bar/party/whatever and drive back home if there was no place to crash for the night.

It's pretty amazing, how much the attitudes towards something can change in 30-40 years.

Many a time I was in a bar, then woke up in bed, car in driveway. Zero memory in between.

Many a time I was in a bar, then woke up in bed, car in driveway. Zero memory in between.

I remember one trip in particular when I distinctly remember seeing double and thinking I will be lucky if I dont get myself or someone else killed.

Then waking up the next day in bed with alcohol poisoning. Bad things man. Bad things.

I remember one trip in particular when I distinctly remember seeing double and thinking I will be lucky if I dont get myself or someone else killed.

Then waking up the next day in bed with alcohol poisoning. Bad things man. Bad things.

Double? Try triple. Pick the clearest one. But I did,every time. Weekend after Weekend. I cannot believe I lived though that.

Not proud of it, but I used to do it all the time while in college. Wouldn't think of doing so now.

Never hit anyone or anything, though.

Nor did I, but I think the God looks over drunks and fools thing only go's so far. Luck is all I had, and man am I glad I didn't burn it up.

Definitely. Too many trips to remember either to Fredonia or Sunset Bay. Racing home...I'm lucky to be here.

Definitely. Too many trips to remember either to Fredonia or Sunset Bay. Racing home...I'm lucky to be here.

Maybe worse I can remember rear ending buddies at the few red light's from there- that was A call for a race. LOOK I BURIED THE SPEEDO AT 120! Drunk out of my mind, of course. I think some times think I live on borrowed time. Yet I don't remember any real crashes out there.

A friend and I went to see Valby at Melanies (Main & Transit). I was a passenger. We both got stinking drunk. I tell him"you keep am eye on the center line and I watch out for the line on the side of the road. Made it to Cheektowaga with no problem.

Another time at a local bar I hanged out at I was doing Alabama Slammeres. I was in my mid 20s. I tried picking up a 60-something year old. Got in the car and made it a block. New I was wasted and pulled on a side street. Back then, If the keys were in your pocke, they couldn't get you for DWI. Fell asleep until 8 AM Sunday morning. Was still feeling loopy and made it home.

Another time I'm hitting the Elmwood Strip, had to be early 80s. I remember having 2 drinks. Next thing I remember I,m backing into a chain link fence on Squaw Island. Next thing I know, I wake up the next morning at home. No marks on my car. Stopped drinking for a month or so.

As you said, god looks out for drunks.

The cops had a different attitude. My father's cousin was a Cheektowaga cop. He told us he's on the Kensington in the middle of the night and spots a car in the grass median. The driver has the door open and his feet out the door. When asked, he said "I'm drunk and I can't drive." He tells his rookie partner to follow him. My father's cousin drove the guy home. He said the guy had enough sense to get off the road. Also he said the paperwork would take at least half the shift to complete

Not proud of it... But one time coming back across the border from Fort Erie... In the US there was a sobriety check point with double officers right after the bridge. The car ahead of me gets waved on to the first officer, I get the back officer... The car ahead is cleared and so am I. The officer doing my check yells ahead: "Let this one go Joe, he is okay!" I just want to bust into laughter and say: "No Joe, don't let me go." I keep it straight, tight, and clean as I pass officer Joe silently. I was probably borderline... Not sure if I would have blown either way! Closest call, right in the lion's den... Somebody was watching out for me!

I don't even want to spout my indiscretions but all I will say is I'm lucky to be alive, I've learned from my youthful mistakes, and I now do my utmost to help my friends and acquaintances from being as foolish.

Yeah back in my college days there was many of nights where my friends & I went out & the next day we all wondered who drove home because none of us could remember. The one night middle of winter I am home from winter break & drove home & passed out right in the middle of my parents driveway. It was about 20 degrees out. Thank god my dad was up going to take a leak & saw me. He lugged me in. There is no doubt if he did not get me I would of froze to death that night. Back then I had the mind set it wasn't a good night unless I blacked out & could not remember most of the evening. I never drink & drive anymore. If I know I am going to be out drinking I always make arrangements on how I am going to get before the evening starts. Just to much to lose nowadays.

Oh gosh yes, way too many times in my teens and 20s when I could barely see. Now I get paranoid about driving the one mile between the station and home if I have a couple drinks with dinner in the city before taking the train.

It distresses me more now as a parent than it ever did when I was putting my own life at risk.

Edited by KD in CT

Yeah, plenty of times. Not happy about it, but rational thought is not something that you can count on when drunk. I feel like more often than not I'm right on the borderline of the legal limit but I really try not to go anywhere near my car when really drunk...not to say I haven't in the past but it's something I'm working on.

Now if you're talking driving under the influence of the hippie lettuce, I've done that way more.

Edited by Wooderson