Stephon Gilmore

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't quite get the folks that are intimating that learning 6-8 plays of offense is going to irreparably harm the kid's development at CB. This would not be an instance of having to learn the entire offense. It's merely using a body with certain physical skills to achieve a certain objective for, at most, once or twice a game. Billicheat surely doesn't quibble with all this crap... DEs as FBs, WRs as CBs. If a guy can do it, it's an option. McGee returned KOs from the get-go, did that hinder him? You've gotta maximize the resources when you've only got 53 guys. Learning from the offensive side might also help him on the defense of it. Just sayin'.

Nor do I get the people arguing that it would increase his chance of injury, as if NFL players must be preserved in Tupperware. Go by the number of snaps a guy's taken or whether he feels up to it, but don't EVER say 'Oh, let's save him for exclusive use at CB' as if that's going to guarantee anything. Injuries happen; you can't live your life based on the fear of them or keep a dude on the bench and use someone who's not as good because you can 'afford to lose' a lesser player.

Don't quite get the folks that are intimating that learning 6-8 plays of offense is going to irreparably harm the kid's development at CB. This would not be an instance of having to learn the entire offense. It's merely using a body with certain physical skills to achieve a certain objective for, at most, once or twice a game. Billicheat surely doesn't quibble with all this crap... DEs as FBs, WRs as CBs. If a guy can do it, it's an option. McGee returned KOs from the get-go, did that hinder him? You've gotta maximize the resources when you've only got 53 guys. Learning from the offensive side might also help him on the defense of it. Just sayin'.

Nor do I get the people arguing that it would increase his chance of injury, as if NFL players must be preserved in Tupperware. Go by the number of snaps a guy's taken or whether he feels up to it, but don't EVER say 'Oh, let's save him for exclusive use at CB' as if that's going to guarantee anything. Injuries happen; you can't live your life based on the fear of them or keep a dude on the bench and use someone who's not as good because you can 'afford to lose' a lesser player.

Mcgee was a 4th round pick. He was not drafted to be a starter. When you pick a player 10th, you expect him to start and start early. What benefit does it give us to have him sit in on offensive meetings when he could be watching Film of Tom Brady figuring out how to stop him? What brings more value to the team.

Beleicheck has to put guys like edelman all over the field because he isn't good at drafting players since Pioli and demitroff left

Not concerned about his development. It's the ridiculous notion that Gilmore would/could be used on offense. He was drafted to be a starting CB and that's what he will be. Just getting annoyed at these off the wall suggestions. There's no thought to them.

Not concerned about his development. It's the ridiculous notion that Gilmore would/could be used on offense. He was drafted to be a starting CB and that's what he will be. Just getting annoyed at these off the wall suggestions. There's no thought to them.

Ya. This just about sums it up.

From now on, since I HATE the wildcat, I also have to hate anyone that even suggests the wildcat. IT IS A JOKE!!! And honestly, if anyone here or where ever I go Thinks it's a good idea. I just have to dismiss that persons intelligence. It's also like drugs, I have to chose not to be around that person. In the end it will be better for me. It will be better for all of you here that share my thoughts. Do TBD justice, punch a wildcat fan in the face.

I probabl;y should have posted in my OP that I'm not a huge fan of the wildcat. It was only effective last year in short yardage situations. I'm hoping with the improved OL and a top 5 RB duo we won't have to use it. What I am saying is that I see Brad Smith gone after this year and probably VY unless he is the starter.

If Chan still wants to run the wildcat he would be an option in year two. He has a body of work all 3 of his years in one of the toughest divisions in college. I do think that Chan is aware of this. My guess is that if you were to ask Chan about Gilmore possibly being used in the wildcat he would say something like this, "He's a young kid that we want to get as many reps at CB and while we are aware that he ran it effectively in college I don't think it's something we will be doing right now, we have Brad and Vince".

I understand if you don't think the wildcat is an effective formation anymore. I'm just questioning why some thing it is so far fetched that they would use a top 10 pick at some point in this formation. Top picks are used for PR/KR every year, Spiller,McKelvin, etc. I know their is a higher risk of injury returning kicks than running the wildcat.

Will they use him this year? Hell no, with the croud they have back there and the steep learning curve to be a starting CB. I will say next year if they are still using the wildcat when the croud has thinned out and he has established himself as a starting CB Chan will look at it.

I hate the wildcat. It was clever five years ago and is outdated now. Teams seldom pass out of it, so it's almost always a direct snap to a RB who is going to run. And yeah, even if that "RB" is a part-time QB, part-time WR (Smith), teams STILL know it's going to be a run.

I realize Gailey might like it.

I don't.

Listening to Gailey talk about it before....he seems to like having the package in the game plan mainly because it gives the other team another formation to have to prepare against. If they have to take the time to prepare for the wild cat then they have less time to prepare for other things. When injuries amounted last year and he didn't use it more tells me he may not be to crazy about it, or maybe it was because there was no offseason to implement it in, or maybe they realized that Brad Smith is just not what he expected.

Listening to Gailey talk about it before....he seems to like having the package in the game plan mainly because it gives the other team another formation to have to prepare against. If they have to take the time to prepare for the wild cat then they have less time to prepare for other things. When injuries amounted last year and he didn't use it more tells me he may not be to crazy about it, or maybe it was because there was no offseason to implement it in, or maybe they realized that Brad Smith is just not what he expected.

It's probably a bit of all this. Chan doesn't buy into what the entire league does. He seems to do his own thing when it comes to this type of stuff.

I think he probably, just like most teams know that the Wildcat is good for a 2yard pickup on 3rd down. It's no secret it's a joke. Any QB can hike the ball and fall forward for those same 2 yards. Regardless, coaches (including Chan) will waste plays and roster spits because the success rate on 3rd and 2 is probably a very high percentage put of the wildcat. It's more important to find the overall average of yards per play out of the wildcat formation to get a good guage on it. Somebody who wants to put in the work to find that, I'm sure we'd all be grateful.

Regardless if we like it or not, it's here to stay. Althought the use from it is declining year after year. My guess is coaches are realizing they can pick up the same yards without gimmick offenses.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but do you think Gilmore will see some snaps in the wildcat?

He was a state champion QB in high school and saw some action as QB with the Gamecocks.

I know they will probably get him up to speed as a CB but I'm sure Gailey has thought about this. He's a great athlete and has experience.

Your thoughts?

I think at the pro level, esp. for a rookie, it is better to focus on doing one thing as well as possible. Especially when there are two other wildcat capable, great athletes on the team with more recent experience taking snaps.

Maybe we should try him at WR though - perhaps he could cut down our INT numbers :devil: (just thinking outside the box)

If Chan still wants to run the wildcat he would be an option in year two. He has a body of work all 3 of his years in one of the toughest divisions in college. I do think that Chan is aware of this. My guess is that if you were to ask Chan about Gilmore possibly being used in the wildcat he would say something like this, "He's a young kid that we want to get as many reps at CB and while we are aware that he ran it effectively in college I don't think it's something we will be doing right now, we have Brad and Vince".

This.

I do think it's interesting that Brad Smith is apparently taking a lot of snaps at QB this year. That doesn't sound like the Wildcat is going into mothballs - it sounds more as though they want to see if Smith can build a legitimate passing threat out of the Wildcat

Edited by Hopeful

Ronnie Brown is closer to retirement than going to the Pro bowl again for the Chargers.

The wildcat was run because the Fish had horrible QB play and they were better off not wasting the time to snap it to the QB.

They had a few succesfull weeks.

Brad Smith had a wide wide wide wide open Stevie Johnson on one of the few "wildcat" sets the Bills played last year against the Raiders. He wussed out and tuck the ball and ran.

Why anyone would want the Bills to run gadget plays on regular basis is beyond me.

Yeah we have some NFL quality athelets for a change.

Let's focus on the fact that "our better is better than your better" and win games by putting these athelets in good place to contribute on a regular basis. i.e Brad Smith competing at WR and Stephone Gilmore becoming the new "shutdown" corner.

Yes its fun to talk gadget plays but let's get some Ws the old fashioned way before we start wrinkling the playbook.

It's probably a bit of all this. Chan doesn't buy into what the entire league does. He seems to do his own thing when it comes to this type of stuff.

I think he probably, just like most teams know that the Wildcat is good for a 2yard pickup on 3rd down. It's no secret it's a joke. Any QB can hike the ball and fall forward for those same 2 yards. Regardless, coaches (including Chan) will waste plays and roster spits because the success rate on 3rd and 2 is probably a very high percentage put of the wildcat. It's more important to find the overall average of yards per play out of the wildcat formation to get a good guage on it. Somebody who wants to put in the work to find that, I'm sure we'd all be grateful.

Regardless if we like it or not, it's here to stay. Althought the use from it is declining year after year. My guess is coaches are realizing they can pick up the same yards without gimmick offenses.

I posted something similar few times. With 20 wildcat plays with Smith last year, 8 resulted in first downs--but the majority of those (and the majority of attempts) were on 1 or 2nd downs--not 3rd. In fact, the 8 that were attempted on 3rd down resulted in only 3 1st downs. It was a complete waste of time.

The less we see of tired gimmick plays like this, the better we will be playing is my guess. And the notion (as some put it above, not you mrags) that any other teams spend "waste" significant time having to prepare for the wildcat is not believable.

Actually this off season Gailey said that he was disappointed that he had to scrap it, wanted to use it more, and that our third down percentage suffered after he stopped using it.

I hate the wildcat. It was clever five years ago and is outdated now. Teams seldom pass out of it, so it's almost always a direct snap to a RB who is going to run. And yeah, even if that "RB" is a part-time QB, part-time WR (Smith), teams STILL know it's going to be a run.

I realize Gailey might like it.

I don't.

I would love to see a pass from the wildcat.

Listening to Gailey talk about it before....he seems to like having the package in the game plan mainly because it gives the other team another formation to have to prepare against. If they have to take the time to prepare for the wild cat then they have less time to prepare for other things.

I'm aware of that position. Problem is, it's also one more thing the Bills have to prepare. It takes time away from the Bills practicing other offensive plays, too. Seems like a net gain of zero to me.

I would love to see a pass from the wildcat.

If that happened a higher percentage of the time, I might reassess it.

I'm not sure why the Bills don't just use a RB at the QB position out of the wildcat since they NEVER pass out of it. It would make a lot more sense than Gilmore or even Smith. It might be ok in some very limited situations but the only QB H-back who can really run this formation effectively more often than once every three games now plays for the Jets. If I were the Bills I'd show it every two or three games just to cut into opponents prep time but otherwise forget about it.

Couldn't resist.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but do you think Gilmore will see some snaps in the wildcat?

He was a state champion QB in high school and saw some action as QB with the Gamecocks.

I know they will probably get him up to speed as a CB but I'm sure Gailey has thought about this. He's a great athlete and has experience.

Your thoughts?

My Thoughts are ... Holy smoke we have really picked up some awesome players lately.

In regard to Gilmore, either Chan or Buddy( cant recall) said that we would not use him even as special teams player. I think that They think he is going to be one well of a cornerback. Thats what i think too. But the idea of him in the wildcat or something out of the ordinary would not suprise me this season. we have ALOT of options with the playbook this season with our players