Stephon Gilmore

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but do you think Gilmore will see some snaps in the wildcat?

He was a state champion QB in high school and saw some action as QB with the Gamecocks.

I know they will probably get him up to speed as a CB but I'm sure Gailey has thought about this. He's a great athlete and has experience.

Your thoughts?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes Stephon Gilmore is apparently a very talented athlete and he did play quarterback in high school.

However, he is using those quarterback skills to develop into a quality cornerback and it makes no sense at all to add him to an already crowded mix for the occasional 'wild cat.'

We have Brad Smith ... we have Vince Young (I am assuming he wins the #2 spot behind Fitz) and we even have Freddie Jackson. There is no good reason to waste the developmental time of Gilmore nor risk his getting injured for the sake of this one silly formation.

And, no... I don't think I have read this topic before.

Edited by shoretalk

Yes Stephon Gilmore is apparently a very talented athlete and he did play quarterback in high school.

However, he is not using those quarterback skills to develop into a quality cornerback and there is no good reason at all to add him to an already crowded mix for the occasional 'wild cat.'

We have Brad Smith ... we have Vince Young (I am assuming he wins the #2 spot behind Fitz) and we even have Freddie Jackson. There is no good reason to waste the developmental time of Gilmore nor risk his getting injured for the sake of this one silly formation.

And, no... I don't think I have read this topic before.

The risk of injury outweights, the benefit of one or two plays.

I like thinking outside the box, though. Garrison Sanborn at free safety perhaps?

I'm not saying I want Chan to use Gilmore in the wildcat. I'm saying it is a possibility. I'm not really thinking outside the box and pulling this out of my arse as you can see from the following links:

Yahoo SPorts

ESPN Video

Just two links and you can find many more by just searching on Google.

He played CB, HB, QB(wild cat) and WR as well as punt returner with the Cocks. I don't think they will have him take snaps this season on offense but I wouldn't put it past Gailey in the future. How long will Brad Smith be here with all these other options?

Someone mentioned not risking him getting injured. I don't buy that. I'm sure he'll get some punt or kick returns at least in preseason which there is a much higher risk of getting injured than taking a few snaps as a wildcat QB. IMHO.

I'm not saying I want Chan to use Gilmore in the wildcat. I'm saying it is a possibility. I'm not really thinking outside the box and pulling this out of my arse as you can see from the following links:

Yahoo SPorts

ESPN Video

Just two links and you can find many more by just searching on Google.

He played CB, HB, QB(wild cat) and WR as well as punt returner with the Cocks. I don't think they will have him take snaps this season on offense but I wouldn't put it past Gailey in the future. How long will Brad Smith be here with all these other options?

Someone mentioned not risking him getting injured. I don't buy that. I'm sure he'll get some punt or kick returns at least in preseason which there is a much higher risk of getting injured than taking a few snaps as a wildcat QB. IMHO.

So you want to use your top 10 pick at corner because he played QB in HS and took some snaps in college in the wildcat? Nick Barnett played QB in HS. Line him up under center. Fitz has made a few tackles in his career, maybe he could back up Byrd.

There isn't a big advantage to having a top ten pick who you hope to be a starter, learn another position on the other side of the ball. It will only make him ok at a few positions instead of excellent at the one you drafted him for

I hate the wildcat. It was clever five years ago and is outdated now. Teams seldom pass out of it, so it's almost always a direct snap to a RB who is going to run. And yeah, even if that "RB" is a part-time QB, part-time WR (Smith), teams STILL know it's going to be a run.

I realize Gailey might like it.

I don't.

I didn't say I wanted him to play in the wildcat. I'd repost but it's to difficult from my phone. What I'm saying is he has played quite a bit on offense at a major football college in a major conference and it's not out of the question that Chan and company would look at him in the future.

The father of the wildcat and the last head coach to still run this formation are on the Bills coaching staff as I'm sure you are aware.

I love Brad Smith for the short yardage he picks up but that's all he offered the team. With an improved offensive line I think they should be able to pound the rock.

Unless Brad offers more then this in the upcoming season I don't see them wasting the money or roster spot on him.

VY will only be here next season if he starts or gets some playing time and a shot to start the following season. He's not staying to be the Bills long term backup.

Fred is not a great option in the wildcat.

I live down in SC and watched a lot of Gilmore and he was used successfully in quite a few offensive plays.

What I'll say again in different words is that I believe in the future they will use him in the wildcat. I do realize that he needs to learn and get as many snaps at CB as possible since he probably is slotted as a day one starter.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before but do you think Gilmore will see some snaps in the wildcat?

He was a state champion QB in high school and saw some action as QB with the Gamecocks.

I know they will probably get him up to speed as a CB but I'm sure Gailey has thought about this. He's a great athlete and has experience.

Your thoughts?

My thoughts are no..

Your thoughts?

No offense...But the Bills have Brad Smith AND Vince Young...And you're wondering if our 1st Rd CB is going to get snaps in the wildcat?

Seriously? :huh:

JMO...But I'm actually quite sure Gailey has not given it a thought whatsoever... B-)

First of all. MOST successful football players played QB in high school. They are the majority of players that get recruited. I'd say it's the majority of position in highschool that is scouted by colleges. RBs probably a close second. It's just the way it is. These 2 positions early on give college scouts some idea of thier heads for the game and thier physical abilities.

Second, I can't wait until the wildcat is no longer on this planet. It's a joke of a formation and the fact that there are threads that bring up using 1st round (potentially the best DB) in the draft CBs as a freaking gimmick play QB. Can we please stop with this crap. That's what 3-5 round guys that aren't good at any position but just good athletes are for on your team. Ronnie Brown, Reggie Bush, Kordell Stewart, Brad Smith, Tim Tebow. the list goes on and on. None of these guys are good at any one position enough to be an unquestionable starter so we make up stupid plays for them. It needs to stop. If they aren't good enough to hold a position without question, they shouldn't be on the team. Brad Smith, Roscoe Parrish (thank god he's gone) I'm talking to you!!!

1339287153[/url]' post='2483747']

Your thoughts?

No

I'm not sure why the Bills don't just use a RB at the QB position out of the wildcat since they NEVER pass out of it. It would make a lot more sense than Gilmore or even Smith. It might be ok in some very limited situations but the only QB who can really run this formation effectively more often than once every three games now plays for the Jets. If I were the Bills I'd show it every two or three games just to cut into opponents prep time but otherwise forget about it.

There would be nothing "sneaky" creative or smart about putting Gilmore in offense. You don't take a cb that needs to stay at cb to learn and mess up his learning opportunities for a couple wild cat plays. If you want to use anybody for the wildcat it would be wiser to use Vincent Young. Pass better and its "sneakier". This is a ridiculous suggestion. When is the season going to be here!

No

NewEra I agree with what you've said but I think your reply on this particular topic is too lengthy. A simple .. would suffice. Maybe even a . No, after some more thought I think your reply is appropriate.

I didn't say I wanted him to play in the wildcat. I'd repost but it's to difficult from my phone. What I'm saying is he has played quite a bit on offense at a major football college in a major conference and it's not out of the question that Chan and company would look at him in the future.

The father of the wildcat and the last head coach to still run this formation are on the Bills coaching staff as I'm sure you are aware.

I love Brad Smith for the short yardage he picks up but that's all he offered the team. With an improved offensive line I think they should be able to pound the rock.

Unless Brad offers more then this in the upcoming season I don't see them wasting the money or roster spot on him.

VY will only be here next season if he starts or gets some playing time and a shot to start the following season. He's not staying to be the Bills long term backup.

Fred is not a great option in the wildcat.

I live down in SC and watched a lot of Gilmore and he was used successfully in quite a few offensive plays.

What I'll say again in different words is that I believe in the future they will use him in the wildcat. I do realize that he needs to learn and get as many snaps at CB as possible since he probably is slotted as a day one starter.

with all due respect, yes it is out of the question. I will bet everything I own that Gailey has not considered this.