Translation please

Day 5 OTA Transcript:

Some slang terminology I've never heard before. Your assistance with translation please? (I think his "warnings" are within bounds and couth. He's not saying we're the best, we're better than you, just "be ready, we'll be scary" (I hope so - for a change, say I)

On how OTAs are going so far:

I think they’ve been going pretty good. We’re gelling with the new teammates, really liking the guys and really liking what they bring to the table. When we get them to put their toys on I’m going to be scared for who goes against us.

"Put their toys on" = "pads" "full gear"? Never heard that phrase before (sheltered?)

On how he gets to be at the point where he’s ready to go:

I just have to chop at that wood. You’ve got to keep chopping onto the old wood until the season is over. It never stops.

Chop at that wood?

Thanks in advance!

"Chopping wood" is, I would think, a euphemism for putting in the necessary effort to get a job done.

"Put their toys on" would have to mean the full uniform -- nothing else makes any sense.

"Put their toys on"....... it involves lesbians. Chopping wood, not something I would try.

well Hopeful, you put it on a platter for him and then he just shined it up for you! lol nice post

Edited by 3rdand12

Put their toys on is clearly full uniform... I can see how he refers to it as toys cuz they "play" with them on. Not off...

The chopping wood thing has to be an Alabama thing but I watch enough swamp people to understand what he means... It means keep putting in work... The smaller the wood the easier it is to light the fire maybe?...

Edited by DefenseWinzChampionshipz

hes referring to toys in the attick, which is an old aerosmith song, it means crazy which means hes saying once the games start for realsies its gonna be all crazy up in hmya. black guys always stealing our phrases

Chopping wood means never try to take a euphemism and make it literal - to wit:

Del Rio's bad idea

Great find - that's hysterical! OK, it's hysterical now that it's 2012 and something that happened in 2003 is over and healed.

Someone ought to tweet this link to Dareus "careful with that wood choppin', man"

Some people should not be trusted with a nail, let alone a hammer

Put their toys on is clearly full uniform... I can see how he refers to it as toys cuz they "play" with them on. Not off...

The chopping wood thing has to be an Alabama thing but I watch enough swamp people to understand what he means... It means keep putting in work... The smaller the wood the easier it is to light the fire maybe?...

Sounds about right

I still assume he was working towards a comment about all the new toys for the defense (Mario, Anderson, etc...) and just flubbed the line a little bit. Basically "once all the new toys get out there it's going to be fun" kind of statement. I don't think it was much in the way of new ways to talk about pads or anything else suggested. These are humans and sound bites get messed up sometimes.

I know I've had two different ways to say something on my mind before and blended them by accident before.

Edited by NoSaint