Gronk signes 6 yr extension with the *pats

I can't imagine Wes Welker would be too happy about this. He's been the best WR in the league For years if your talking receptions and they dogged him with the franchise tag and signed a 23-24 yo TE with the largest contract ever for the position. Not saying he's not worth rhe money if he continues what he's done, but Welker can't be happy about getting shafted. Let the locker room tear itself apart please.

Lord Help us all, what this man will do with this type of money will be shameful.

"They never shoulda gave you Gronks money!"

Haters gonna hate.

Wonder if he'd invest it with the Bills?

I can't imagine Wes Welker would be too happy about this. He's been the best WR in the league For years if your talking receptions and they dogged him with the franchise tag and signed a 23-24 yo TE with the largest contract ever for the position. Not saying he's not worth rhe money if he continues what he's done, but Welker can't be happy about getting shafted. Let the locker room tear itself apart please.

Welker is a lil b*tch

He will be chronically injured and out of the league in a few years. His joints can't support that combination of speed and mass. Thats why the guaranteed was a bit low for the threat he is when healthy.

Naw, it was low because for 1/8th of the games, he'll be just a blocker. ;)

As a TE it speaks of crazy money, IMO. teams, especially in the AFCE have built their squads this year to diminish Gronks "abilities". BB was smart with this deal. It shows me that they really only believe he can keep it up (If healthy) for a couple of years at which point they will hold the cards on what to do with him. Also, his none football activities suggest he's a bit of a playboy. I wish him well (when he's not playing the Bills) he deserves the credit and respect, but the deal isn't as sick as it appears at first glance.

Tim-

This has been the Patriots MO for years now.

Look at how many players they've given unspectacular contracts, even to some top players.

Aside from Brady, Wilfork and now Gronkowski, who else has gotten an enormous contract?

Yeah, looks like he won't ever come here until maybe after 12 yrs and he is shot. Hope some day we can enter the modern NFL and get a big play TE.

Yeah, that big play TE for the Giants -- you know, old whatshisname -- really showcased the "modern NFL" in the Super Bowl.

I actually look at this as good for the Bills in the near future as its a big number sitting on the Pats* cap, so its likely that in free agency with him and Welker getting huge deals they won't be able to make as many moves.

Yeah, and while there is now doubt Gronk is good, how much of his success is pegged to defenses having to game plan for Welker? If I'm Welker, I'm holding out. The Pats want to play hard ball, then he should too. See how well Gronk does w/o Welker. If he performs well, great, then he got the $ he deserves. If not, Welker can use that as leverage for more $. (And I doubt they will be able to resign Hernedez when his contract is up. Perhaps he would like to play for another AFC East team.....).

Edited by RyanC883