Do you tailgate using kimmulweck rolls?

A food magazine is looking to talk to Bills fans who use Weck rolls in tailgating. Apparently some people use them on burgers as well as roast beef. Send me a PM with contact info. I will pass it along.

PTR

A food magazine is looking to talk to Bills fans who use Weck rolls in tailgating. Apparently some people use them on burgers as well as roast beef. Send me a PM with contact info. I will pass it along.

PTR

Ah, my mouth is watering as I read this. Does anyone know if there is a local baker that will ship them?

Ah, my mouth is watering as I read this. Does anyone know if there is a local baker that will ship them?

They would never last a day in the mail. Buy plain bulky rolls, brush them with egg or water, sprinkle kosher salt and caraway seeds, then toast in the oven.

I'm surprised no one wanted the fame of being interviewed by Food Network magazine.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Beat me to it PTR, I was gonna give the recipe too.

I've done it by brushing a little au jus on and then adding the seed and salt. No toasting needed. :thumbsup:

We make them out in Colorado a couple times per season.

Beat me to it PTR, I was gonna give the recipe too.

I've done it by brushing a little au jus on and then adding the seed and salt. No toasting needed. :thumbsup:

We make them out in Colorado a couple times per season.

This is the kind of stuff they are looking for. Sure you don't want to be interviewed?

PTR

A while back, I moved to Northern New York, near Potsdam and I was very disappointed that I couldn't find kimmelwick rolls in our area. My wife found out that you could brush egg whites on a plain kaiser roll, sprinkle kosher(or sea) salt & caraway seed on them and then pop them in the oven for a few minutes. It works great!!

A friend of mine found a place where horseradish has been growing for years. I helped him dig them up and man, they were huge! We canned a bunch of it. Best horseradish I have ever tasted.

The AMVETS Post I belong to now regularly feasts on the best Beef on Weck within 100 miles. I still have family in western New York so when ever I visit, I will bring kimmelwick rolls home so we don't have to fart around making them. I've found that you can freeze them if you double bag them and take out the excess air before sealing them. They'll last quite a long time in the freezer.

It's a hit around here now. You can get the beef pretty much anywhere, but I think I can honestly say, no one has better horseradish. The best horseradish is not grown in a single season. It takes years for it to develop right. I started growing my own last year and I don't think it will even be ready this year. Probably some, but I'm thinking the best harvests will be next year and on.

It's great sandwich. I've actually been to Philly and though there's is a great sandwich, there is nothing that tastes more like home than a Beef on Weck.

Edited by Rockinon

There's a guy here in Salt Lake originally from Rochester, I believe, who opened up a diner/grill and serves beef on wecks on Wednesdays with kimmelwecks he gets from a baker around here. Man is that awesome.