The Official Euro 2012 thread

I know there's a lot of England fans here, but it would've been a travesty if Italy had let them get away with stealing another game.

That "park the bus" junk is so wack. Then again, if Italy can't capitalize on even one of a ridiculous amount of chances, maybe they don't deserve to win either.

Congrats Meazza, but I got to warn you: If Italy can't figure out how to finish they are in big trouble Thursday. Certainly Germany won't give them all those chances, and they're bound to generate a slew of their own.

Even though I think Germany's talent outweighs that of Italy's squad in this tournament, Italy's got some dangerous players which should make this a match for the ages.

*Bart Scott voice* "Can't wait!"

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know there's a lot of England fans here, but it would've been a travesty if Italy had let them get away with stealing another game.

That "park the bus" junk is so wack. Then again, if Italy can't capitalize on even one of a ridiculous amount of chances, maybe they don't deserve to win either.

Congrats Meazza, but I got to warn you: If Italy can't figure out how to finish they are in big trouble Thursday. Certainly Germany won't give them all those chances, and they're bound to generate a slew of their own.

Even though I think Germany's talent outweighs that of Italy's squad in this tournament, Italy's got some dangerous players which should make this a match for the ages.

*Bart Scott voice* "Can't wait!"

I agree with you but if you scroll up to the beginning of the tournament, I believe I claimed this team is a dark horse and many unproven players. I don't agree with the subs but I get why he did them.

I'm satisfied that Italy reached the semi's.

What really surprised and encouraged me is that they attacked the whole game. Previous Italy teams would have parked the bus and countered but that wasn't the case this time. They held possession, took their chances and managed to squeeze one out.

Next Thursday is the rematch of the ages.

By the way, cheers to the England fans on this board. Mean no disrespect.

Edited by meazza

I agree with you but if you scroll up to the beginning of the tournament, I believe I claimed this team is a dark horse and many unproven players. I don't agree with the subs but I get why he did them.

I'm satisfied that Italy reached the semi's.

What really surprised and encouraged me is that they attacked the whole game. Previous Italy teams would have parked the bus and countered but that wasn't the case this time. They held possession, took their chances and managed to squeeze one out.

Next Thursday is the rematch of the ages.

To be clear, I was referring to England parking the bus.

It's refreshing to see Italy put the pedal to the metal with their relentless pressure. It is a testament to their talent and fitness that they didn't wither like Ukraine did when England allowed them to pretty much run free in their own end.

Also, I forgot to give Pirlo a big :thumbsup: for the Panenka PK. Talk about coglioni!!

I don't agree with your assessment of De Rossi but Italy held the ball most of the game. De Rossi and Balo together had 6 clear chances.

I lost 10 years of my life today.

Forza Azzurri.

!@#$ England.

Oh come on, you can still love your team and recognize that this guy is a diving, cheating douchebag! lol Did you see the shirt pull on Terry?? Every match of Italy I see this guy is trying to become a write-in candidate for the Oscars. There's no need to rely on that sort of crap when you're as talented as they are...you don't see Pirlo pulling that nonsense!

To be clear, I was referring to England parking the bus.

It's refreshing to see Italy put the pedal to the metal with their relentless pressure. It is a testament to their talent and fitness that they didn't wither like Ukraine did when England allowed them to pretty much run free in their own end.

Also, I forgot to give Pirlo a big :thumbsup: for the Panenka PK. Talk about coglioni!!

I understand what you meant. Italy didn't park the bus though they used to and it used to drive me !@#$ing nuts. But having opportunity after opportunity, it would have been nice to win this without shootout.

The first shot that De Rossi hit the left post was insane. Would've changed the whole game. I fear he was subbed due to fitness which is worrisome since he's been by far, the most complete player for Italy.

Yes Pirlo is insane. Seems like that PK he took put the pressure on England.

Oh come on, you can still love your team and recognize that this guy is a diving, cheating douchebag! lol Did you see the shirt pull on Terry?? Every match of Italy I see this guy is trying to become a write-in candidate for the Oscars. There's no need to rely on that sort of crap when you're as talented as they are...you don't see Pirlo pulling that nonsense!

I don't remember the moment you were talking about. DDR is an aggressive player, Pirlo isn't.

I don't know why he got subbed. I'm just happy he didn't get the second yellow which would have knocked him out of the semi-final.

Edited by meazza

I don't remember the moment you were talking about. DDR is an aggressive player, Pirlo isn't.

I don't know why he got subbed. I'm just happy he didn't get the second yellow which would have knocked him out of the semi-final.

I have a lot of respect for "aggressive", but when that turns into "dirty" I just think it takes away from the game.

The play i'm talking about happened on a corner in the first part of the 2nd half. DeRossi got a fist hold of Terry's jersey and literally yanked him nearly all the way to the ground. Terry threw a fit afterward, but the refs didn't see it/call it. I actually have to give the refs a lot of credit...they clearly missed this call, but for the most part they let them play. I didn't really notice a lot of diving either, which is a big reason why I enjoyed the match as much as I did.

Edited by ajzepp

I have a lot of respect for "aggressive", but when that turns into "dirty" I just think it takes away from the game.

The play i'm talking about happened on a corner in the first part of the 2nd half. DeRossi got a fist hold of Terry's jersey and literally yanked him nearly all the way to the ground. Terry threw a fit afterward, but the refs didn't see it/call it. I actually have to give the refs a lot of credit...they clearly missed this call, but for the most part they let them play. I didn't really notice a lot of diving either, which is a big reason why I enjoyed the match as much as I did.

the yellow cards were way off. well reffed

Bleh. Italy deserved that match, missed chances or not. Congrats, but I'll be rooting for the Krauts in the semifinal. Can't bring myself to cheer for Italy :devil:

Since when is shirt pulling a dirty play? The guy is clearly developed into one of the better defensive midfielders and if he can't play Thursday due to injury (the reason why he was subbed), it will be a huge gap in the midfield. I think you're just hating on the guy because of the incident in 2006 which, he himself admitted was a huge mistake.

Bleh. Italy deserved that match, missed chances or not. Congrats, but I'll be rooting for the Krauts in the semifinal. Can't bring myself to cheer for Italy :devil:

:lol: No worries. I will say both teams are playing well but Italy lacks a true goal scorer a la Mario Gomez. That might be the difference but we shall see what approach Cesare uses.

Since when is shirt pulling a dirty play? The guy is clearly developed into one of the better defensive midfielders and if he can't play Thursday due to injury (the reason why he was subbed), it will be a huge gap in the midfield. I think you're just hating on the guy because of the incident in 2006 which, he himself admitted was a huge mistake.

:lol: No worries. I will say both teams are playing well but Italy lacks a true goal scorer a la Mario Gomez. That might be the difference but we shall see what approach Cesare uses.

Shirt "tugging" for positioning is just part of the game. Grabbing the guy's shirt and literally pulling him half way to the ground to where he's completely taken out of the play is some bowlsheeat.

I don't hold grudges.

Shirt "tugging" for positioning is just part of the game. Grabbing the guy's shirt and literally pulling him half way to the ground to where he's completely taken out of the play is some bowlsheeat.

I don't hold grudges.

Regardless, De Rossi might not be fit to play on Thursday which scares the **** out of me. No way the midfield will have as much space as they had against England.

They need to find a way to start scoring those chances or else they're toast.:cry:

Regardless, De Rossi might not be fit to play on Thursday which scares the **** out of me. No way the midfield will have as much space as they had against England.

They need to find a way to start scoring those chances or else they're toast.:cry:

I'm fully expecting Italy to look absolutely nothing like how they played yesterday. The current version of your team is just completely unpredictable, to say the least. I gained a lot of confidence seeing how the Germans responded when Greece kicked them in the shins with that (beautiful) goal to tie it at 1-1...we pretty much went ape-shite on them after that and could score at will. Hopefully we will take the Italy match a bit more seriously.

It's been reported over here Bastian Schweinsteiger told a German newspaper he has an ankle injury. Or has had one for about 7 months or so. I guess they are making the claim he might not play Thursday, well that's what the opinion of the guys on Sky Sports said.

Honestly, if he has been playing in it this long I doubt he sits.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

I'm fully expecting Italy to look absolutely nothing like how they played yesterday. The current version of your team is just completely unpredictable, to say the least. I gained a lot of confidence seeing how the Germans responded when Greece kicked them in the shins with that (beautiful) goal to tie it at 1-1...we pretty much went ape-shite on them after that and could score at will. Hopefully we will take the Italy match a bit more seriously.

You think Germany who hasn't beaten Italy in any competition since 1970 wouldn't take this match seriously? :P

I seriously think the only difference between both teams is a pure poacher but I would be willing to bet a lot that this will be a 120 + minute contest.

http://www.football-italia.net/20385/germany-can-be-beaten-insists-prandelli

“We have to face Germany with the knowledge that we can play our own game.

“We can’t sit back and defend in front of our penalty area. I’d prefer to concede a goal on the counter-attack rather than to suffer in defence for 20 minutes.

Edited by meazza

You think Germany who hasn't beaten Italy in any competition since 1970 wouldn't take this match seriously? :P

I seriously think the only difference between both teams is a pure poacher but I would be willing to bet a lot that this will be a 120 + minute contest.

http://www.football-italia.net/20385/germany-can-be-beaten-insists-prandelli

I definitely agree with your coach that Germany can be beaten, but after seeing Italy play a few matches this tourney I'm convinced that we'll be able to score on you without too much of a problem. In 2006 your defense was just nuts...clearly they were the best team in the world and they deserved to win the WC. But the current team seems like an entirely different animal to me just based on what I've seen over the last couple weeks. If Balotelli finds the right combination of psych meds before Thursday, you guys could put up a goal or two on us for sure...hopefully he'll be as bipolar and inconsistent for this match as he's been this entire tourney, though. I have to work Thursday, so I need to find a way to still see the match...

...anyone know if it will be shown online??

It's been reported over here Bastian Schweinsteiger told a German newspaper he has an ankle injury. Or has had one for about 7 months or so. I guess they are making the claim he might not play Thursday, well that's what the opinion of the guys on Sky Sports said.

Honestly, if he has been playing in it this long I doubt he sits.

Where are you, Wayne? The UK?

...anyone know if it will be shown online??

If you have cable and already pay for espn you can watch it online, just go to epsn3.com. You will have to verify that you subscribe to a cable package that includes espn, which is easy if you know your account info, but maybe a pain if you have to look it up. I'd give it a test run sometime before you're at work and may not have access to figure that stuff out.

If not there are some reliable streaming sites. My favorite is

thefirstrow.eu

Thanks Flapster...do you know if that will work on my ESPN mobile app?

There is a WatchESPN app, idk if that's what you mean. It's different than the ESPN Scorecenter app which only has play by play for the Euros.

For the WatchESPN app, you'll have to log in with your cable account info same as the espn3 website. Or get a friend's info. I don't have cable TV, so I use my parent's cable account. :pirate:

I definitely agree with your coach that Germany can be beaten, but after seeing Italy play a few matches this tourney I'm convinced that we'll be able to score on you without too much of a problem. In 2006 your defense was just nuts...clearly they were the best team in the world and they deserved to win the WC. But the current team seems like an entirely different animal to me just based on what I've seen over the last couple weeks. If Balotelli finds the right combination of psych meds before Thursday, you guys could put up a goal or two on us for sure...hopefully he'll be as bipolar and inconsistent for this match as he's been this entire tourney, though. I have to work Thursday, so I need to find a way to still see the match...

Yes Cannavaro/Nesta and co were probably the best combination of center backs in the game but let's not forget that Lippi (like all traditional Italian coaches) play defense + counterattack (something England tried doing yesterday but utterly failed).

This coach is different. He is playing a possession style attacking game which did a damn fine job against the defending world/euro champs. Yes they could give up goals but I think they will also score as well. If they would play a park the bus, counterattack game, then I guarantee not many teams would be able to score. Di Natale will start Thursday and he is well rested. I suspect Cassano will come off the bench as a super-sub. Balo is only 21 years old and I think he will make a mark in this game (i really hope so).

I took Thursday off to watch the game :D

Edited by meazza

There is a WatchESPN app, idk if that's what you mean. It's different than the ESPN Scorecenter app which only has play by play for the Euros.

For the WatchESPN app, you'll have to log in with your cable account info same as the espn3 website. Or get a friend's info. I don't have cable TV, so I use my parent's cable account. :pirate:

Yep, the watch ESPN app was what I was hoping would work, but doesn't look like DirecTV is one of the providers that allows for watching the streams on the app...major bummer :(

Yes Cannavaro/Nesta and co were probably the best combination of center backs in the game but let's not forget that Lippi (like all traditional Italian coaches) play defense + counterattack (something England tried doing yesterday but utterly failed).

This coach is different. He is playing a possession style attacking game which did a damn fine job against the defending world/euro champs. Yes they could give up goals but I think they will also score as well. If they would play a park the bus, counterattack game, then I guarantee not many teams would be able to score. Di Natale will start Thursday and he is well rested. I suspect Cassano will come off the bench as a super-sub. Balo is only 21 years old and I think he will make a mark in this game (i really hope so).

I took Thursday off to watch the game :D

Yep, even for someone who only sees Italy in the major tourneys, it's very easy to see the contrasts between this current team and the 2006 champs...and of course the Germans have shifted their approach, as well, so that makes things all the more interesting. I need to find a way to take off for this match...I'm not going to be productive at work anyway, cause I'll just be trying to follow the action lol.