The Official Euro 2012 thread

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some entertaining futbal played today! That heel goal by the English guy was sick! One of the signature goals of the tourney for sure.

!@#$ing pieces of !@#$ing ****.

God !@#$ing dammit. There are no words to describe how pissed I am.

I guess you are feeling better today given Englands win.

The winning goal with the heel flip is the goal of the tournament...so far

Some entertaining futbal played today! That heel goal by the English guy was sick! One of the signature goals of the tourney for sure.

The save by Isaksson on John Terry's point blank header was sick also.

So wack that the games are played at the same time each day for the rest of the first round. :thumbdown:

I agree, that is bogus...I thought it was a typo today

I agree, that is bogus...I thought it was a typo today

This is because of an obviously (but unprovable) fixed result at a previous World Cup. Because the other game finished early Austria and West Germany (as it was then) knew the only result that would result in both teams going through was a 1-0 Austrian win. (Or German one, I forget which). 10 minutes in a goal was scored. The last time there was any action in the rest of the game. Seriously - 80 minutes of the teams passing it to one another, and that was it. Made the Pats* all look like saints (not Saints, BTW) in comparison. So from now on the last group gasmes are played in tandem to avoid this kind of asshattery (or at least make it far less likely).

This is because of an obviously (but unprovable) fixed result at a previous World Cup. Because the other game finished early Austria and West Germany (as it was then) knew the only result that would result in both teams going through was a 1-0 Austrian win. (Or German one, I forget which). 10 minutes in a goal was scored. The last time there was any action in the rest of the game. Seriously - 80 minutes of the teams passing it to one another, and that was it. Made the Pats* all look like saints (not Saints, BTW) in comparison. So from now on the last group gasmes are played in tandem to avoid this kind of asshattery (or at least make it far less likely).

die schande von cordoba

Oh wow, interesting...are you sure it was the Germans involved in such a thing and not the Canadians or the French?

Thanks Greece.. You are busting the world's economy and

you just killed my bracket.

Greece and Czech moving on. Russia and Poland going home.

Well, Poland's trip is a lot shorter.

Having the games at the same time is no problem.

Cuts down on the chicanery

Oh wow, interesting...are you sure it was the Germans involved in such a thing and not the Canadians or the French?

Nope, Germans all right.

Personally I think FIFA should go further on cheating, using video evidence to hand out pretty stringent penalties to obvious dives (Eg: when no one is near a player, or collapsing to the ground grasping face when all that has been done is someone put a hand on a player's chest (both these are normally an attempt to get a free kick/penalty/an opposinbg player booked or sent off), an undetected handball that stops/results in a goal). Ban players for one (or more, depending on the severity) games for these infractions and the number of dives/amount of cheating will be reduced.

Refs can not possibly spot everything and at this level there should be something in place that stops such frickin' annoying chicanery. Soccer is full of wannabe Belichicks.

Nope, Germans all right.

Personally I think FIFA should go further on cheating, using video evidence to hand out pretty stringent penalties to obvious dives (Eg: when no one is near a player, or collapsing to the ground grasping face when all that has been done is someone put a hand on a player's chest (both these are normally an attempt to get a free kick/penalty/an opposinbg player booked or sent off), an undetected handball that stops/results in a goal). Ban players for one (or more, depending on the severity) games for these infractions and the number of dives/amount of cheating will be reduced.

Refs can not possibly spot everything and at this level there should be something in place that stops such frickin' annoying chicanery. Soccer is full of wannabe Belichicks.

Amen! That's the one aspect of the game where I will totally agree with the haters...the diving is asinine, and quite frankly I'm embarrassed as hell when either a German or American player does it. Have some integrity for fux sake!!

Nope, Germans all right.

Completely agree. They look like fools when they take a dive, especially when they show it on replay. Then the player lays around on the ground, acting it up, obviously looking around for an ref.

But... they will continue to do it so long as they get the call, which they do. There was one ref, in a Premier League match, this year that did hand out a yellow card for a dive. Sports writers here in England made a big deal of it, applauding the ref. But that was about it as far as I can remember for the ENTIRE football season.

Its pathetic, honestly, that players do it. It's like, just play the game! It's what makes watching and enjoying football so hard sometimes.

FWIW, Karagounis got a yellow yesterday for diving/embellishment. The play itself was a close call but since he's a serial diver, he's not going to get the benefit of the doubt from the ref.

I don't know what can be done to curb the diving epidemic - it's a slippery slope from the obvious dive to the "well, he might've been able to stay on his feet." Then, when you overanalyze these plays in slow-motion, the play itself becomes distorted. I don't want replay reviews during the game. Maybe after the games, if it is surely a dive or there's some phantom contact, you can book or fine the player. But again, you'll still be wandering into that slippery slope territory. For every undisputed dive there will be a disputable call, even with the "aid" of a replay.

Also, I get why the games are played simultaneously, but it's still wack for the audience. Wouldn't you guys rather watch two games back to back than try to juggle two at once? I know there's no practical alternative, I was just venting.

FWIW, Karagounis got a yellow yesterday for diving/embellishment. The play itself was a close call but since he's a serial diver, he's not going to get the benefit of the doubt from the ref.

I don't know what can be done to curb the diving epidemic - it's a slippery slope from the obvious dive to the "well, he might've been able to stay on his feet." Then, when you overanalyze these plays in slow-motion, the play itself becomes distorted. I don't want replay reviews during the game. Maybe after the games, if it is surely a dive or there's some phantom contact, you can book or fine the player. But again, you'll still be wandering into that slippery slope territory. For every undisputed dive there will be a disputable call, even with the "aid" of a replay.

Also, I get why the games are played simultaneously, but it's still wack for the audience. Wouldn't you guys rather watch two games back to back than try to juggle two at once? I know there's no practical alternative, I was just venting.

Yeah, he got a yellow, but there was a foul and should have been a penalty, he will miss the next match despite there being a foul.

I would prefer back to back as a viewer (at least I would if there are none of those freaking vuvuzelas being 'played' in the crowd) but after the past shenanigans there is no way I would want to risk my team being knocked out by such disgraceful behaviour (or knocking out another team by acting so disgracefully, for that matter).

Anyway, should be a good game tonight - Netherlands/Portugaul. Both will want a win, given the situation in their table, but most especially the Dutch.