Best athlete ever ?

I can only comment on those I've seen (sorry Jim Thorpe). For years I've been going back and forth between shaq and bo Jackson.

Shaq, 7 foot tall, 330 lb guy who was proportioned like a 6 foot tall running back. With size, quickness and agility, he pretty much went where he wanted on the court. So dominant in one on one , they changed the rules to allow for zone defense.

Bo, a little over 6' and 230, even at his size he was often the fastest guy on the field. Never saw anyone run in a straight line and create as much force as he did. And was versatile too, equally skilled at pro baseball.

Couldn't choose between them because shaq was a little too big to be really fast and versatile, and bo was a little too small and hefty, and lacked the lateral mobility to be good at a sport basketball.

Then came Lebron James, between them in height and weight. Powerfully built like a linebacker, lighting quick, lateral agility and superior elevation. Great stamina too, gets a lot of minutes and plays both ends of the floor. Can create almost as much force as shaq and has some of the "violence" needed for football, , but being smaller can play any position on the court, and seems well equipped to be a force at several sports . He gets my vote.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Bo is in the top 5 of all time for sure, but Shaq? He's not even in the conversation in my opinion. I don't think he's even in the top 20 most athletic NBA players over the span of his career.

I think Bo is in the top 5 of all time for sure, but Shaq? He's not even in the conversation in my opinion. I don't think he's even in the top 20 most athletic NBA players over the span of his career.

For his size, who else was in his league? Wilt Chamberlain maybe? I didn't see him, but it's my understanding his playing weight was at least 50 lbs lighter than Shaq's.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

For his size, who else was in his league? Wilt Chamberlain maybe? I didn't see him, but it's my understanding his playing weight was at least 50 lbs lighter than Shaq's.

I guess I just can't get past how lousy Shaq's game was outside of his physicality. I am biased toward someone like Wilt because his game was far more complete, and he truly WAS an athlete...he was one hell of a discus thrower. Maybe it's just a matter of how we define it, you know? I think you're spot on with regard to Bo...he's easily one of the best athletes of my lifetime. If he hadn't gotten injured, his career would have been unreal.

Shaq? you've have to be kidding me. He's not even in the top 100. Most of his points were dunks. At 7 feet who the heck couldnt dunk. Pass........

:rolleyes:

Why not dunk it when nobody can stop you in the paint? Like Doug Collins said when he was announcer at the time, shaq is the hardest guy ever to officiate when he has the ball because no one could resist him. Is it an offensive charge or defensive block?

Guy was unbelievable, rolled around like a running back that just happened to go 7' 330 lbs.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Why not dunk it when nobody can stop you in the paint? Like Doug Collins said when he was announcer at the time, shaq is the hardest guy ever to officiate when he has the ball because no one could resist him. Is it an offensive charge or defensive block?

Guy was unbelievable, rolled around like a running back that just happened to go 7' 330 lbs.

He dunked most of the time because he couldnt shoot worth a shiit!!

I suppose you'll now tell me he was a great foul shooter too.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Shaq and LeBron are not top 10 in any list.

Roger Federer has dominated his sport, even if you don't like tennis. Pele, tops. Michael Jordan, Michael Phelps, Bo Jackson, Nolan Ryan, Nikki Lindstrom (to appease hockey fans), and Tiger Woods.

No one should mention Ali, Joe Fraizer was better.

A greatest athlete ever thread and 2 of the 3 guys you mention are Shaq and Lebron James?? :doh:

So dunking the ball 12 times a game puts him as Best athlete ever??

Thats laughable.

What, being six inches taller and 50 pounds heavier than everyone else doesn't make you an amazing athlete?!? :lol:

I offer Jim Brown.

All American at Syracuse in football AND LAX.

Led the NFL in rushing 8 out of the 9 seasons he played.

Ran over, through, around and past would be tacklers at will.

Plus he was great in the movie The Dirty Dozen.

In hoops I'd take Wilt over Shaq any day.

I offer Jim Brown.

All American at Syracuse in football AND LAX.

Led the NFL in rushing 8 out of the 9 seasons he played.

Ran over, through, around and past would be tacklers at will.

Plus he was great in the movie The Dirty Dozen.

In hoops I'd take Wilt over Shaq any day.

From what I understand wilt got consistently outplayed by bill Russell, all 6"9" 220 lbs of him. There's no chance a guy that small stops shaq in the paint , none , zero.