Best athlete ever ?

he really was amazing...as a big man he also could play like a forward in terms of ball handling and passing...

For anybody questioning Shaq, forget about his final years in the league, and look no further than his rookie highlight reel. He was a man who defied what a man his size is capable of:

youtube.com/watch?v=3DSN1KnAW-Y

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if versatility is the criterion, then how about Randy Smith? Three sport All American in college before becoming an NBA star.

Yeah, I thought about Randy Smith, too.

Although he would never be considered even a "great athlete" (depending on the definition) let alone in a discussion about the greatest athletes, there is a case to be made for guys like Danny Ainge, who excel at all sports. Ainge is the only player ever to be a First Team All-American in High School in football, baseball and basketball. He was the college player of the year in hoops, and while he was still in college, made it to the major leagues in baseball at 20 years old. Ainge is also a great high jumper, he is a legitimate scratch golfer, and while he was in Phoenix, he was known to be unbeatable in ping-pong. Ha. And he became a very good coach and GM.

Edited by Kelly the Dog

Yeah, I thought about Randy Smith, too.

Although he would never be considered even a "great athlete" (depending on the definition) let alone in a discussion about the greatest athletes, there is a case to be made for guys like Danny Ainge, who excel at all sports. Ainge is the only player ever to be a First Team All-American in High School in football, baseball and basketball. He was the college player of the year in hoops, and while he was still in college, made it to the major leagues in baseball at 20 years old. Ainge is also a great high jumper, he is a legitimate scratch golfer, and while he was in Phoenix, he was known to be unbeatable in ping-pong. Ha. And he became a very good coach and GM.

Yeah, but how's his darts game?

Its an interesting debate - theres a lot of questions to haggle over

are we talking most successful or most physically gifted? ie - how polished vs just physicality

are we talking at their sport or the type where you hand him a ball/racket/strap him into skis and hes just gifted.

are we talking rarest guy (least likely to be duplicated)? a guy like shaq though perhaps not the most "athletic" was certainly a rare speciman combining the size with skills.

id vote Bo probably as hes the one that seems to erase most of the "what do you mean" type of questions

Yes that's right an I've skewed to athletes that possess a certain amount of size, speed and raw force generation. Also for guys who performed at a superior level in head to head competition, versus Olympic individual measurements. For example I dont see a Bruce Jenner lasting more than a few plays in basketball or football. Maybe slightly better chance at baseball. And using those 3 sports guys who would score highest on an equally weighted performance in all 3. Another sport I could have chosen from could have been boxing based on size, speed, force and stamina, but the best athletes like Floyd mayweather are small.

Dave Winfield was drafted in 3 sports and he didn't even play football in college (yeah, it was the 17th round, but still...). I usually include him in this discussion. Jim Brown is my pick, but I'm glad someone mentioned Allen Iverson. Bill Simmons once wrote about what it would have been like if the US hadn't invented our own sports (baseball, basketball & football) and instead we all played soccer. AI probably would have been a star.

But then, there'd be no TBD. :thumbdown:

I like the nod to Allen Iverson. Besides being a very good hoops player,

his was a great QB in HS, leading his team to the VA championship.

Had his problems at the bowling alley though :oops:

Best HS athlete I saw in live action was Randy Moss at Dupont HS.

Football, hoops, baseball and track.

He did ok at Marshall too.

This is always an impossible question due to the specialty requirements over such a broad range of sport. 'They' say that the toughest/fittest pure athletes are swimmers. Michael Phelps merits consideration. Also have to give some props to Carl Lewis and Hershel Walker, who did multiple events and even multiple sports (Walker competed in bobsled in the Olympics ~ 10 years after football).

But for my money, a guy who is fit, fast, powerful, dedication to training regimen, mental toughness, and has supreme hand-eye coordination to go with superior feel for placement of a ball or what have you.... I'd have to go with Raphael Nadal. Watching right now, and he's basically owning Djokovich, running down stuff that just looks like there's no way anyone could get there in time... and then to make down-the-line perfect shots on top of it?

As more stuff comes out about concussions and such from contact sports, I find myself more comfortable being a fan of ones that aren't about legitimized bodily violence. I like football, and recognize that these guys play by their own choice and that ordinary people take risks on their jobs (I'm in construction) but the Junior Seau thing was perhaps the tipping-point eye opener for this generation of fans. Is beating each other up really a sport? [shrug]

Edited by UConn James

This is always an impossible question due to the specialty requirements over such a broad range of sport. 'They' say that the toughest/fittest pure athletes are swimmers. Michael Phelps merits consideration. Also have to give some props to Carl Lewis and Hershel Walker, who did multiple events and even multiple sports (Walker competed in bobsled in the Olympics ~ 10 years after football).

But for my money, a guy who is fit, fast, powerful, dedication to training regimen, mental toughness, and has supreme hand-eye coordination to go with superior feel for placement of a ball or what have you.... I'd have to go with Raphael Nadal. Watching right now, and he's basically owning Djokovich, running down stuff that just looks like there's no way anyone could get there in time... and then to make down-the-line perfect shots on top of it?

As more stuff comes out about concussions and such from contact sports, I find myself more comfortable being a fan of ones that aren't about legitimized bodily violence. I like football, and recognize that these guys play by their own choice and that ordinary people take risks on their jobs (I'm in construction) but the Junior Seau thing was perhaps the tipping-point eye opener for this generation of fans. Is beating each other up really a sport? [shrug]

Also, I look at Nadal's physique and have no doubt that he could have made it at wide receiver, point guard, third base, whatever. He's just a freak of nature.

EDIT: And I'll throw in a nomination for Mariano Rivera. Aside from being the most dominant reliever of all time, more than one source has been quoted saying that he could have been the best outfielder in the league had he chosen that path.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

I don't think Michael Phelps or any of these swimmers really merit the acclaim they get. They get it because they win tons of medals - I think it was 8 for Phelps and 7 for Spitz, and my girl Natalie Coughlin I believe is tied for the most medals ever by an American female (counting silver and bronze).

They are good swimmers, so they can swim all kinds of different ways - freestyle, breaststroke, etc.!

I don't think Michael Phelps or any of these swimmers really merit the acclaim they get. They get it because they win tons of medals - I think it was 8 for Phelps and 7 for Spitz, and my girl Natalie Coughlin I believe is tied for the most medals ever by an American female (counting silver and bronze).

They are good swimmers, so they can swim all kinds of different ways - freestyle, breaststroke, etc.!

But what if there was a runner who simultaneously dominated the 100m, 110m hurdles, 800m, and the Marathon? Wouldn't that person be in consideration?

But what if there was a runner who simultaneously dominated the 100m, 110m hurdles, 800m, and the Marathon? Wouldn't that person be in consideration?

Since it's a total different body type - fast-twitch vs. slow-twitch muscles - anybody who could dominate the 100 and the marathon would be the greatest athlete of all time.

Swimmers seem to all be built the same.