Best athlete ever ?

Since it's a total different body type - fast-twitch vs. slow-twitch muscles - anybody who could dominate the 100 and the marathon would be the greatest athlete of all time.

Swimmers seem to all be built the same.

Never heard these terms before. Looks like I have some reading to do. :)

1) Known for baseball

2) All American in Football at UCLA

3) National Champion in Track at UCLA

4) Played on the basketball team

Jackie Robinson....

Wow, what an oversight by the rest of us. All of this, not to mention the most important athlete ever.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I think of the best athlete ever, I think it should be a combination of athletic greatness but also epic achievement. One can possess all the athleticism in the world, but it's those who use it to attain greatness that are at the top of my list.

Me. I won a darts tournament a couple years ago.

When I think of the best athlete ever, I think it should be a combination of athletic greatness but also epic achievement. One can possess all the athleticism in the world, but it's those who use it to attain greatness that are at the top of my list.

Thank you for your support.

Thank you for your support.

I got your back, brother...as previously noted, you're already ranked above Danny Ainge on my list. Keep up the good work!

No hockey players?

There was a school of thought that the most athletically demanding sport with the best athletes is hockey.

(I don't know if I necessarily subscribe to that idea, but I've heard that a lot).

I think its because hockey is played on ice a lot of people have a hard time extrapolating the skills and athleticism needed in hockey to other areas of athleticism. But I agree hockey players are some of the most gifted pure athletes out there.

I will add Kurt Angle to this, as well. Angle must be considered one of the top wrestlers by everyone and many say he is the best. What he did, his athletic performance was beyond what anyone can comprehend without watching his matches. His style of wrestling was unheard of and has never been duplicated.

Daaaaaang, that guy would have gone apeshiit in the NFL.

There were rumors about him wanting to try out for the NFL but I don't know if they were true. He could have been a nasty TE (provided he learned the game) As a rugby fan I always think about certain NFL players translating their games to rugby. Gronk, Vernon Davis, Ray Lewis.

First person I thought of was Gretzky.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

First person I thought of was Gretzky.

I only saw Gretzky toward the 2nd half of his career with the Kings since I didn't pay much attention to hockey until the late 80s, but I always seem to pair him with Joe Montana. Two guys who were so damn talented and mentally tough that they could transcend any physical limitations they may have had and just plain dominate. To me, those are the greatest champions of all. You pass either one of them on the street not knowing anything about sports, you'd just never guess that they were the absolute best of their generation at what they did.

There were rumors about him wanting to try out for the NFL but I don't know if they were true. He could have been a nasty TE (provided he learned the game) As a rugby fan I always think about certain NFL players translating their games to rugby. Gronk, Vernon Davis, Ray Lewis.

That guy's top gear is just NUTS! He looks like he's at least a good 230 lb, yet he can just break away from the pack like he's got a turbo charger up his arse. Very impressive.

Shaq??? i put him in the top 500,000,000

OJ,Jim Brown,Jim Thorpe,Dr J,Lebron,Jordan,Willie Mays.

I count guys that could do awesome things that others just couldnt do. Not some overall kinda guy(altho that guy could qualify if one of his talents had the wow factor-Thorpe).