Do apps suck out battery life of iphone..

bbb

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they have something like Advanced App Killer type app for iPhone?... I use that and it works great... I get about 8 hours on my Droid 4 which is a total battery hog! My wife's new iPhone 4s seems 2 run forever... Then again... I am the one that does all the stuff... Including providing WiFi to her and the daughter's iPod touch (when we are over the road).

I would try an app killer program for iPhone if you have battery issues.

As steve pointed out, there is absolutely no need for an app or task killer on the iPhone. Just remember to close your apps properly once a day. I've even made it habit to close any app as soon as I am done with it. Takes two seconds.

As steve pointed out, there is absolutely no need for an app or task killer on the iPhone. Just remember to close your apps properly once a day. I've even made it habit to close any app as soon as I am done with it. Takes two seconds.

Task killers are a terrible idea for any modern mobile OS.

It's kind of annoying that nearly every app continues to run in the background once opened.

It's kind of annoying that nearly every app continues to run in the background once opened.

"It's really annoying that apps cant run in the background" -iPhone users, 2 years ago.

Damned if they do, Damned if they dont. In the name of increased functionality, we are forced to take less than 1 minute to shut them all down. I'll take it.

The definition of "run" here is what I think confuses a lot of users, at least on Android (I don't know much about how iOS works).

On Android, apps are put into a saved state where they are open, but aren't running (unless they specifically need CPU/memory resources). Then, when multitasked back to, they are resumed from the paused state.

I may be wrong, but I don't think its so much the apps themselves being "open" that's the problem so much. But its more the apps that are constantly checking your GPS location or sending you push notifications. So, for example, having your browser always open does next to nothing to drain the battery in the background. But, having a an app like messenger or email or something continually checking and sending you a notification drains your battery much more.

Obviously, you want some of these open and notifying you... text messages for example. But having Words with Friends notify you of every move someone makes in your game will drain your battery and do you really need that always running?

I may be wrong, but I don't think its so much the apps themselves being "open" that's the problem so much. But its more the apps that are constantly checking your GPS location or sending you push notifications. So, for example, having your browser always open does next to nothing to drain the battery in the background. But, having a an app like messenger or email or something continually checking and sending you a notification drains your battery much more.

Obviously, you want some of these open and notifying you... text messages for example. But having Words with Friends notify you of every move someone makes in your game will drain your battery and do you really need that always running?

Someone who plays a game called Words with Friends deserves to have their batteries drained.

You're right on the GPS location, that will kill battery. Same with anything using CPU time to do processing in the background. However, in the world of mobile devices, there are two technologies that are used by Android & iOS that heavily negate battery drain on push notifications.

Android: C2DM (Cloud To Device Messaging)

iOS: APNs (Apple Push Notification Service)

Most applications will use one of those two services to implement notifications. They essentially function as a middle man service that your device always talks to. It works like this:

Any Application Designer ==> Service Provider (Google's C2DM or APNs) ==> Mobile Device

As such, its only one persistent connection between C2DM/APNs and the mobile device. It *will* kill battery if they are constantly pushing information through the service to your mobile device that your mobile device then sits in the background processing, but it will use hardly any battery to keep it in the background, and every once in a while push something through C2DM or APNs to the connection that's already open anyway (like a "Its your turn!") message.

I hope that helps highlight how its really up to the Application writer, how they implement notifications (hopefully through C2DM or APNs), and what they do with the information once its pushed (simple notification or does it turn the LED on, turn the screen on for 10 minutes, vibrate nonstop, go download a bunch of data automatically behind the scenes, etc etc).

• 1 month later...

I'm bumping this up because I tried it back when I started this and didn't quite figure it out........My mother has been in and out of ICU for three months and I haven't had a lot of time to get back to this. I tried to do find it when I was at the hospital all night last night (and having my battery go by the second). Too hard to find via phone - can't search, and what I googled didn't work. I'm going to try it when I'm at the hospital again tonight.

I'm bumping this up because I tried it back when I started this and didn't quite figure it out........My mother has been in and out of ICU for three months and I haven't had a lot of time to get back to this. I tried to do find it when I was at the hospital all night last night (and having my battery go by the second). Too hard to find via phone - can't search, and what I googled didn't work. I'm going to try it when I'm at the hospital again tonight.

Sorry about your Mother!

Do they have something like Advanced App Killer type app for iPhone?... I use that and it works great... I get about 8 hours on my Droid 4 which is a total battery hog! My wife's new iPhone 4s seems 2 run forever... Then again... I am the one that does all the stuff... Including providing WiFi to her and the daughter's iPod touch (when we are over the road).

I would try an app killer program for iPhone if you have battery issues.

To improve battery life on your Droid 4, switch to 3G, use 4G only when you really need it. More importantly, download and use Juice Defender. JD improved the battery life on my Bionic by about 70%.

Edited by Scraps

To improve battery life on your Droid 4, switch to 3G, use 4G only when you really need it. More importantly, download and use Juice Defender. JD improved the battery life on my Bionic by about 70%.

Does the iphone have Juice Defender, too?

Probably check online... Seems they have better products... Did a quick search and this one came up... a bit steep at 79 bucks though:

Morphie Juice Pack

This one seems really nice and thin! Hope your mother is doing better!!!

Thanks! And, thanks about my mother - she actually is doing better! What a difference a day makes. The doctors don't think she's going to make it, but she's beat the odds many times.

Thank you. And, of course, it has taken precedent over the iphone and the thing losses battery power like an unplugged laptop.

Sorry to hear about your mom. Prayers for you and your family.

On an infinitely less important note, there's absolutely no reason your battery should die that quickly. You either have a bad battery or you're constantly running every process there is (Bluetooth, gps, etc). I'd take it to where you bought it and ask to swap it. If I don't mess with my phone much thought the day, the battery hardly moves. With heavy use I still get all day life.