Do apps suck out battery life of iphone..

bbb

....even when they're not being used? I think maybe the tunein radio might when I just pause it and go to another app. Not sure how else to shut it off anyway.

Is there anything like a PC's task manager that tells me what is using all the memory/battery life?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To "shut it off" double click the home button. A row of all running apps will show at the bottom and you can scroll to the right to see more. To fully close, hold the icon til it shakes and click the little red circle on the corner. This is similar to the action of deleting an app from the home screen but all this does is stop it from running. Click the home button again to close the bottom drawer.

Also, when that drawer is open you can swipe to the left once to get to your music controls and rotation lock. Swipe again to get to screen brightness and air play feature.

To "shut it off" double click the home button. A row of all running apps will show at the bottom and you can scroll to the right to see more. To fully close, hold the icon til it shakes and click the little red circle on the corner. This is similar to the action of deleting an app from the home screen but all this does is stop it from running. Click the home button again to close the bottom drawer.

Also, when that drawer is open you can swipe to the left once to get to your music controls and rotation lock. Swipe again to get to screen brightness and air play feature.

Thank you!! I printed this out and am going to try all that.

I think in Gingerbread there is a way to tell what is using what... I think it is in setting? Display takes up the most power.

Ooops...:oops: You said iPhone... My bad! Don't know what is behind the mystery wall there! I just know I couldn't configure my wife's surgemail right off the bat... In the other thread, I said I bought and loaded a program that I can barely see, the text was way too small! Then I resetup the way I first tried and bam, it works! Everything always works better for 10 bucks to Apple! :bag::P

bbb, yes, certain apps continue to run in the "background" and can drain battery life. stojan provided accurate instructions on how to see what apps have been recently used and might still be taking up resources.

Another tip -- when you swipe to see your music controls at the bottom, you'll know which app is controlling your music by the icon.

Thank you!! I printed this out and am going to try all that.

You had to print that???

It's like a couple of my staff that print up emails and walk in to my office with the email in an outstretched hand and say "I have a question about this email". Yeah and they're usually the old guys.

You had to print that???

It's like a couple of my staff that print up emails and walk in to my office with the email in an outstretched hand and say "I have a question about this email". Yeah and they're usually the old guys.

My 70 year old aunt needs to print off anything she reads on the internet. It's hilarious. She'll print off 70 pages or so even if she's only interested in one little paragraph, never actually figured out how to use the print highlighted selection function.

bbb, you're about to get a lot better battery life out of your phone now that you've learned that. They still die off pretty quickly depending on your use, but it will be better.

I have a GPS app that I bought. It was $50 which seems insane for an app. Honestly some of the best money I've spent. I know droid has a FREE turn by turn gps(which I used before finally switching back to my beloved iPhone) but the reason I love the one I have is that is uses the phones GPS ONLY. It doesn't use the radios at all, which every other gps app I've used has, at least somewhat. So, good luck driving through WV. Anyway, the app also has automatic traffic updates and will say "there's traffic ahead in 2 miles. You can save 11 minutes with a different route. Would you like to do so?". I love that!

Anyway, the app (of course) is a battery hog. So this tip of closing apps has helped because while it's in my car and I'm driving it's plugged in but just hitting the home button would leave it running in the background and chewed up my battery. This tip "kills" the app.

Anyway, the app (of course) is a battery hog. So this tip of closing apps has helped because while it's in my car and I'm driving it's plugged in but just hitting the home button would leave it running in the background and chewed up my battery. This tip "kills" the app.

I have an Android device and switching off GPS did wonders to extend time-between-charges. I just switch it on whenever I need to use the Navi feature. I really don't like apps such as Facebook knowing where I am so keeping GPS off is no loss for my regular use.

I knew some apps ran in the background but had no idea how many until I just did this (no, I never RTFM when they give me these tech gadgets at work).

Thanks for the tip.

My 70 year old aunt needs to print off anything she reads on the internet. It's hilarious. She'll print off 70 pages or so even if she's only interested in one little paragraph, never actually figured out how to use the print highlighted selection function.

bbb, you're about to get a lot better battery life out of your phone now that you've learned that. They still die off pretty quickly depending on your use, but it will be better.

I also have a colleague in southern California who's into food and wine like me. He finds these articles in the paper or magazines clips them puts them in an evelope and has his assistant mail them to me. I've told him a dozen times to go online and he can email them to me. For God sakes man at least scan them and email them. Yeah, he's an old fart too.

BTW he sent me an ad for some Chef event up here in SF. Thanks Andy, I've only been following them on Facebook for two years. :rolleyes:

I also have a colleague in southern California who's into food and wine like me. He finds these articles in the paper or magazines clips them puts them in an evelope and has his assistant mail them to me. I've told him a dozen times to go online and he can email them to me. For God sakes man at least scan them and email them. Yeah, he's an old fart too.

BTW he sent me an ad for some Chef event up here in SF. Thanks Andy, I've only been following them on Facebook for two years. :rolleyes:

Back before my aunt got a computer, she would come over to my parents house, print the internet, then bring it home to read. I bet that's exactly what Al Gore had in mind. It was hilarious. The price of ink had to be a major pain though.

And speaking of iPhones, I hear that she has now figured out how to send texts. Now that's a scary thought.

My soon-to-be 75 year old dad, who was an electrical engineer with an MBA, also has to print everything, and recently called me over to the house to explain how he could get "something from the world wide web" onto a Word document.

Also, he's a big fan of scanning. He has, on numerous occasions, read an interesting article on the internet, printed it, and then scanned it back onto his PC to email to me. Thanks for the 6.8 MB PDF, dad.

Also, he's a big fan of scanning. He has, on numerous occasions, read an interesting article on the internet, printed it, and then scanned it back onto his PC to email to me. Thanks for the 6.8 MB PDF, dad.

That ought to be an SNL skit. :lol:

You had to print that???

I just printed this out and taped it to my printer - to remind me not to print so much.

Do they have something like Advanced App Killer type app for iPhone?... I use that and it works great... I get about 8 hours on my Droid 4 which is a total battery hog! My wife's new iPhone 4s seems 2 run forever... Then again... I am the one that does all the stuff... Including providing WiFi to her and the daughter's iPod touch (when we are over the road).

I would try an app killer program for iPhone if you have battery issues.

Do they have something like Advanced App Killer type app for iPhone?... I use that and it works great... I get about 8 hours on my Droid 4 which is a total battery hog! My wife's new iPhone 4s seems 2 run forever... Then again... I am the one that does all the stuff... Including providing WiFi to her and the daughter's iPod touch (when we are over the road).

I would try an app killer program for iPhone if you have battery issues.

I was going to post one article but I figured the google search would be even better. Here's an endless list of articles explaining why you shouldn't use a task killer.

(mainly, for the first iterations of android it was helpful but now it can actually hurt your battery life)

http://www.google.com/search?q=why+you+shouldn't+use+a+task+killer&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

I was going to post one article but I figured the google search would be even better. Here's an endless list of articles explaining why you shouldn't use a task killer.

(mainly, for the first iterations of android it was helpful but now it can actually hurt your battery life)

http://www.google.com/search?q=why+you+shouldn't+use+a+task+killer&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

I'm not sure what to read there, but the immediate question that came to mind for these app killers is whether or not they themselves run in the background and eat up battery life.

You had to print that???

Reminds me of my Dad's first computer, pre-Windows 95.

He had a flow chart to help him; it went like this:

Type: WIN

Hit: ENTER

He kept this taped to his desk for two years.

I have a GPS app that I bought. It was $50 which seems insane for an app. Honestly some of the best money I've spent. I know droid has a FREE turn by turn gps(which I used before finally switching back to my beloved iPhone) but the reason I love the one I have is that is uses the phones GPS ONLY. It doesn't use the radios at all, which every other gps app I've used has, at least somewhat. So, good luck driving through WV. Anyway, the app also has automatic traffic updates and will say "there's traffic ahead in 2 miles. You can save 11 minutes with a different route. Would you like to do so?". I love that!

google maps on android supports offline navigation now. for free . :)