Great country songs

Buftex

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of the creepier country songs ever recorded..."Pscycho" by Eddie Noack. It was written by Leon Payne, and old contract writer for Acuff-Rose publishing back in the 50's and 60's. It is rumoured that Payne asked that it never be recorded, until after he was dead! Wonder if Leon had a secret? The song has been recorded by others, including Elvis Costello (not a good version, IMO), but Eddie Noacks voice just sends chills down your spine, and the lyrics are disturbing...who needs scary movies when you have the power of words and music? This is about as "outlaw" as you can get.

Edited by Buftex

Not a fan of country, and IMHO, today's corporate country is a mind numbing, soul sucking, regurgitating formulaic crap that has become the bane of the country music genre.

BUT .....

Before the modern version of country, we had the likes of Johnny Cash and this guy:

http://youtu.be/bNaN4aZJiZU

This is one of the creepier country songs ever recorded..."Pscycho" by Eddie Noack. It was written by Leon Payne, and old contract writer for Acuff-Rose publishing back in the 50's and 60's. It is rumoured that Payne asked that it never be recorded, until after he was dead! Wonder if Leon had a secret? The song has been recorded by others, including Elvis Costello (not a good version, IMO), but Eddie Noacks voice just sends chills down your spine, and the lyrics are disturbing...who needs scary movies when you have the power of words and music? This is about as "outlaw" as you can get.

youtube.com/watch?v=LARoi7D2SHE

He was Inspired by the Whitman killings of 1966 at the University of Texas Austin.

Whats ironic is you live in Austin ( I think)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

;)

Not a fan of country, and IMHO, today's corporate country is a mind numbing, soul sucking, regurgitating formulaic crap that has become the bane of the country music genre.

BUT .....

Before the modern version of country, we had the likes of Johnny Cash and this guy:

Country music is no differnet than any other music...there is a "corporate" strand in every genre...rock, jazz...even hip-hop. And, yes, in general, pop-country (as in popular country) is pretty mind-numbing and sould sucking. But, that is like saying, I hate rock n'roll and basing your assessment of the genre solely on what the kids from "American Idol" sing.

I love Johnny Cash, don't get me wrong, but I think he is one of the more overrated of the modern country legends, becase he was so popular, and had main-stream appeal.

Country music is no differnet than any other music...there is a "corporate" strand in every genre...rock, jazz...even hip-hop.

Did not mean to imply there wasn't. If there is one thing corporate America is really good at is sanitizing and commercializing a product.

Just follow this "recipe" and don't push the boundaries or limits = $.

That is until America gets bored with it, and the "new and improved" formula needs to be rolled out.

And, yes, in general, pop-country (as in popular country) is pretty mind-numbing and sould sucking. But, that is like saying, I hate rock n'roll and basing your assessment of the genre solely on what the kids from "American Idol" sing.

Corporate country is not what I base the entire genre on (just so we are clear on that).

Without getting into a lengthy explanation as to why, do note there are always a handful of groups of any genre that appeal to me.

In the case of country, I find myself listening to groups like Cash and Reed.

What they play and sing comes across as "genuine". If they are following a formula, it's hard to detect.

My idea of country is Hank Williams Senior (while his son is the antithesis), Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Lorretta Lynn, Patsy Cline for the "oldies" and Uncle Tupelo, Jayhawks, Old 97s, Neko Case, Son Volt, Drive-by Truckers for the modern era. I'm a huge fan of Uncle Tupleo which essential launched the alt-country genre. I would argue alt-country is natural descendant of the old greats, NOT Kenny Chesney God-awful crap, all of which perverted the real country sound.

Edited by Max Fischer

BUT .....

i tend to like before urban cowboy country more but there's plenty of good new stuff in among the fluff.

can't see youtube at work and missed an earlier johnny cash link (and still can't see it) so it'd probably be appropriate not to comment on what others did or didn't post :doh: . sorry.

My idea of country is Hank Williams Senior (while his son is the antithesis), Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, Lorretta Lynn, Patsy Cline for the "oldies" and Uncle Tupelo, Jayhawks, Old 97s, Neko Case, Son Volt, Drive-by Truckers for the modern era. I'm a huge fan of Uncle Tupleo which essential launched the alt-country genre. I would argue alt-country is natural descendant of the old greats, NOT Kenny Chesney God-awful crap, all of which perverted the real country sound.

Yes to all of this, but you forgot Blue Rodeo. :thumbsup:

The Gourds rip up

Nickel Creek working

Guy Clark's

The Gourds are old "friends" (acquantences) of mine, from back in the day. When they recorded "Gin & Juice" it was the heyday of Napster. For some reason, Napster mis-identified the track as being by Phish...it became one of the most popular tracks on Napster.

Kevin Russell (Gourds co-frontman) used to joke "we have done more to sell records for Phish, than we ever did to sell our own" :lol:

When they recorded "Gin & Juice" it was the heyday of Napster. For some reason, Napster mis-identified the track as being by Phish...it became one of the most popular tracks on Napster.

That's exactly where I found it, oh so many moons ago. I knew it wasn't Phish, but I swear I had that song for a year before I figured out who it actually was. :blush:

He was Inspired by the Whitman killings of 1966 at the University of Texas Austin.

Whats ironic is you live in Austin ( I think)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

;)

Yes, well aware of Charles Whitman story...I work in the shadow of the UT Tower, every day. Leon Payne, in fact, lived in Austin, and attended the Texas School for the Blind. I was just goofing on the legend that he didn't want it recorded until he was dead...though Eddie Noack recorded it in 1968...Payne died in 1969.

http://www.rocksbackpagesblogs.com/2009/06/you-think-im-psycho-dont-you-mama-origins-of-a-hit/

Do you consider Del to be a country musician? I think it is interesting who considered the genre of bluegrass to be country.

Yeah, I'd say Del is legit country; I guess I consider bluegrass/newgrass to be a particularly pure form of the countrah genre.

It's these overproduced young fellas with their designer shirts, their $400 cowboy hats and their fake drawls that you hear with their prepackaged pop pablum on the radio that just don't fit the bill.

Since everyone here also seems to like their country a little bit on the off-of-mainstream side, the Refried Funky Chicken

Also, feel free to bring up anything by Jamey Johnson.

is one of my favorites, but his albums are solid country.

Yes, well aware of Charles Whitman story...I work in the shadow of the UT Tower, every day. Leon Payne, in fact, lived in Austin, and attended the Texas School for the Blind. I was just goofing on the legend that he didn't want it recorded until he was dead...though Eddie Noack recorded it in 1968...Payne died in 1969.

http://www.rocksbackpagesblogs.com/2009/06/you-think-im-psycho-dont-you-mama-origins-of-a-hit/

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Do any of you people know where these individuals learned how to shoot?... Private Joker.

Private Joker: Sir. In the Marines, Sir.

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: In the Marines. Outstanding. Those individuals showed what one motivated Marine and his rifle can do. And before you ladies leave my Island, you will all be able to do the same thing.

Yes to all of this, but you forgot Blue Rodeo. :thumbsup:

I did forget to list one of the most outstanding "country" bands: THE Band. I don't think they made a mediocre song. Other than perhaps Robbie Robertson, all of them could easily be the best musician/singer in nearly any other band.

I thought Levon Helm was on of the greatest singers of all-time, while Rick Danko was probably one of the most underrated. Hell, I could listen to Helm tell stories all day long. I'm sorry I never had the chance to see him live.