Resting players vs. Playing them

duey

Seems that this topic is getting a lot of press, with the general consensus amongst players and the media being that you play each game to win, and that those times that team rested players, they ended up losing the next week.

We know that Maddox is starting for Pittsburgh, but this is more out of need (being cautious with Ben's injury) rather than a decision to rest a starter. I think I read, though, that Bettis is being held out as well. I think the rest of the Steelers starters will be in there. That's fine, because I think the Bills will be able to beat the Steelers even if they were playing all their starters.

What this the press above bodes well for is the Colts playing their starters in Denver. I think Indy will play their starters for as much of the game is needed for them to get the win. Plus, Denver hasn't exactly been tearing it up lately, so this game is kind of a toss up, with me leaning towards the Colts and their starters.

And being in the NYC area, and having to follow the Jets on a daily basis, I see the pressure on this being mounting by the hour. With each passing day, more and more news articles are really laying it on this team. I think the combination of this pressure, Chad's increasing habit of making mistakes, and the fact that the Rams must win as well, makes me lean towards the Jets losing.

Yeah, I know, a totally pro-Bills view of the three games. But hey, I really feel this is the way things will break on Sunday.

GO COWBELL! GO BILLS!

But you don't ask the question I thought you were going to ask, so I hope you don't mind if I ask you instead:

If it were the Bills...and it WILL be the Bills next year...would you prefer they sit the starters or go for the win?

I'll tell you what; if we were a frontrunner this year, were in the playoffs and didn't need this game, but was making this decision based on the way the team has been playing lately, I'd throw 'em out there and let them keep thrashing people. Don't stop the momentum at all.

I know...we have no idea if this team can thrash somebody good...but I'm just saying, if we had everything wrapped up that we could possibly wrap up, I'd put my starters out there and keep thrashing. Don't know if it's right. Don't know if it's wrong. Just know that if I'm going down, I'm going down my way. You dance with the one that brung ya...and you don't stray.

I keep checking myself to see if my analysis is that of a "homer" and it is. The Rams looked bad Monday (in fact I thought Jackson looked slow while most thought he had a great game) and the Colts are gonna mail it in. What's nice about the NFL is that the games will be played and there are always surprises. If there is any justice at all we'll get in. The Bills are better than the Bronco's and the Jets dammit! :ph34r:

But you don't ask the question I thought you were going to ask, so I hope you don't mind if I ask you instead:

If it were the Bills...and it WILL be the Bills next year...would you prefer they sit the starters or go for the win?

185991[/snapback]

I'd play 'em. There were a couple of years during the SB runs where Marv sat a bunch of guys during the last game (against Detroit - loss; against the Redskins - loss) where it didn't seem to effect the next games play. But I agree...you keep up with what got you there.

I'd play 'em.  There were a couple of years during the SB runs where Marv sat a bunch of guys during the last game (against Detroit - loss; against the Redskins - loss) where it didn't seem to effect the next games play.  But I agree...you keep up with what got you there.

185999[/snapback]

Playin with Big Mo is like playin with fire. If it goes out your screwed. Hey not bad I just made that up. :ph34r:

If I were the head coach, I would only rest some of the veterans as their bodies have taken a beating by this time of the year that some of the younger guys can withhold easier.

Also, I would rest anyone who is nursing an injury. Besides, that I would play anyone who is healthy and isnt an old veteran. You have to keep some kind of rhythm going into the playoffs.

Guest BackInDaDay

Peyton Manning addressed this last Monday. He brought up the Colts final season game against the Bills a couple of years ago. The Colts rested their starters and got their butts whipped. He said he thinks that's why they came out flat in their first playoff game and lost.

Guest BackInDaDay

Oh, and here's part of Boomer Esiason's article from NFL.com...

Peyton plays

In Indianapolis, it doesn't matter what the coaching staff thinks because Peyton Manning says he will be playing the last regular-season game because he wants to win and he will be playing the game as if the outcome does affect the Colts' playoff picture. The Colts have an eight-game winning streak and Manning wants to keep it going. He's already set the single-season touchdown pass record. He says he wants to play. How difficult would it be for head coach Tony Dungy to keep Manning on the sideline?

After sitting out last week's game, Falcons QB Michael Vick will play in the season finale.

Dungy's decision may already have been made. Earlier I mentioned team momentum, cohesion and overall morale. The fact that Manning wants to play definitely enhances these factors for the Colts. His enthusiasm definitely keeps the team's morale positive and the momentum moving forward into the playoffs.

Peyton Manning addressed this last Monday. He brought up the Colts final season game against the Bills a couple of years ago.  The Colts rested their starters and got their butts whipped.  He said he thinks that's why they came out flat in their first playoff game and lost.

186042[/snapback]

I don't play pro football, so I don't really know how true this is, but at what point is this just making an excuse? I mean - whatever happened to "they were the better team" and "we didn't take advantage of our opportunities?" Peyton blaming 3 hours spent a week prior to his '99 playoff loss is very lame to me - they had all week to gameplan and prepare and get ready, and then they didn't execute. Case closed.

If this were really true - this lost edge thing - then why don't more teams lose when they play in week 2 of the playoffs after a bye? These teams still win at more than a 80% clip.

If this were really true - this lost edge thing - then why don't more teams lose when they play in week 2 of the playoffs after a bye? These teams still win at more than a 80% clip.

186127[/snapback]

Because they are the best teams, playing the worst survivors... though I don't think this influences the argument either direction.

I wouldn't have any issue with resting players who don't need the experience. Give your backups some valuable experience.

Because they are the best teams, playing the worst survivors... though I don't think this influences the argument either direction. 

CD I agree entirely with that - typically the better team wins the game, and what happened the Sunday before in terms of "losing one's edge" is of subminimal consequence.

CD I agree entirely with that - typically the better team wins the game, and what happened the Sunday before in terms of "losing one's edge" is of subminimal consequence.

186144[/snapback]

I agree with your point. It sounds like an excuse to me too. Certainly if Indy lost their Edge, it would be a huge blow.