American Competitiveness

Just bringing all the Noobs on the board my position.

Go back and re-read my posts. I'll can explain them to you again, if you'd like.

No. Just answer. The question Doc? Do you finance 100% of your healthcare on 15 bucks an hour? Of course you don't.

I have read your posts... You think it is contentious here, you should be by family practioner! I make him squirm in displeasure.... :devil:

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bringing all the Noobs on the board my position.

No. Just answer. The question Doc? Do you finance 100% of your healthcare on 15 bucks an hour? Of course you don't.

I have read your posts... You think it is contentious here, you should be by family practioner! I make him squirm in displeasure.... :devil:

If you were my patient and complaining about the gobs of money I'm making off of you, I'd tell you to go to med school and get your own piece of the pie.

I personally don't like to talk anything about myself so I totally understand if you decline to answer this...it's probably for the best if you do...but are you a general practitioner and can you quantify the amount of medicare/medicaid business you have as a percentage of your income? I'm not anti-Doctor by any stretch many of my friends are doctors and I'm certainly not anti-capitalism but it's a bit counterintuitive to rail against your patients for sucking of the gov't tit when they're paying you with the money...and perhaps you are in a really affluent area and have a respected/quasi-exclusive/limited practice and take less than most from those programs but that would put you in the minority....if those programs ended...something tells me business would drop...

Edited by TheNewBills

If you were my patient and complaining about the gobs of money I'm making off of you, I'd tell you to go to med school and get your own piece of the pie.

Wrong answer... I would tell you that is where your entitlement mentality and where the disease really lies!

Go to med school sure... But live like others. The medical profession should not be about "get your own piece of the pie."

Haven't we learned this almost a 100 years ago in Arrowsmith?

He still hasn't answered how much he makes a year... Getting Tuesdays off and all... Sure he has made sacrifces through the years... But we all have for our occupation, most likely some more...

I personally don't like to talk anything about myself so I totally understand if you decline to answer this...it's probably for the best if you do...but are you a general practitioner and can you quantify the amount of medicare/medicaid business you have as a percentage of your income? I'm not anti-Doctor by any stretch many of my friends are doctors and I'm certainly not anti-capitalism but it's a bit counterintuitive to rail against your patients for sucking of the gov't tit when they're paying you with the money...and perhaps you are in a really affluent area and have a respected/quasi-exclusive/limited practice and take less than most from those programs but that would put you in the minority....if those programs ended...something tells me business would drop...

B I N G O and Bingo was his name o!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I'm not necessarily on your side but I'm not on Docs side bashing the programs that his customers use to at least in part pay is wages...that said if you asked me to tell you how much I made I would tell you to go !@#$ yourself.

I personally don't like to talk anything about myself so I totally understand if you decline to answer this...it's probably for the best if you do...but are you a general practitioner and can you quantify the amount of medicare/medicaid business you have as a percentage of your income? I'm not anti-Doctor by any stretch many of my friends are doctors and I'm certainly not anti-capitalism but it's a bit counterintuitive to rail against your patients for sucking of the gov't tit when they're paying you with the money...and perhaps you are in a really affluent area and have a respected/quasi-exclusive/limited practice and take less than most from those programs but that would put you in the minority....

I'm an anesthesiologist. I don't have the exact numbers, but if I had to guess, over 60% of my cases are the Medis and they account for about 20% of my income. And Medicaid patients, who I'm referring to (since most Medicare patients previously paid-into the system) aren't paying much of anything, and often-times don't even pay the paltry bill they're sent.

I'm an anesthesiologist. I don't have the exact numbers, but if I had to guess, over 60% of my cases are the Medis and they account for about 20% of my income. And Medicaid patients, who I'm referring to (since most Medicare patients previously paid-into the system) aren't paying much of anything, and often-times don't even pay the paltry bill they're sent.

Not sure how that works but I'm not expert ... I would assume meidcaid patients are qualified before-hand and sending them bills that aren't paid is a billing problem on your end but I won't assume anything b/c I don't know the specifics on that. And while Medicare patients paid into the system...lets not pretend they paid into what they are getting out...on balance they're every bit as "guilty" according to the sentiment you express.

Edited by TheNewBills

Wrong answer... I would tell you that is where your entitlement mentality and where the disease really lies!

Go to med school sure... But live like others. The medical profession should not be about "get your own piece of the pie."

Haven't we learned this almost a 100 years ago in Arrowsmith?

He still hasn't answered how much he makes a year... Getting Tuesdays off and all... Sure he has made sacrifces through the years... But we all have for our occupation, most likely some more...

I'm not going to tell you how much I make. And I don't get Tuesday's off. But what do you have against docs that you shouldn't have against anyone who makes good money? Is it because you're a lib and think everyone should make the same? Or do you think health services should be cheap or free?

I might sit on my azz for 7 out of 8 hours... Yet being a gov't WORKER (notice I qualitated that)... In that one hour, I help and aid more to the national economy than most do in a year and still get paid chump change... Millions upon millions (worth in product) is moved through the infrastructure... Aiding PRIVATE industry hugely! That is why I said cheap infrastructure and shipping makes the US competitive.

In 50 years the Chicago area lock that I work at is a net gainer... In 1960, it cost 6 million dollars to build tacked on to the Seaway appropiations... A 60 day closure now hits the regional and national area (Great Lakes states, you aren't the biggest coalition around) for 20 or so million dollars... That is bang for your buck... Add up all the overhead and labor costs in the last 50 years and it has cost less than what the are spending on the carp boondoggle...

That is what makes us competitive! Interests like tourism and recreational (and enviro to a certain extent) should take a back seat to positive gain industry.

And that ain't no carp!

I'm not necessarily on your side but I'm not on Docs side bashing the programs that his customers use to at least in part pay is wages...that said if you asked me to tell you how much I made I would tell you to go !@#$ yourself.

I respect that... Still it shows that people like to hide behind things (pay)... I understand you need to be private. It is not needed though... What harm does it bring? Where does the fear lie? Social ramifications? That is silly.

I'm not going to tell you how much I make. And I don't get Tuesday's off. But what do you have against docs that you shouldn't have against anyone who makes good money? Is it because you're a lib and think everyone should make the same? Or do you think health services should be cheap or free?

I don't have anything against good money... Don't get me into that trap! I think your profession is gouging and the money it makes is illegitimate... Fear is not a factor in my health choices... You put me to sleep, you put me to sleep... You probably want to anyway!

:pirate:

I think Hollywood is the worst at making illegitamate money... And that place is loaded with lib douchebags!

Not sure how that works but I'm not expert ... I would assume meidcaid patients are qualified before-hand and sending them bills that aren't paid is a billing problem on your end but I won't assume anything b/c I don't know the specifics on that. And while Medicare patients paid into the system...lets not pretend they paid into what they are getting out...on balance they're every bit as "guilty" according to the sentiment you express

There is no pre-qualification for Medicaid patients. They're assumed to be poor. And it's not a billing problem on our end: many just don't pay and it's not even worth sending to collections.

And Medicare patients are definitely getting more out than what they paid into the system, considering they're living longer and there are less workers to support them compared to when Medicare first started. But that's a problem that goes well beyond what I'm getting paid and a reason Medicare is going broke, even with the low reimbursement I get.

I can assume that Doc would like you to compare your retirement benefits to those of the most private sector workers though...it is said the new retirement age will be 75 for the majority of public sector workers in the future and 65 for gov't...10 years of your life is worth a hell of a lot. It goes round and round and the "you have this and I have that" won't move us forward IMO.

I don't have anything against good money... Don't get me into that trap! I think your profession is gouging and the money it makes is illegitimate... Fear is not a factor in my health choices... You put me to sleep, you put me to sleep... You probably want to anyway!!

Your problem is with the insurance companies. No doctor, especially not your internist, is even seeing more than a10th of that $700 you kick in a month, for your one visit a year. That $70 wouldn't even pay for an oil change for his BMW! Speaking of which, If you want to talk about gouging, I could give you dozens of professions that are doing it, and none of them are taking care of something as vital as your health.

Your problem is with the insurance companies. No doctor, especially not your internist, is even seeing more than a10th of that $700 you kick in a month, for your one visit a year. That $70 wouldn't even pay for an oil change for his BMW! Speaking of which, If you want to talk about gouging, I could give you dozens of professions that are doing it, and none of them are taking care of something as vital as your health.

So do you like the 80/20 rule? Or using Medicare/Medicaid (since they're big spenders) experimentation to accelerate the natural evolution of cost reform in the form of a comprehensive treatment payment system (as opposed pay-per-serivce)?

Edited by TheNewBills

I understand and realize they do it "because they can." Doesn't make it right... I know I am idealistic... We are getting worse, almost like the clock is being turned back 80-100 years.

BTW... I gotta catch break when ever I can... Wanna check up on me, load an AiS appp on your phone...:P;) Google Earth is awesome. Competitivewise just check how many vessels are sitting off of China... Puts our busiest port (NOLA) to shame... Even know New Orleans is pretty busy!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I understand and realize they do it "because they can." Doesn't make it right... I know I am idealistic... We are getting worse, almost like the clock is being turned back 80-100 years.

BTW... I gotta catch break when ever I can... Wanna check up on me, load an AiS appp on your phone...:P;) Google Earth is awesome. Competitivewise just check how many vessels are sitting off of China... Puts our busiest port (NOLA) to shame... Even know New Orleans is pretty busy!

So, you're a toll booth operator for ships that works one hour out of eight for $30 an hour and you are being exploited? Is it difficult to find time for your breaks?

So do you like the 80/20 rule? Or using Medicare/Medicaid (since they're big spenders) experimentation to accelerate the natural evolution of cost reform in the form of a comprehensive treatment payment system (as opposed pay-per-serivce)?

I don't know how "quality metric" payment will work for my specialty. Do I get paid less if the patient dies during surgery? Has recall? Has even the slightest bit of pain? But for other specialties like internal medicine, it's just another way to reduce reimbursements. You can't control patients when they're not with you, which is the majority of the time. And if that's how we want to go, everyone should be paid based on quality outcomes and not fee-for-service. You think that congress people would agree to be paid based on quality?

There has always been a need to wage war on the entitled doctors and medical profession since Hippocrates... That is where we get "hypocrite" from...

Who's sucking who? Not me at on a Tuesday.

I believe they are entitled... Entitled to live like the rest of us slobs that they tell themselves they are "helping."

Fire up the hate Eric (Exiled)!

Can we now please dispel the notion that class warfare is only some BS talking point for evil Republicans?

Can we now please dispel the notion that class warfare is only some BS talking point for evil Republicans?

Or you can dispel any topic where EiI is a participant.