Collections or Hobbies?

Juror#8

Ever hit your funny bone and have your arm go numb? That's what a desert Eagle will do to you. Skip it, I have been though it. Good OLD .22 lot's of fun,no pain.

You're the second person in as many weeks who has said that. Never even held one but when I mention my interest the usual response is "what's the point."

Zombie Apocalypse I guess.

I'm most interested in military guns from Israel and Eastern Europe. I just haven't been serious enough into collecting to make a purchase. I also would like to buy a revolver...likely a Smith and Wesson Model 625.

What's your favorite piece if you don't mind me asking?

You're the second person in as many weeks who has said that. Never even held one but when I mention my interest the usual response is "what's the point."

I'm most interested in military guns from Israel and Eastern Europe. I just haven't been serious enough into collecting to make a purchase. I also would like to buy a revolver...likely a Smith and Wesson Model 625.

Wheel guns are so..............yesterday. I think my current favorite pistol is a 5.7mm FN

Nice. I also have a massive card collection and CD/LP collection. I also collect shot glass's, matchbooks, first edition books, bumper stickers, and I like to grab souvenirs from my travels.

My currentr "obsession" as far as cards go, is trying to complete an entire set of 1973-74 Topps Hockey cards. Those, along with the NBA and NFL cards from that year, are the first cards I remember "buying" (will admit, I stole a few packs in my day!). One of those "so ugly they are cool" sets...I realize the O-Pee-Chee versions of these are more desireable, but I am not sure they are any harder to find, partiularly in good condition.

Unfortunately, for me, I was never a huge baseball collector. I collected the Reds, and that was about it...baseball cards, in general, seem to retain more value over the years.

Most of my cool baseball stuff was from my brother...he reminds me every now and again...then I remind him that his sons stole a ton of my cards (from my parents house) and sold them, back in the day. Bunch of great NBA and NFL stuff... :P

Edited by Buftex

You know, I don't have a Jordan rookie, and likely never will...so I am not sure. My collection is very Buffalo/me oriented...I don't necessarily care about superstars, unless they play for my teams...there are exceptions. For instance, my formative sports fan life started in the 1970's, in WNY. As a result, I own every card ever issued of a Buffalo Braves player, during the 70's...virtually every Buffalo Bills and Sabres card from that era (and many, many more from before and after, in the case of the Bills). I also happen to be a big Celtics fan. But I hated them, before the Braves left Buffalo. So, while I appreciate the history of the Russell era Celtics, as well as Havlechek, I don't really collect cards featuring them...but I do collect 80's Celtics (Bird era)...

In other words, my collection, I would guess is fairly valuable, but, because it is tailored to my tastes, it doesn't have the value that it might, if I collected everything...if that makes sense. I would more likely drop $20 for a certified autographed Dennis Johnson card, than I would $30 for a certified Tom Brady card...the Brady card would be a far better value, but, to me, personally, the Johnson card is way more valuable... not to say, I wouldn't pick up good value cards of guys I don't care about...they are great for trading!

Very well put and I understand completely.

My collecting back in the late 80s and early 90s consisted of buying a pack of cards and hoping to get Michael Jordan, Larry Bird and Magic Johnson cards.

Lol!

To Birddog:

On the Submariner thing...it's a magnificient watch. I'm just not sure that I want to spend that much on a watch right now...and I'm only looking at used examples. The best thing is, though, that it holds it's value and actually appreciates. You can buy a used Submariner today for $5000, wear it, scuff it, whatever, and sell it in 10 years for $7,000. At least if the last 30 years is any indication.

http://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-watches/wp-content/themes/seocart/images/submariner.png

Rolex has a done a great job with marketing and price controls so that even though they are not particularly rare, they maintin the appearance of exclusivity.

I'd really like to get a Daytona but I'm about 10 years away from that purchase.

Edited by Juror#8

The 1951 production model 70 Winchester 30-06 I bought from the original owner in 1977. So many memory's, I intend on being buried with it. As far as just shooting for fun, My SKS or mini 14.

Wheel guns are so..............yesterday. I think my current favorite pistol is a 5.7mm FN

I imagine you would be bored with my 1917 S&W auto rim. :P

My currentr "obsession" as far as cards go, is trying to complete an entire set of 1973-74 Topps Hockey cards. Those, along with the NBA and NFL cards from that year, are the first cards I remember "buying" (will admit, I stole a few packs in my day!). One of those "so ugly they are cool" sets...I realize the O-Pee-Chee versions of these are more desireable, but I am not sure they are any harder to find, partiularly in good condition.

Unfortunately, for me, I was never a huge baseball collector. I collected the Reds, and that was about it...baseball cards, in general, seem to retain more value over the years.

Most of my cool baseball stuff was from my brother...he reminds me every now and again...then I remind him that his sons stole a ton of my cards (from my parents house) and sold them, back in the day. Bunch of great NBA and NFL stuff... :P

we used to play a game with baseball cards. There would be a line you stood behind, and we would toss cards across the floor. If any card landed on another, you got to keep that card. Well I got pretty good at that game, and ended up with most every kid in the neighborhood's card collection. Baseball, Hockey, Basketball, Football, Charlies Angels, Star Wars, Battleship Gallactica, etc. Last year I moved, and didn't realize how immense the collection was until the move. And in the summer of 1990- I made a bet with my buddy(dolphins fan) that the Bills would win AFC and Superbowl. He gave something like 15-1 odds against AFC, and 30-1 for Superbowl- so I put a $100 on each. Long story short he ended up owing me well over $1000. He is a great friend(I was his best man)so I settled for a couple hundred and his baseball card collection

To Birddog:

On the Submariner thing...it's a magnificient watch. I'm just not sure that I want to spend that much on a watch right now...and I'm only looking at used examples. The best thing is, though, that it holds it's value and actually appreciates. You can buy a used Submariner today for $5000, wear it, scuff it, whatever, and sell it in 10 years for $7,000. At least if the last 30 years is any indication.

http://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-watches/wp-content/themes/seocart/images/submariner.png

Rolex has a done a great job with marketing and price controls so that even though they are not particularly rare, they maintin the appearance of exclusivity.

I'd really like to get a Daytona but I'm about 10 years away from that purchase.

but there's a risk.... getting a fake. there's more than a couple folks walking around with a "rolex" with a great looking watch that has a low end swiss movement that works just fine til you get it appraised by a jeweler. i'd be very skeptical of on line watches. the chinese even knock off $500 watches so it's an iffy investment. i'll stick with a nice looking but well made reasonably priced watch. next on my list is a hamilton ventura - the one worn in "men in black". one of the first electronic watches and very cool looking to my eye. almost iconic. not cheap but no were near a rolex.

I started collecting shot glasses when I was in college, but it was a specific type of collection: cheap airport news stand versions. My first one was from the Fayetteville NC airport after I had completed my ROTC Advanced Camp at Ft. Bragg. I had a couple of others like from Bourbon St. NOLA and the gift shop at the Federal Cartridge plant in MN ("the only shot glass you'll ever need"), but for the most part they were simply $3 ones you see in every airport. When I was in NYC for a wedding shortly after 9/11, I was looking at a shelf at the Newark airport and a guy I worked with saw me and asked what I was looking for. I told him about my collection. Eventually this guy would become my boss and on every trip he made, he'd pick up a shot glass for me. But not just cheapies. He got some real nice ones from Rome, St. Luzerne Switzerland, and another from Door County WI that is so big, it's more like a juice glass. Other people in the office would notice him dropping off the glasses and would remember. So one girl picked up one in Paris and another friend got one from Mexico City.

So when I look at my collection, it also reminds me of the friends I've picked up over the years that have kept me in mind while they've traveled the globe.

:thumbsup:

I started collecting shot glasses when I was in college, but it was a specific type of collection: cheap airport news stand versions. My first one was from the Fayetteville NC airport after I had completed my ROTC Advanced Camp at Ft. Bragg. I had a couple of others like from Bourbon St. NOLA and the gift shop at the Federal Cartridge plant in MN ("the only shot glass you'll ever need"), but for the most part they were simply $3 ones you see in every airport. When I was in NYC for a wedding shortly after 9/11, I was looking at a shelf at the Newark airport and a guy I worked with saw me and asked what I was looking for. I told him about my collection. Eventually this guy would become my boss and on every trip he made, he'd pick up a shot glass for me. But not just cheapies. He got some real nice ones from Rome, St. Luzerne Switzerland, and another from Door County WI that is so big, it's more like a juice glass. Other people in the office would notice him dropping off the glasses and would remember. So one girl picked up one in Paris and another friend got one from Mexico City.

So when I look at my collection, it also reminds me of the friends I've picked up over the years that have kept me in mind while they've traveled the globe.

Cool story, HG.

Lionel trains, Model Airplanes, US Stamps, got a few coins on those old blue collection card/books, WNY and Airplane postcards, BILLS/SABRES stuff-what can I say-a child of the 50's! My wife says we need to "downsize" but I always tell her YOU FIRST!

The 1951 production model 70 Winchester 30-06 I bought from the original owner in 1977. So many memory's, I intend on being buried with it. As far as just shooting for fun, My SKS or mini 14.

I imagine you would be bored with my 1917 S&W auto rim. :P

Wondering what your thoughts are on a (I believe) a Winchester 30-06 US Model 1917?

Would it be worth the BS of moving it across the country via the "legal" way?

Wondering what your thoughts are on a (I believe) a Winchester 30-06 US Model 1917?

Would it be worth the BS of moving it across the country via the "legal" way?

Ship it to a FFL Where you are going, as Far as I Know a 5 shot bolt is legal in all states, but there may be local laws to contend with. Better to pay $40.00 bucks and ship it.

The M1917 as made by Winchester? [And yes I do own one]

$1,000 if original [or more] Keep it.