Hot for Librarian

I am more shocked that there are still librarians...

Because you don't use the library? Or maybe because you think Google makes them obsolete?

I'll defer to my favorite comment on the subject:

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.” — Neil Gaiman

Because you don't use the library? Or maybe because you think Google makes them obsolete?

Does it matter? In this so called technological age they are becoming scarse. That was my point. And no I don't use a library, I am no longer in school and don't have a need for the dewey decimel system.

Until Google has long dark hair, a pleated skirt, and glasses, and can coo "You're book is three weeks late, you naughty, naughty boy," librarians will never be obsolete.

I'm sure the geeks at Mountainview are working hard on that, too.

Wow. Overreact much? It's not an opinion that libraries are a dying institution.

Wow. Overreact much? It's not an opinion that libraries are a dying institution.

Actually, I believe it is an opinion Steve, and I also believe it is an incorrect opinion.

There are six libraries in my immediate area, all of which are slam full of people every single weekend, and most weekdays. Libraries are modernized with DVDs, Blu-rays, ebooks, etc. They also do lots of activities for children, book readings and such. I would say that most people without kids probably use libraries less, but they are very well utilized in our community...

Until Google has long dark hair, a pleated skirt, and glasses, and can coo "You're book is three weeks late, you naughty, naughty boy," librarians will never be obsolete.

So you're saying you can't find all that stuff on google?

Does it matter? In this so called technological age they are becoming scarse. That was my point. And no I don't use a library, I am no longer in school and don't have a need for the dewey decimel system.

First of all, my reply was made tongue in cheek- next time I'll be sure to use an emoticon to clarify :)

Second, the reason libraries/librarians are becoming more scarce has almost everything to with politics and budget balancing and nearly nothing to do with the utility of the profession. I don't deny that librarians and libraries are one of the first professions/instituions on the chopping block in the pubic sector.

I'm a teacher with a Master's in Library and Information Science, so forgive me for being a little defensive. I obviously read more into what you were saying, TONE, so I apologize for that.

I recently started using the library again for the first time since I was about 6. Most books I'm reading aren't the kind that you pick up more than once, and I'm running out of places to put the ones I already have, so the library was a logical conclusion. I'm pretty sure I owe them about $20 in late fees though, so I'm really hoping its more like what DC Tom described than being chastised by a morbidly obese woman with a moustache like when I was 6.

First of all, my reply was made tongue in cheek- next time I'll be sure to use an emoticon to clarify :)

Second, the reason libraries/librarians are becoming more scarce has almost everything to with politics and budget balancing and nearly nothing to do with the utility of the profession. I don't deny that librarians and libraries are one of the first professions/instituions on the chopping block in the pubic sector.

I'm a teacher with a Master's in Library and Information Science, so forgive me for being a little defensive. I obviously read more into what you were saying, TONE, so I apologize for that.

No worries, I got your point. Obviously did not realize your proffession and background.

Yes, I can find naughty librarians on Google...

...thus illustrating the need for librarians, and making my point.

Yeah, but they're not really librarians though. I suppose they wouldn't be acting (and I use that term very loosely) as librarians unless the real ones did in fact exist.

Maybe I'm just biases since every librarian I ever ran into was an old lady, as opposed to this one who looks like the girl from American Pie.