46% of Americans believe in creation

Doesn't God telling us that we should have no other gods other than him indirectly prove that other gods actually exist? If He was the only God, there'd be nothing to worry about. Myabe He was just upset because everyone wanted to hang out with Zeus and the Olympians. They have a lot more fun.

Except that you have to consider it in the polytheistic context it was written. Most other religions in proximity to Judaism were polytheistic and permissive (because hey, what's one more). Yaweh was the first dude to say "Wait a minute...you want to believe in me, you need to denounce your three-titted fertility goddess and all the others."

I misread the graph. I blame a cheap LCD screen.

Somebody, call me an idiot.

• Replies 294
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Except that you have to consider it in the polytheistic context it was written. Most other religions in proximity to Judaism were polytheistic and permissive (because hey, what's one more). Yaweh was the first dude to say "Wait a minute...you want to believe in me, you need to denounce your three-titted fertility goddess and all the others."

I misread the graph. I blame a cheap LCD screen.

Somebody, call me an idiot.

I'll use derivative work in order to delay legal action:

Buy a better monitor, you penny-pinching idiot.

Edited by LeviF91

And that struck people as a good idea at the time?

Theres a comedy bit that goes: Go to your local bar area (Chip Strip for example) and watch all the people coming out of the bars at closing. Then realize that those same people are 1000X more educated than the people that wrote the Bible.

Theres a comedy bit that goes: Go to your local bar area (Chip Strip for example) and watch all the people coming out of the bars at closing. Then realize that those same people are 1000X more educated than the people that wrote the Bible.

Go sit outside OTB on Tuesday morning and see the people who go in and out. No reason. Just do it.

Then it only follows that we too are a test run.

You've got the fingerprints of /r/atheism all over ya!

Be careful mentioning the good stuff. There are enough selmons over there.

Have you seen the early Assyrian fertility idols? They were serious ass men.

Edit: props to me for being the first in history to type "early Assyrian fertility idols" on a football message board. :w00t:

Edited by DC Tom

And 7% presumably said "I don't know", probably the most intellectually honest answer.

I agree. An atheist who tells me they KNOW God doesn't exist lacks just as much credibility in my eyes as a Christian who says they know he does. Nobody knows, and nobody will until we kick the bucket. I take a lot of grief from Christians I've debated with about faith v. knowledge. I believe we're called to have faith, and that knowledge of something precludes the need for faith. I think a lot of my peers miss that piont and saying they KNOW God exists is just part of the arrogance that a lot of Christians possess.

Just my $.02

Go sit outside OTB on Tuesday morning and see the people who go in and out. No reason. Just do it.

I tried but OTB is closed. Apparently NYS can't even run a betting parlor without !@#$ing it up.

I agree. An atheist who tells me they KNOW God doesn't exist lacks just as much credibility in my eyes as a Christian who says they know he does. Nobody knows, and nobody will until we kick the bucket. I take a lot of grief from Christians I've debated with about faith v. knowledge. I believe we're called to have faith, and that knowledge of something precludes the need for faith. I think a lot of my peers miss that piont and saying they KNOW God exists is just part of the arrogance that a lot of Christians possess.

Just my $.02

And how do we know that, either?

Just my $.02

It's not even fair. At least if theists are correct they (at least some of them) get the pleasure of observing that fact. If atheists are correct, nobody will ever know!

Edited by LeviF91

And how do we know that, either?

Damned if I know.

It's not even fair. At least if theists are correct they (at least some of them) get the pleasure of observing that fact. If atheists are correct, nobody will ever know!

lol well if my own personal beliefs about God and what happens at death are anywhere near accurate, it'll be an interesting scene!

Have you seen the early Assyrian fertility idols? They were serious ass men.

Edit: props to me for being the first in history to type "early Assyrian fertility idols" on a football message board. :w00t:

:lol: :lol:

:worthy:

:beer: For the brown people and their higher spiritual plane above us self centered white Christen's :wallbash: Oh I keep forgeting about the brown Catholics in Mexico and South America! Well you know what I mean.

I never said Hindus operated on a higher spiritual plane. Their religion and creation beliefs predates Christianity by thousands of years. Don't you think it's possible that there's something to be learned by studying a culture that was building massive cities, creating a written language and astounding works of art when most of our ancestors were still in the stone age?

There's NOTHING of value in a culture and religion that predates our own by literally thousands of years?

...Besides, they also believed in Vimanas and extraterrestrial battles for control of Earth. Doesn't get cooler than that.

I never said Hindus operated on a higher spiritual plane. Their religion and creation beliefs predates Christianity by thousands of years. Don't you think it's possible that there's something to be learned by studying a culture that was building massive cities, creating a written language and astounding works of art when most of our ancestors were still in the stone age?

There's NOTHING of value in a culture and religion that predates our own by literally thousands of years?

For the 2nd time I never said any such thing. It was the smug superior remark of your's that by being brown their religion is automaticly dismissed by whom? The West? Christens? Not sure really what you where getting at. Just seemed like a cheap way to throw racism into a discussion to make some sort of point.

I wish you lived in North Carolina. I am not religious, homosexual, a minority or a male nurse...but I still feel as if I am insulted. It is something that doesn't get to me very often but religion is in your face here. Our County building has "In God We Trust" on it!

Wait - they put the official motto of the United States on the county building! Shocking!