Revis remains non-committal on showing up for camp

Lovely. Jets are between rock and hard place this time. Little cap room and needs to address.

---------

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Three weeks after claiming he's happy with his contract, New York Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis fueled a new round of speculation Thursday by refusing to guarantee he will report for the start of training camp.

"I don't know," Revis said after the Jets' OTA practice, becoming testy. "That's all I'm telling you. I don't know if I am or I'm not."

http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=7993415

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I see this as a bad thing. I don't want them to develop anyone else at the position in the meantime. I know they won't be as good as Revis, but just like how Stevie and Pears are out with us, it gives someone else more playing time to sharpen thier skills. I'd much rather have them get Revis, Rely on Revis and get smoked by Stevie on opening day with Revis.

he has zero leverage. he got his big deal. if he doesnt want to play then he wont get paid and he will get fined...

Yes he does. Jets defense starts with his single cover capability of the opponents #1 WR.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

he has zero leverage. he got his big deal. if he doesnt want to play then he wont get paid and he will get fined...

I really hope this happens. He pulls a Vincent Jackson and losses a step even after he comes back and is never looked at the same ever again.

It seems to moi that this is a lot of high-per-bowl-lay. i.e., typical NYC media stuff.

frum da article:

The current contract includes a clause that prohibits the Jets from using the franchise tag..
It also includes a provision that seemingly would dissuade Revis from holding out. If he's a no-show for training camp, it triggers a three-year extension, through 2016, at relatively modest salaries.

Ryan has said on many occasions that Revis and Deion Sanders are the best cornerbacks he's ever seen, and that Revis is a surefire Hall of Famer. On Thursday, Ryan made light of the comparison, suggesting Revis should be paid like Sanders -- knowing, of course, that salaries have increased since Deion's playing days.

"What I'm saying is, Deion Sanders made X amount of dollars, so Revis, sign that contract," Ryan said. "Go ahead and negotiate it now. I think that's being fair."

Sounds to me like Coach got taken to the woodshed and has gone as far in backing his golden-footed protege as his can. The way this playing out is just typical NYC media ennui - scraping for a story, and Revis - like any NFL "superstar" is playing the role of mendicant for all it's worth. Pun intended.

I bet he sits if he doesn't get a new deal that pays 8 figures per over next 2 years. I see jets adding another year to say they got something out of it. Revis doesn't see himself getting paid mid 7 figures for his services per year locked in for next 2, especially in his prime. His ego and monetary desires won't allow it.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Who cares?

Apparently at least several people.

How is this Bills news?

Take a look at the regular season schedule. Think whether or not Revis holds out might have an impact in Week One?

The only thing Bills related is Stevie owned him.

That's a gross exaggeration. Yes, Stevie made some plays against Revis, but the Bills lost both games.

He plays this same card every year, why even pay him any mention and start a topic on it?

I doubt anyone in the Jets organization is perusing TSW for data on this topic.

I see this as a bad thing. I don't want them to develop anyone else at the position in the meantime. I know they won't be as good as Revis, but just like how Stevie and Pears are out with us, it gives someone else more playing time to sharpen thier skills. I'd much rather have them get Revis, Rely on Revis and get smoked by Stevie on opening day with Revis.

Surely you can't be serious.

Ha, ha, ha. Good stuff. Um, wait, you're serious?