Doc Watson: Music world loses a true legend

Buftex

Just heard it on the bluegrass station out of Winston that he passed at Baptist Hospital last night. (Stern is on vacation so I do the FM radio). The guy was a great man, 89 years old and has changed music so much!

Another music legend dies that I never heard of until they died.

He is one of those whose musical influence is heard by everyone, even if they never heard of him... if rock 'n' roll is a hybrid of blues and country, his flat-picking style (along with Merle Travis) can be heard on all the old rockabilly classics that formed the back-bone of rock and roll...his sound is as distinctive as the "Bo Diddley beat"...it is so cliche (in a good way) that everyone knows the sound, but not necessarily where it started...the term "music legend" gets thrown around loosely...but Doc Watson is a legend.

Edited by Buftex

some people just never get to understand how music came to be music. I was listening to the radio this morning and was going thru stations, right before the bluegrass station I heard a Justin Bieber song "Boyfriend." It is depressing what passes for music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTzWAFhAWBI

To bring another legend in the mix, Chet Atkins.

Had the pleasure of seeing him a couple years ago at Rhythm and Roots...couldn't have been more humble or talented. He has left an amazing legacy. He was very concerned with passing on old timey mountain music to future generations. It's probably listened to by more people now than ever before. The festival he started in honor of his son, Merlefest, is a huge success, a tough ticket to get and a big gig for most bands. I thought it appropriate that the day before he died, Rhythm and Roots announced that Mumford and Son's would be appearing this year. A grammy nominated UK bluegrass band continuing the art in Doc's back yard is a fitting tribute.

Edited by birdog1960

Theres alot of good bands influenced by bluegrass..one of my current favorites is Trampled by Turtles....and Mumford of course.

Had the pleasure of seeing him a couple years ago at Rhythm and Roots...couldn't have been more humble or talented. He has left an amazing legacy. He was very concerned with passing on old timey mountain music to future generations. It's probably listened to by more people now than ever before. The festival he started in honor of his son, Merlefest, is a huge success, a tough ticket to get and a big gig for most bands. I thought it appropriate that the day before he died, Rhythm and Roots announced that Mumford and Son's would be appearing this year. A grammy nominated UK bluegrass band continuing the art in Doc's back yard is a fitting tribute.

Theres alot of good bands influenced by bluegrass..one of my current favorites is Trampled by Turtles....and Mumford of course.

I agree...but the legacy can be overwhelming. a coworker saw Mumford at the Ryman recently and they were so nervous the forgot their own lyrics...some pretty big shoes to fill but i think many of them are up to it musically.

I was lucky to to see Doc Watson, the David Bromberg Band, and the Earl Scruggs Review all at one summer concert in Central Park back in 1973.

It was eerie hearing bluegrass, blues, and country-rock under the trees, surrounded by brightly lit tall buildings.

It was only about my third or 4th time in the city, and I became a NYC addict. Very Cool!

I was lucky to to see Doc Watson, the David Bromberg Band, and the Earl Scruggs Review all at one summer concert in Central Park back in 1973.

It was eerie hearing bluegrass, blues, and country-rock under the trees, surrounded by brightly lit tall buildings.

It was only about my third or 4th time in the city, and I became a NYC addict. Very Cool!

I've only been there about 20 times, but every time I go there, I am thinking the whole time that I love this place - it fits like a glove for me.

I go back at least once every year! :thumbsup:

I am pretty close to that, too.......This year, went to see a Sabres game at the Garden on a Saturday night. That place rocked way better than our arena!