UB Medical Campus downtown

in the buffalo news article I read last week that showed the winning Firm, they said but "none of the designs will be used on the actual building" - that those designs were just to show the panel "what the firm was thinking" and "how they would create a useable space" - so I though that was just their winning design to get to come up with a design for UB med campus...I know that sounds truly odd...but thats how that article read, that this design shown here wouldnt actually BE the design of the campus....

in the buffalo news article I read last week that showed the winning Firm, they said but "none of the designs will be used on the actual building" - that those designs were just to show the panel "what the firm was thinking" and "how they would create a useable space" - so I though that was just their winning design to get to come up with a design for UB med campus...I know that sounds truly odd...but thats how that article read, that this design shown here wouldnt actually BE the design of the campus....

I couldn't figure out that article last week, either. I said is this what it's going to look like or not, and then said I have no time to figure this out!

Not to be a party-pooper, but isn't this a classic example of why companies and people leave NYS?

A $375,000,000 building? To be paid for by NYS taxpayers? Seriously?

Couldn't a $200,000,000 building - or even a $100,000,000 building, for that matter - serve the same purpose?

Also, it's pretty telling that, the same week that they announce this new new biomedical building, a Buffalo biomedical company (Greatbatch) announces its corporate headquarters move away from Buffalo?

I guess this building is all fine and dandy, but I think that NYS' financial priorities are a little out of order.

Not to be a party-pooper, but isn't this a classic example of why companies and people leave NYS?

Couldn't a $200,000,000 building - or even a $100,000,000 building, for that matter - serve the same purpose?

Also, it's pretty telling that, the same week that they announce this new new biomedical building, a Buffalo biomedical company (Greatbatch) announces its corporate headquarters move away from Buffalo?

I guess this building is all fine and dandy, but I think that NYS' financial priorities are a little out of order.

I'm no expert on what buildings cost. Why do stadiums cost over $1B these days?

PTR

Good point.

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/escape-new-york-high-taxing-empire-state-loses-34-million-residents-10-years

A ton of this money is coming from endowments, and donations. Plus the added tuition costs. So I guess you suggest that UB doesn't become an economic powerhouse and try to keep up with the likes of major state universities.

If there is one thing our tax dollars should go to is this medical campus, which brings high paying jobs, intellectual capital, and off shoot economic endeavors.

However, we can can continue to do nothing.

Real backward response on your behalf.

From the article...

The proposed $375 million medical school, funded in part by NYSUNY 2020 legislation, is a key component of the UB 2020 plan for academic excellence, which is intended to benefit students, faculty, staff and the Western New York community.

Except they've been planning that biomedical campus for quite some time now. Longer, I'd wager, than Wilson Greatbach's been planning their move. The timing's most likely coincidence.

Not like it matters. Within five years, local politics will kill this thing deader than a Bass Pro Shop.

I just started working at the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus and it is starting to turn into an impressive place. With Children's Hospital scheduled to move in 2015 and the medical school moving as well, it should start to rejuvenate a long neglected area of downtown. Besides where else in the world can you under go a cardiac angiogram one block away from where the chicken wing was invented?

I just started working at the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus and it is starting to turn into an impressive place. With Children's Hospital scheduled to move in 2015 and the medical school moving as well, it should start to rejuvenate a long neglected area of downtown. Besides where else in the world can you under go a cardiac angiogram one block away from where the chicken wing was invented?

:lol::beer:

Downtown is really starting to shape up. That area is going to really look good. The Canalside and all the other things by the water are so much better than the do nothing set of the last 50 years. I even read about the Larkin District shaping up today.