Bills OTAs begin May 29

Bills OTA Primer via Chris Brown

Interesting tid bit:

Participants

Attendance is expected to be very high for a close-knit roster that prides itself on commitment. The only rookie expected to miss OTAs due to class schedule is S Delano Howell out of Stanford.

Players that are still rehabilitating from offseason surgeries and expected to be limited or held out of OTA practices include TE Mike Caussin, CB Terrence McGee, DE Shawne Merriman, DT Torell Troup, LB Chris White, DT Kyle Williams, C Eric Wood.

While I want everyone healthy, the fact that these guys aren't participating at this point gives extra opportunities to the younger/unproven guys. I think this good, all things considered.

No McGee? More reps for the young CBs.

No Kyle? More reps for the glut of backup D linemen.

And so on...

Not only do the "on the bubble" guys get more opportunities to showcase their talent, they get more of an opportunity to learn and gain valuable experience. By bumping up a spot on the depth chart, even temporarily, these guys will be going against a better tier of players.

This also allows the coaches to make better evaluations, based on additional on field time for the players in question.

Is there any downside? I mean the guys are already injured. Just looking for the silver lining here. One more day til we can overanalyze the 3 minute video "highlights" on bb.com :thumbsup:

Is there any downside? I mean the guys are already injured. Just looking for the silver lining here. One more day til we can overanalyze the 3 minute video "highlights" on bb.com :thumbsup:

I think you're making a legit argument. Let's get the first stringers back, but until then the coaches will get a better look at everyone else.

I know there were signifcant changes with the new CBA. How much contact is allowed at these OTA's?

No pads and basically no contact.

There is no hitting and no tackling.

If I'm not mistaken, the only " contact" is working on blocking and block shedding technique, and maybe WRs getting off jam coverage and it's not at 100% effort - more of a demonstration.

You still get to line up against players and run plays. The coaches get to see how well the players can execute assignments among other things.

Here's how the new CBA changes practices:

Fewer workouts and practice. The new deal limits teams to 14 padded practices during the regular season — one per week through Week 12, with just three more over the last five weeks. Before then, there will be no two-a-day practices during training camp. There will be a limit of 10 organized team activity sessions per team, and all OTA's will begin after May 1.

Read more: My link

Edited by uncle flap

And not a moment too soon.

Hopefully this means an end to the plethora of inventive yet non-topical, troll-like, bandwidth-wasting, meaningless LAMP threads that have limited the participation of long-term TSW regulars, if not kept them away from the board entirely.

Now we can start talking real Bills football! BTW, I've heard nothing at all about TJ Graham signing a contract - have I been asleep at the wheel, or is he going to be a hold-out for a while longer?

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

post-2970-004888500 1338239465_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

Cannot imagine any player with a contract not showing up if he wants to play on a winning team!!

It sounds like the Bills to a man are excited about the season ... maybe we'll get some hints from the OTA about Chan's onfield plans.

And not a moment too soon.

Hopefully this means an end to the plethora of inventive yet non-topical, troll-like, bandwidth-wasting, meaningless LAMP threads that have limited the participation of long-term TSW regulars, if not kept them away from the board entirely.

Now we can start talking real Bills football! BTW, I've heard nothing at all about TJ Graham signing a contract - have I been asleep at the wheel, or is he going to be a hold-out for a while longer?

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

But...but...didn't you know the Bills could have had Charlie Weis nearly a decade ago? :bag:

But...but...didn't you know the Bills could have had Charlie Weis nearly a decade ago? :bag:

:rolleyes:

I think I remember glancing at that one before skipping over it.

Wasn't there also some massive missive about why Nix may be different than other GMs we've had? :wallbash:

(Skipped over that one too.)

19 and 0 baby!!!! :thumbsup:

...or the 100 Most Average list. :blink:

PTR

Actually, that one piqued my interest a bit - if I concede that some players on that list were more average than some other more-or-less 'average' players, what specific qualities makes someone the 'most average' player?

(More average, say, than another average player? :unsure:)

In other breaking, thread-worthy news...Ralph is cheap.