Photos of Timothy O'Sullivan 1871-4

Beerball

I found some amazing views in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. My parents own property there. Some truly beautiful views. I have some of the photos I took hanging on my walls.

O'Sullivan returned to his parent's home in Staten Island where he died from tuberculosis. Seen as an irony as he had survived some of the most inhospitable conditions known to man beforehand, such as Death valley and the Grand Canyon

Nonsense. Unironically, the most inhospitable conditions in the late 19th century were found for the most part in major cities.

Those are some great pictures. Though he clearly photoshopped the Anasazi cliff houses.

Scuse me for going off topic, but Tom, have you seen the WWII in HD series yet? That just became available on netflix and was wondering what you thought of it. Seeing these pics reminded me of it for some reason.

Uh you see spots that look like Nevada in Carolina?

I see images or people, places and things that look as if they are that aged. Maybe some time I will snap a few pictures of it. One of my favorite scenes is right outside of Seagrove, NC, on 74 right at the Little River Road/705. If you look right getting off the exit you see a small little cabin built right on a pond with a small dock. It is right past era, I would bet it is well over 100 years old.

Scuse me for going off topic, but Tom, have you seen the WWII in HD series yet? That just became available on netflix and was wondering what you thought of it. Seeing these pics reminded me of it for some reason.

The World at War is still the best WWII series ever made.

Though WWII in HD isn't bad...my objection to those series (aside from anglocentrism) is generally that they pick footage for visual effect rather than accuracy (e.g. take footage from different and unrelated battles and splice it together for a completely unrelated narration, because it looks good). But that's me nitpicking. And the nice thing about WWII in HD (and WWII in Color) is that they do end up using a lot of footage you don't usually see otherwise.

I see images or people, places and things that look as if they are that aged. Maybe some time I will snap a few pictures of it. One of my favorite scenes is right outside of Seagrove, NC, on 74 right at the Little River Road/705. If you look right getting off the exit you see a small little cabin built right on a pond with a small dock. It is right past era, I would bet it is well over 100 years old.

Oh I see what you mean. I thought you meant the natural scenery.

Though WWII in HD isn't bad...my objection to those series (aside from anglocentrism) is generally that they pick footage for visual effect rather than accuracy (e.g. take footage from different and unrelated battles and splice it together for a completely unrelated narration, because it looks good). But that's me nitpicking. And the nice thing about WWII in HD (and WWII in Color) is that they do end up using a lot of footage you don't usually see otherwise.

Did you expect it to be produced from the Japanese view?

My grandfather sent me a picture yesterday from his time in WWII. He was recovering in Guam following an injury as a result of a shot down kamikaze fighter. My grandfather is 86 years old, and he was about 19 in the picture. It's a great picture simply because of that. It's a completely awesome picture because of the date written on the bottom. It says "[name], Agana Airfield, Guam, Aug. 14, 1945, The day the war was over". Pretty ridiculous picture.

My wife, who doesn't know her history as much as she should, asked the importance of that picture. I said it would be like having a picture of her relative in Ford's Theater on 4/14/1865 or Dallas Texas on 11/22/63, or in philadelphia on 7/4/1776. The inscription is soooo cool.

Oh I see what you mean. I thought you meant the natural scenery.

Did you expect it to be produced from the Japanese view?

Great photos - thanks BeerSphere for sharing.

Most Americans have little appreciation of what the Ruskies went through in their war with Hitler.

I admit that I've just recently begun to appreciate how horrible they had it.

It makes the rape of Berlin slightly more understandable. Slightly.

Most Americans have little appreciation of what the Ruskies went through in their war with Hitler.

Oh no question WWll was horrible in Russia. But as any Ukrainian will tell you, what goes around comes around.

Interesting, thanks...I keep forgetting about "The World at War"...I remember when that series came out back in the 80s...hell I even remember the commercials. I'm gonna check that out cause I really have been taking an interest in WWII lately.

Pretty much what I meant. The bias the west has had towards the west, while understandable (considering the Russians didn't release any info on their war until the '90s), is unfortunate. 70% of German war effort, and close to 90% of the German casualties, were in the East. It's actually rather sad that any documentary made in the past 10 years STILL spends more time on El Alamein than Bagration, or on Bastogne over Leningrad.

amazing what mankind does to each other. frightening actually. But once you fire one shot--the process starts.

If your family is killed by any side whether collateral damage or not---you will develope an intense/murderous hatred for the side that did it to you.And on and on it goes.Before you know it 50,000,000 people are slaughtered.