jarron gilbert, does he have a legit chance?

he seems like the wanny type dt. long, tall, quick and powerful. leon lett, jimmie jones like... his san jose tape is unreal. ( yes i know its a small school)

i wonder if he can make it as our 5th dt?

especially with troup and his back problems....

i think heard and carrington are locked in as our backup dts! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Edited by MARCELL DAREUS POWER

And then there's the always hopeful aspect of "second-chance, chip-on-his-shoulder" talented players.

The guy's a specimen who played at a slightly lower level of competition (San Jose State, which btw has about 5 wide receivers in the NFL right now).

His measurables are elite-level.

He was signed to and released from the Jets practice squad about 3 times before we signed him to the active roster.

This will be another one of the interesting stories to follow.

For all I know he could suck but also, I wouldn't be surprised if he made the team.

youtube.com/watch?v=MwJrEOtk41M

youtube.com/watch?v=gK_SxTr4jZs&feature=related :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

youtube.com/watch?v=gK_SxTr4jZs&feature=related

Last time i watched a video by those two guys it was Stevie they were profiling.

Guy looks like a beast. Wonder why he has not been able to stick yet?

And then there's the always hopeful aspect of "second-chance, chip-on-his-shoulder" talented players.

The guy's a specimen who played at a slightly lower level of competition (San Jose State, which btw has about 5 wide receivers in the NFL right now).

His measurables are elite-level.

He was signed to and released from the Jets practice squad about 3 times before we signed him to the active roster.

This will be another one of the interesting stories to follow.

For all I know he could suck but also, I wouldn't be surprised if he made the team.

That's what I am hoping for from Gilbert.

He's definitely an under-the-radar player, and he's only 25, so let's see what he can do during camp and preseason.

The big issue with Gilbert is do you play him at DT or DE?

Revenge mission.

The kid looks like something worth working on for us.

As we well know a diffrent setting with different coaching ( DW !! ) can do wonders for a player. I am thinking Him working out with our defense line is a position alot of young players wish they could be doing right now.

You say we picked him up off the Jets? Hmmmm... revenge mission. Gailey versus Ryan/ gilbert vs maybin maybe?

He's definitely an under-the-radar player, and he's only 25, so let's see what he can do during camp and preseason.

use the giants style of rotation mixing them up. That a good problem to have Mark!

Edited by 3rdand12

he looks like a clone of leon lett. a 3 tech dt makes most sense.

I think he's the guy who will push Carrington right through the Preseason. I don't see the Bills keeping both.

Last year, ProFootballFocus had Carrington rated #62 out of 67 overall 4-3 Defensive Ends. Spencer Johnson was #56.

Mark Anderson was #13, Mario (in 2010) was #14.

Edited by Astrobot

I think he's the guy who will push Carrington right through the Preseason. I don't see the Bills keeping both.

Last year, ProFootballFocus had Carrington rated #62 out of 67 overall 4-3 Defensive Ends. Spencer Johnson was #56.

Mark Anderson was #13, Mario (in 2010) was #14.

carrington is a potential monster. hes a beast imo. he wasnt a 43 de last year, he was a 34 de. he played regular dt in 4 man fronts rushing the passer...

carrington and heard are locked in as backups. no way johnson or edwards stay as a 5th dt making that money. inactives dont make that, and they wont cut heard or carrington. that would make no sense.

that 5dt spot will be between, troup, dotson, ross, and gilbert. i think gilbert wins that job...

In Chris Brown's recent fan friday (in case you don't know, Chris Brown is Buffalo Bill's media, writer, team reporter) he claims Carrington is currently a DE in Wanny's scheme, but who could kick in on obvious passing downs, much like the Giants have done with their rotation and pressure packages. So, Gilbert might not have Carrington to compete with. I say, if the kid has it, and he shows even a little high end potential, they'll probably decide to keep him over another player who might be more refined, but also more defined, in a limited potential way.

Here's the link to the fan friday: http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/05/25/fan-friday-5-25/

In Chris Brown's recent fan friday (in case you don't know, Chris Brown is Buffalo Bill's media, writer, team reporter) he claims Carrington is currently a DE in Wanny's scheme, but who could kick in on obvious passing downs, much like the Giants have done with their rotation and pressure packages. So, Gilbert might not have Carrington to compete with. I say, if the kid has it, and he shows even a little high end potential, they'll probably decide to keep him over another player who might be more refined, but also more defined, in a limited potential way.

Here's the link to the fan friday: http://blogs.buffalo...an-friday-5-25/

First of all, thanks for posting.

Secondly, I thought (and couldn't confirm because I can't pull up the Bills roster from their website right now) that at last look that Carrington was listed as a DT, and Batten as a DE.

However according to the "Fan Friday" link, Carrington is mainly a DE and Batten mainly a OLB.

I would say Carrington makes more sense at DE and Batten looks to me like a man without a position.

Secondly, I thought (and couldn't confirm because I can't pull up the Bills roster from their website right now) that at last look that Carrington was listed as a DT, and Batten as a DE.

You are correct, that is how they are listed respectively on the Bills roster, just accessed today.

However according to the "Fan Friday" link, Carrington is mainly a DE and Batten mainly a OLB.

I would say Carrington makes more sense at DE and Batten looks to me like a man without a position.

Jarron Gilbert looks like a man without a position though. He is a 3-4 DE. At 6-5 288, is he a 4-3 DE? I don't know if he is a 4-3 DT

The OP does point out that Wannstache does have a predilection for speed. So maybe he Gilbert can be fast depth at DT, If he is flexible enough to play 4-3 DE and DT then being a utility D-Line player gives him some additional value.

I hope they have some pools at training camp so we can see if Gilbert still has it.

In that video he's wearing number 90. How's that gonna work? We already have 2 guys in the roster that already have or want that number.

Really tho, this guy looks like a beast. I'd live it if he made the team. I'd say that because of his size and strength he would be a DT in the 4-3. However, he looks so fast it almost seems like a mismatch if he was a DE. Think about have 2 290+ lb DEs and 2 350+ lb DTs in the field at the same time. I could see offenses having major troubles trying to deal with all that beef.

In the end I think he males the team because he looks very versitle. Could play DE or DT or even OLB in a pinch if needed so I think he's all but signed at this point.

carrington is a potential monster. hes a beast imo. he wasnt a 43 de last year, he was a 34 de. he played regular dt in 4 man fronts rushing the passer...

carrington and heard are locked in as backups. no way johnson or edwards stay as a 5th dt making that money. inactives dont make that, and they wont cut heard or carrington. that would make no sense.

that 5dt spot will be between, troup, dotson, ross, and gilbert. i think gilbert wins that job...

I can definitely see Johnson making the team. He's a good player and has been playing out of position in the 3-4. I think he's our 3rd best DT behind dareus and Kyle. Edwards, I would assume gets the axe.....but he's yet to be cut, which may give him a slight chance of sticking around, though doubtful.

I can definitely see Johnson making the team. He's a good player and has been playing out of position in the 3-4. I think he's our 3rd best DT behind dareus and Kyle. Edwards, I would assume gets the axe.....but he's yet to be cut, which may give him a slight chance of sticking around, though doubtful.

I could see Spencer Johnson making it as well

This is the new bills....they are not going to wait around on the "P" word for players anymore (this means you Troupe and Carrington)

Back injuries like Troups are pretty serious...I think he faces a uphill battle.....Carrington is so athletic for his size they had him and Spencer Johnson playing LINEBACKER last year....which was pretty ridiculous. So glad Edwards is gone.

This is the new bills....they are not going to wait around on the "P" word for players anymore (this means you Troupe and Carrington)

Back injuries like Troups are pretty serious...I think he faces a uphill battle.....Carrington is so athletic for his size they had him and Spencer Johnson playing LINEBACKER last year....which was pretty ridiculous. So glad Edwards is gone.

if they dont go with the p word, than edwards, carrington, and heard are the backup dts.

p= troup, gilbert, ross, dotson...

troup is crossed out imo, not because of play, but i dont think he comes back from back issues. if gilbert can be just as good or offer more pass rush than edwards, than they will keep him.

In that video he's wearing number 90. How's that gonna work? We already have 2 guys in the roster that already have or want that number.

Really tho, this guy looks like a beast. I'd live it if he made the team. I'd say that because of his size and strength he would be a DT in the 4-3. However, he looks so fast it almost seems like a mismatch if he was a DE. Think about have 2 290+ lb DEs and 2 350+ lb DTs in the field at the same time. I could see offenses having major troubles trying to deal with all that beef.

In the end I think he males the team because he looks very versitle. Could play DE or DT or even OLB in a pinch if needed so I think he's all but signed at this point.

Gilbert is listed as # 73

I would add Heard to that mix, he played well last season, and I think will be a better fit in the 4/3 system.