today was the 30th 'birthday' of a friend of mine...

he died in a car crash 4 years ago September...he was my next door neighbor...at the time there was an 18 year difference, he had 2 young daughters and a soon to be ex-wife. I woke up the morning he died and was watching the news and saw a quick story on the local richmond news about a traffic fatality and out of the corner of my ear i heard his name and age and my ears suddenly perked up....

I sent him a text, knowing full well i wasn't gonna get a response....i called my ex and told her what i had just heard on the news...she immediately broke down....

she got confirmation from someone at work and called me completely unable to speak...

His profile has been kept active on facebook and i say happy birthday to him every year and on the day he died, i try and also send a note...

it still really 'creeps' me out that i sent a text to him as he was possibly lay dying in his car...his 2 girls and his girlfriend were still trapped in the car and thankfully survived...

my ex wife and i have been reminiscing about Danny for the last half hour via text....

young, good people, shouldn't die young.....

sorry....just needed to tell someone....

he died in a car crash 4 years ago September...he was my next door neighbor...at the time there was an 18 year difference, he had 2 young daughters and a soon to be ex-wife. I woke up the morning he died and was watching the news and saw a quick story on the local richmond news about a traffic fatality and out of the corner of my ear i heard his name and age and my ears suddenly perked up....

I sent him a text, knowing full well i wasn't gonna get a response....i called my ex and told her what i had just heard on the news...she immediately broke down....

she got confirmation from someone at work and called me completely unable to speak...

His profile has been kept active on facebook and i say happy birthday to him every year and on the day he died, i try and also send a note...

it still really 'creeps' me out that i sent a text to him as he was possibly lay dying in his car...his 2 girls and his girlfriend were still trapped in the car and thankfully survived...

my ex wife and i have been reminiscing about Danny for the last half hour via text....

young, good people, shouldn't die young.....

sorry....just needed to tell someone....

Thank you for sharing.

it just sucks...the fact that i texted him and it was probably beeping in the morgue really sticks with me...it was a weekday morning, so it wasn't a drinking situation..he took a bend he'd travelled hundreds of times before and i guess lost control...like i said he was just 26 and a really good guy....probably the closest non-family member to die in my life...and i'm 48...so i guess i should consider myself lucky...it made me feel good to text my ex back and forth about it...we had just split up a couple months prior and were both close to him...we've both moved on but it was an important time in both our lives....

don't want to be a downer, Danny would never have allowed that...just thinking out loud...raising a toast to him after i hit 'add reply' :beer:

Thank you for sharing.

Im sorry for your loss. Right after I finished high school 5 girls in my hometown were killed in a car accident. All their Facebooks are still active and I see their profile pop up occasionaly. Its always a reminder of what happened. I remember my mom waking me up that morning to tell me what happened so I wouldnt see it on the news. That whole day was spent talking to people and trying to figure out what happened. I sill will never forget, a ton of kids were meeting at the local high school that night and I saw my friend Steve and he was crying harder than anyone id ever seen. He grabbed me and gave me thet tightest hug I've ever received, cried on my shoulder and told me he loved me. Things like that stick with you.

Thanks for sharing pooj

Who the hell else is going to? Old people?

Larry Miller (before his unfortunate accident (is there another kind of accident?)) would say, "If you walked out of bed today, had a job to go to, and had someone to come home to that cared about you... I tell ya - game's over, you've won." I agree with every word and from what I've gleaned from your posts, you qualify.

Seriously Tom, what the hell is wrong with you?