Yanks and D-Backs Agree

Thailog80

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...ster&id=1954982

But in 2005, the Yankees would have a superteam, their best regular-season squad since 1998, when they won 114 games. Should the Yankees succeed in signing Beltran, this is what their Opening Day lineup would look like:

SS Derek Jeter: Has a career .315 batting average.

CF Carlos Beltran: Scored a career-best 121 runs in '04.

3B Alex Rodriguez: At the age of 29, has 381 career home runs.

RF Gary Sheffield: Led the Yanks with 121 RBI in '04.

LF Hideki Matsui: Was second on the team with 174 hits last season.

DH Bernie Williams: Had a .360 on-base percentage in '04.

1B Jason Giambi/Tino Martinez: Could be in a battle for playing time in spring training.

C Jorge Posada: Has hit 20 or more homers and driven in 80 or more runs for five straight seasons.

2B Tony Womack: Had a career-best .349 OBP in '04 for the Cardinals.

Thank god that Yankee farm system keeps pumping out stars and proving they have the best management in the league. I hope this Randy Johnson kid proves that he’ll be a good pitcher some day…

That Alex Rodriguez kid who worked his way up the Yankee farm system turned out okay.

There is so much skill involved in putting together a good baseball team its ridiculous. I mean, having to bring these kids up and spot that talent early on while juggling the salary cap the entire time. I don’t know how the Yankees do it!

Thank god that Yankee farm system keeps pumping out stars and proving they have the best management in the league.  I hope this Randy Johnson kid proves that he’ll be a good pitcher some day…

That Alex Rodriguez kid who worked his way up the Yankee farm system turned out okay.

There is so much skill involved in putting together a good baseball team its ridiculous.  I mean, having to bring these kids up and spot that talent early on while juggling the salary cap the entire time.  I don’t know how the Yankees do it!

185745[/snapback]

It's painstaking!

There is so much skill involved in putting together a good baseball team its ridiculous.  I mean, having to bring these kids up and spot that talent early on while juggling the salary cap the entire time.  I don’t know how the Yankees do it!

They used to do it. The yankees were known for their farm system about 10 years ago. It was great. Then they traded all these guys away, and now have no farm system and buy everything they need.

when will this insanity end doh.gif

It will end when the yankees have a 300 million dollar payroll and 50 wins to show for it.

Actually, its close to an end now. Realistically they have someone playing every position making 10mil/year plus. They cant go much higher, without displacing somene already on the roster.

Disclaimer: I am a die-hard yankees fan who does not approve of the direction of the team at the moment. George needs to get his hands off this team, and let cashman handle the personnel moves.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/stor...ster&id=1954982

But in 2005, the Yankees would have a superteam, their best regular-season squad since 1998, when they won 114 games. Should the Yankees succeed in signing Beltran, this is what their Opening Day lineup would look like:

SS Derek Jeter: Has a career .315 batting average.

CF Carlos Beltran: Scored a career-best 121 runs in '04.

3B Alex Rodriguez: At the age of 29, has 381 career home runs.

RF Gary Sheffield: Led the Yanks with 121 RBI in '04.

LF Hideki Matsui: Was second on the team with 174 hits last season.

DH Bernie Williams: Had a .360 on-base percentage in '04.

1B Jason Giambi/Tino Martinez: Could be in a battle for playing time in spring training.

C Jorge Posada: Has hit 20 or more homers and driven in 80 or more runs for five straight seasons.

2B Tony Womack: Had a career-best .349 OBP in '04 for the Cardinals.

185740[/snapback]

And I could still see the "Super Team" losing to the Red Sox next year, especially if Wade Miller turns out to be OK.

The 2002 Angels were a SUPERTEAM. We had Eckstein, dammit!