For Shame

My link

Booker has now eaten more crow than Jed Clampett could shoot in a year, so he’s probably set things right. And in a way, it will be in Obama’s interest to have him speak at the Democratic convention, provided Booker agrees that he’ll really ram it to Romney in every imaginable way. But if I were Axelrod, I’d nonperson the guy. That was just an unbelievable performance. Have you been watching Hardball this week? Chris Matthews has been popping out of his shirt. I have to say I’m with him. Booker disgraced himself. And no, he is not entitled to his own views. He was there to speak for Obama and he is entitled only to Obama’s views, exactly as Grenell was entitled only to Romney’s views. That’s what they signed up for.

The best surrogates manage to regurgitate the party lines while occasionally winking, as if to say, “I know this is bull ****.” That subtle departure from the script can be reassuring, as I found Mike McCurry to be in the way he handled the Lewinsky-related questions back in 1998, like a patient teacher waiting for the third-graders to sit down. But distrust those who make themselves the story. Booker is going to gobble up checks from private-equity men when he runs for higher office—but among elected Democrats, nobody is going to stick their neck out for the guy, nor should they.

:rolleyes: