Redskin & Cowboy appeals denied

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Love it! Not only did they knowingly cheat, their money to buy off the League and reduce their penalty was worthless!Couldn't happen to more deserving schmucks!

Well, you know, except for the league policy seemingly violating the law

So now I have to remember to type asterisks every time I mention the Saints*, Cowboys*, and Redskins*...in addition to the Cheatriettes*??? :huh:

If the list keeps growing, this is gonna get too confusing - I think TBD needs to automate/auto-complete the asterisk process.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

Edited by The Senator

Love it! Not only did they knowingly cheat, their money to buy off the League and reduce their penalty was worthless!Couldn't happen to more deserving schmucks!

Another reason this the the best off season ever!!

Another reason this the the best off season ever!!

Though I'm always a fan of Dallas getting screwed - the nfl having a secret back room collusion salary cap does not make me feel better as a fan of the league and sport. It's fun when it's the other guys team but when it comes back to bite us someday I'll be real upset.

Not that I have a real problem with it but the Cowboys and Redskins kinda got screwed on that deal.

They were totally screwed. Mainly by the other owners. The ratification of the letter nonsense is just that. These owners broke no rule in the CBA that everyone agreed to.

So now I have to remember to type asterisks every time I mention the Saints*, Cowboys*, and Redskins*...in addition to the Cheatriettes*??? :huh:

If the list keeps growing, this is gonna get too confusing - I think TBD needs to automate/auto-complete the asterisk process.

I second the motion that all references to the above four franchises on TSW must contain the requisite cheating asterisk. This is true whether referring to the city or nickname, or any form thereof.

perfect examples of two meddling owners....especially snyder. just spending money is not the key to success. you have to be smart. their reckless spending is really going to hurt them going forward for a year or two.

heck, just look at the top 5 highest payrolls in MLB. as of yesterday the top 4 (NYY,PHI,BOS & LAA) were all in last place and the 5th DET is struggling.

perfect examples of two meddling owners....especially snyder. just spending money is not the key to success. you have to be smart. their reckless spending is really going to hurt them going forward for a year or two.

heck, just look at the top 5 highest payrolls in MLB. as of yesterday the top 4 (NYY,PHI,BOS & LAA) were all in last place and the 5th DET is struggling.

You guys should familiarize yourselves with the case.

There's nothing to "familiarize" with. Both those cheating scuymbag owners purposely gamed the system when they were specifically told not to. They tried to create a competitive advantage over other teams.

28 teams had no problems working within the system. 2 had minor issues. These two were the only ones that deliberately tried to screw everyone else.

What is contradictory in this supposedly salary cap violation saga is that every contract signed by both teams had to be submitted to the league for approval. The individual contracts were all approved by the league office. The commissioner's office had the ability to not approve any contract that it felt violated the "spirit" of the law.

In reality, the arbitrator did not make a decision based on the facts of the case. It based its ruling on the point that the union and league agreed to go along with the decision. The arbitrator felt that that in itself validated the decision. What it comes down to is that the decision was based on the issue of process and not on the facts of this particular case.

I'm not a fan of Snyder and Jones. But in my opinion they lost their case not on the merits; they lost because the owners resented the way they aggressively ran their respective franchises.

There's nothing to "familiarize" with. Both those cheating scuymbag owners purposely gamed the system when they were specifically told not to. They tried to create a competitive advantage over other teams.

28 teams had no problems working within the system. 2 had minor issues. These two were the only ones that deliberately tried to screw everyone else.

First sentence sums you up well. But I'm going to help you out despite your lack of curiosity. Here's one of many such summaries.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/39329/see-no-evil-hear-no-evil-nfl-justice

There were no "rules" regarding what they did in an uncapped year. There was collusion by the owners in a year without a CBA that the Skins and Cowboys decided not to go along with (and which would be clearly be a violation of any CBA if they did go along with the other owners' wishes).

What is contradictory in this supposedly salary cap violation saga is that every contract signed by both teams had to be submitted to the league for approval. The individual contracts were all approved by the league office. The commissioner's office had the ability to not approve any contract that it felt violated the "spirit" of the law.

In reality, the arbitrator did not make a decision based on the facts of the case. It based its ruling on the point that the union and league agreed to go along with the decision. The arbitrator felt that that in itself validated the decision. What it comes down to is that the decision was based on the issue of process and not on the facts of this particular case.

I'm not a fan of Snyder and Jones. But in my opinion they lost their case not on the merits; they lost because the owners resented the way they aggressively ran their respective franchises.

Oh yes you are John!! You are now a documented Snyder and Jones defender!

You are right that the facts of the case were not really heard. The arbitrator decided that the letter from some owners demanding collusion (that a "salary cap" would be in place even though there was no salary cap) from all owners was sufficient to give Goodell the authority to punish these two teams.

Edited by Mr. WEO

The reason I have no sympathy for Snyder and Jones is because they (as do all NFL owners) want to have it both ways. They want to act in concert (i.e., collude) when it suits their purpose, without fear of legal repercussion, but then when they "go rogue" they want to argue for the full protection of the law.

It's a bunch of b.s. Snyder and Jones knew better, and the other 30 members of the old boys' club smacked 'em down.

No tears here.

Great !! This is one of the only instances that money can't buy you everything !! And it does my heart good when ever Jerry Jones gets blasted & can't show off his ego to the rest of the league ..

And i'll just bet it pisses him of to no end that the lowly Bills have had a better off season than his ego tank Cowboys with ther 1. 2 Billion dollar palace on the hill :thumbdown:

Ya his team may be America's team which pretty much goes along with what America is all about now - EGO & a big pompous ASS that runs things , but not in my little piece of America :thumbsup:

It would be a great year if we could beat the Boys & the Pats in the same season . The Pats in the AFC east championship & the Boys in the SB that is a recurring dream i have -- maybe i need therapy !!

GO BILLS !!!!!!!!! :worthy: :worthy:

The reason I have no sympathy for Snyder and Jones is because they (as do all NFL owners) want to have it both ways. They want to act in concert (i.e., collude) when it suits their purpose, without fear of legal repercussion, but then when they "go rogue" they want to argue for the full protection of the law.

It's a bunch of b.s. Snyder and Jones knew better, and the other 30 members of the old boys' club smacked 'em down.

No tears here.

You have it exactly backwards. The other 28 owners were the ones who wanted everyone else to act in concert (collude) ignoring the leagality of such activity. The Skins and the Cowboys simply said they didn't want to. There was no rule preventing them from doing so. The owners letter is not a binding contract or rule. It's enticement to collusion ("hey everyone, we know there is no salary cap this year, but screw that and the players--let's pretend there is one and not spend above it!"). Why should they be penalized for saying "huh?, F that".

You have it exactly backwards. The other 28 owners were the ones who wanted everyone else to act in concert (collude) ignoring the leagality of such activity. The Skins and the Cowboys simply said they didn't want to. There was no rule preventing them from doing so. The owners letter is not a binding contract or rule. It's enticement to collusion ("hey everyone, we know there is no salary cap this year, but screw that and the players--let's pretend there is one and not spend above it!"). Why should they be penalized for saying "huh?, F that".

No, that's my point -- in THIS one particular situation they decided they didn't want to collude and are crying foul.

No, that's my point -- in THIS one particular situation they decided they didn't want to collude and are crying foul.

but thats the nature of the beast when dealing with situations like this. if someone chooses not to break the rules with you, you cant turn around and punish them (and harshly at that) for not being willing to break the rules with you. if anything the other 28 teams should have been tucking their tails and hoping no one outed them on sending out the letter in the first place.

the fact that the nfl has gone this course is highly disappointing, and in my book a huge abuse of power. its beyond ballsy on their part to say "lets nail these guys for not breaking the actual rules with the rest of us"

Edited by NoSaint