Swarm of bees invade Boston University graduation

Fezmid

This wasn't at my graduation ceremony (BU is big - there's a lot of 'em!), but I heard about it from other students yesterday. A swarm of bees attacked a chair at the graduation ceremony for some reason. Apparently harmless, but still very creepy!

http://www.metro.us/boston/local/article/1143654--video-boston-university-becomes-bee-u-before-commencement

why is this a surprise? i think there should be outrage....after all the Bee's heard BU and thought it was their school only to find stupid humans...they were simply waiting to hear their name called to receive their BA or BS and next thing you know they get tossed in a garbage can...i'd be pissed...

This wasn't at my graduation ceremony (BU is big - there's a lot of 'em!), but I heard about it from other students yesterday. A swarm of bees attacked a chair at the graduation ceremony for some reason. Apparently harmless, but still very creepy!

http://www.metro.us/boston/local/article/1143654--video-boston-university-becomes-bee-u-before-commencement

why is this a surprise? i think there should be outrage....after all the Bee's heard BU and thought it was their school only to find stupid humans...they were simply waiting to hear their name called to receive their BA or BS and next thing you know they get tossed in a garbage can...i'd be pissed...

:lol::thumbsup:

• 5 weeks later...

As a beekeeper I can tell you that getting free bees by capturing a swarm is nice - especially when you have all summer to build that hive up so it will survive the winter. If you get a swarm in late August it's pretty much a sure thing that the hive won't have enough time to prepare for winter. If you bought a queen and enough bees to start a hive it would cost you $75, and you can usually only get them early in the spring.

Sadly, this year one of my hives swarmed - I think it grew so fast that the colony decided it had to split in 2 so there was room for everyone. Unfortunately it happened a few days after I got home from the hospital after having knee replecement surgery, so there was absolutely nothing I could do except call my neighbors and ask them not to freak out if they saw a swarm. Unless those bees found a really good natural home they won't make it through the winter - few ferral hives do very well.