Paul Cyr died

bbb

Wow...there is a blast from the past...Paul Cyr.

I am pretty nostalgic when it comes to Bills/Sabres teams from the 70's and 80's...back when I still lived in WNY, and was old enough to decide if I was going to a game or not...my brother and I were talking about those 80's Sabres teams, just toward the end of this current regular NHL season. We were both bemoaning the fact that the current Sabres were so much like those 80's teams, in the sense that there was this "core" group of players (Andreychuk, Sheppard, Folingo, Ruff, and Paul Cyr) that were solid NHL'ers, always competitive in the regular season, but never a serious threat in the playoffs. Cyr was kind of the modern day Ales Kotalik...great shooter, strong...had a few "nice" seasons in Buffalo, but never really could take his game to a higher level. I think he bounced around to a few different teams after Buffalo gave up on him, and never really had any greater impact anywhere else.

Sad to hear his passing...he was only 2 years older than me...kind of strange when your contemporaries start dropping. RIP Paul! :beer:

Wow...there is a blast from the past...Paul Cyr.

I am pretty nostalgic when it comes to Bills/Sabres teams from the 70's and 80's...back when I still lived in WNY, and was old enough to decide if I was going to a game or not...my brother and I were talking about those 80's Sabres teams, just toward the end of this current regular NHL season. We were both bemoaning the fact that the current Sabres were so much like those 80's teams, in the sense that there was this "core" group of players (Andreychuk, Sheppard, Folingo, Ruff, and Paul Cyr) that were solid NHL'ers, always competitive in the regular season, but never a serious threat in the playoffs. Cyr was kind of the modern day Ales Kotalik...great shooter, strong...had a few "nice" seasons in Buffalo, but never really could take his game to a higher level. I think he bounced around to a few different teams after Buffalo gave up on him, and never really had any greater impact anywhere else.

Sad to hear his passing...he was only 2 years older than me...kind of strange when your contemporaries start dropping. RIP Paul! :beer:

Schoop and the Bulldog were doing this call in thing yesterday that I caught bits and pieces of. It was the "Our rankings" - I think it was a play on Q ratings? Anyway, it was ranking who is the coolest in Buffalo sports.

They ranked in Mario, Miller, then Kelly at one point.

Apparently, they had a lot of calls with older names. Perrault, Kelly, etc. They were thinking that it's the money these guys get.

I don't think it's got anything to do with it - I think it's that you're right on the money - this core of Sabres is just like the '80s core. I was going to say, but without a Foligno (who I loved - especially at playoff time) - but now I realized they do have a Foligno - and it seems to be not just in name, but in temperament, too.

It sounds like Cyr had a lot of health issues, starting with that stabbing when he was vacation in the Dominican.

I do remember the girls liking him a lot, so while his time on top might have been brief, I bet it was very good! :beer:

Schoop and the Bulldog were doing this call in thing yesterday that I caught bits and pieces of. It was the "Our rankings" - I think it was a play on Q ratings? Anyway, it was ranking who is the coolest in Buffalo sports.

They ranked in Mario, Miller, then Kelly at one point.

Apparently, they had a lot of calls with older names. Perrault, Kelly, etc. They were thinking that it's the money these guys get.

I don't think it's got anything to do with it - I think it's that you're right on the money - this core of Sabres is just like the '80s core. I was going to say, but without a Foligno (who I loved - especially at playoff time) - but now I realized they do have a Foligno - and it seems to be not just in name, but in temperament, too.

It sounds like Cyr had a lot of health issues, starting with that stabbing when he was vacation in the Dominican.

I do remember the girls liking him a lot, so while his time on top might have been brief, I bet it was very good! :beer:

Actually, I maybe shouldn't have included Mike Foligno in my list...though he was a mainstay on those teams. Other than Perreault, he is my all-time favorite Sabre. It was pretty cool to see Marcus have such a huge impact late in the season...but alas, they still came up short. I always loved Folingo, and Ray Sheppard...Foligno, just cuz he was exciting to watch, and played with lots of fire...and Shep, just because I have always loved the "sniper" type players. For some reason, Andreychuk always drove me crazy...ironically, he had the best career of all of them...still dig those teams... but, you know what I mean...

Same here about Foligno. It's him, Perrault and LaFontaine is some order for me.........If they had a few more Foligno's on that team, they wouldn't have come short all those times. He used to fight Gord Kluzak it seemed every single game in the playoffs. He was as gritty as they come, but could also put the puck in the net.

Same here about Foligno. It's him, Perrault and LaFontaine is some order for me.........If they had a few more Foligno's on that team, they wouldn't have come short all those times. He used to fight Gord Kluzak it seemed every single game in the playoffs. He was as gritty as they come, but could also put the puck in the net.

Must admit, I really kind of lost track of the Sabres for most of the 90's...I moved to NYC and then Texas, and it was hard to follow them...still pre-internet, pre NHL Center Ice days, for me, at least...so I would go see the Sabres if they played the Rangers or Devils, and catch them on ESPN2 a 3 or 4 times a year..and maybe in a game in Buffalo on a trip back...but I didn't really know those teams very well. I pretty much missed the whole LaFontaine/Mogilny era... I would watch them in the playoffs, when they were on ESPN2...I remember staying up all morning to watch Hasek in the Olympics...IIRC, it was the year after they made it to the finals (or was it 2 years?) that Center Ice started...it was awesome!