Only in America

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fairly liberal and believe that social programs(retirement system; true healthcare reform like every other major country in the world; primary, secondary and tertiary education; unemployment and welfare, etc) are a basic right for citizens. I want my tax money to towards keeping our country great. Capitalism is better than communism, but it does have it's faults. The downfalls of capitalism are being seen right now (inequality in wealth distribution, irrational behavior - bubbles, monopolies that cause high prices and low wages, immobility or difficulty in moving from an unprofitable sector to a new one) and in order for this country to maintain it's place in history and to be looked at and admired, we do have to protect ourselves from its pitfalls. That is really just common sense.

What has led you to believe that attending graduate school is a basic human right? Where in the constitution are you guaranteed a certain lifestyle?

I hesitate to use the term entitlement, since a questionable PPP participant has adopted the word as his rallying cry, but your post is emblematic of what I view as an entitlement society. When you blur the lines between certain freedoms or government programs and your basic rights as a citizen, where does it end? I believe most of the social programs you listed are pretty good on margin and should be funded as they are in the best interest of the government and its citizens, but you and I have no right to these programs. Education, to a point, is in the best interest of this nation or any nation as it supports long term economic growth, but it is not your inalienable right. Just like home ownership, while posing many benefits to our society, is not your right either, its a freedom. You are free to go to grad school and you are free to own a home. Recent history suggests that viewing the two as rights does not end well.

Theres a big distinction between programs our government should support and your basic rights as a citizen. We should focus on whether these social programs will deliver the intended benefits to both government and citizens and are worthy of funding. Our rights were clearly laid out by our founding fathers, and the list is pretty good.

I assume you get this in a Free Country. We are not a country that snips people after a certain amount of kids and have decided that all Children need attended too- there is no penalty for this guy, we literally cannot get blood from a stone.

Smash his feet with hammers if he has another kid. Put a pair of thumb screws on him if he missed supports payments. We are very soft on people in this country..... There just is no consequence for clowns like this, just spreading his burden on the good citizens of Tenn.

Why not a mandate to sterilize anyone who can't pay for their children? Come on, it's affecting "interstate commerce," after all.

What if the day after you Sterilize him, he wins the Lotto and now can suport all 30 of their kids and he wants 15 more?

See you in Court for damages! LOL

Why not a mandate to sterilize anyone who can't pay for their children? Come on, it's affecting "interstate commerce," after all.

But it's not his fault. It wouldn't even be necessary if birth control was available free to all women in the country. This guy's just collateral damage in the Republican's War on Women.

What if the day after you Sterilize him, he wins the Lotto and now can suport all 30 of their kids and he wants 15 more?

He can pay to have it reversed. Or have his sperm harvested. :nana:

But it's not his fault. It wouldn't even be necessary if birth control was available free to all women in the country. This guy's just collateral damage in the Republican's War on Women.

Now it's a War on Men.

What has led you to believe that attending graduate school is a basic human right? Where in the constitution are you guaranteed a certain lifestyle?

I hesitate to use the term entitlement, since a questionable PPP participant has adopted the word as his rallying cry, but your post is emblematic of what I view as an entitlement society. When you blur the lines between certain freedoms or government programs and your basic rights as a citizen, where does it end? I believe most of the social programs you listed are pretty good on margin and should be funded as they are in the best interest of the government and its citizens, but you and I have no right to these programs. Education, to a point, is in the best interest of this nation or any nation as it supports long term economic growth, but it is not your inalienable right. Just like home ownership, while posing many benefits to our society, is not your right either, its a freedom. You are free to go to grad school and you are free to own a home. Recent history suggests that viewing the two as rights does not end well.

Theres a big distinction between programs our government should support and your basic rights as a citizen. We should focus on whether these social programs will deliver the intended benefits to both government and citizens and are worthy of funding. Our rights were clearly laid out by our founding fathers, and the list is pretty good.

most of the philosophers and founding fathers and many contemporary political intellecutals believe its a duty to train a society up to its needed level to compete. thomas friedman has made this point along with many people from 200 years ago. if not, the political democracy suffers becoming impotent because people are not properly educated to understand issues, and the 2nd point is that a country loses its competitive edge because people are not educated/trained to keep up with technology and new jobs etc...

education is incredibly important in having a vibrant representative democracy. otherwise you just have a country with people from walmart...ugh...

its a very wise investment and pays off big.

most of the philosophers and founding fathers and many contemporary political intellecutals believe its a duty to train a society up to its needed level to compete.

For example: many of the Confederates, who wanted and fought for emancipation predicated on a literate black population, against the federal policy of promoting a mass of illiterate, unskilled ex-slaves that couldn't compete with the educated labor surplus from the Northern states.

You are so full of ****. :lol:

For example: many of the Confederates, who wanted and fought for emancipation predicated on a literate black population, against the federal policy of promoting a mass of illiterate, unskilled ex-slaves that couldn't compete with the educated labor surplus from the Northern states.

You are so full of ****. :lol:

So you just proved my pt... im arguing for education, not against it... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

:blink:

So you just proved my pt... im arguing for education, not against it... :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

As Jefferson said "an educated Citizenry Is a vital requisite for our survival as a free people." That is of course if you aren't counting his slaves.

So you support the Confederate position in the Civil War, and disagree with the Emancipation proclamation...?

As Jefferson said "an educated Citizenry Is a vital requisite for our survival as a free people." That is of course if you aren't counting his slaves.

Sure, its important, but its not your inalienable right to receive tertiary education. You are free to do so, and even encouraged through tax incentives and corporate policies which promote higher education, but you are by no means entitled to a graduate degree.

most of the philosophers and founding fathers and many contemporary political intellecutals believe its a duty to train a society up to its needed level to compete. thomas friedman has made this point along with many people from 200 years ago. if not, the political democracy suffers becoming impotent because people are not properly educated to understand issues, and the 2nd point is that a country loses its competitive edge because people are not educated/trained to keep up with technology and new jobs etc...

education is incredibly important in having a vibrant representative democracy. otherwise you just have a country with people from walmart...ugh...

its a very wise investment and pays off big.

This^