Romney airing his first general elections ad

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/articles/2012/05/18/romney_releases_first_general_election_tv_ad/

"Day One: President Romney immediately approves the Keystone pipeline, creating thousands of jobs that Obama blocked," the announcer declares, referring to a pipeline Obama has delayed. Republicans insist his decision shows Obama's hostility toward the energy industry.

"President Romney introduces tax cuts and reforms that reward job creators, not punish them," the announcer says, repeating a familiar Republican theme.

Then, in an effort to ease conservative skepticism, the announcer says: "President Romney issues order to begin replacing Obamacare with common-sense health care reform."

1. Lay pipe (even if he has to do it with his bare hands)

2. Cut taxes for rich

3. Begin to address Obamacare with ... basically just a question mark ... way to ease the concerns there Mitt

...he's also getting up on stage saying he will heal the political divide in this country...we've heard that before Mitt...I wouldn't go that way if I were....nobody in America wants to hear that this time around regardless of what anybody did in the past...

I'm not political expert but I really don't see how the Romney campaign is going to actually define him with any actual punch of it's own. He's still just "not Obama" and I really fail to see how he'll ever be anything different at this point. I just don't understand what will happen to make him anything more than the weak candidate he's always been....

It's undeniable Obama took over in a time of absolute FUBAR. Romney needs to come out and say Obama did "X Y and Z" in response to that, and that he would have done "A B and C" which would have had us in a better spot. Then again he's dodging what he has said in the past...b/c it doesn't look that good. He can't dodge it though. THAT IS WHAT UNDECIDEDS WANT TO HEAR.

Mitt is going down in flames IMO he's going to botch this terribly. Obama will (imo) have more money, he's a vastly superior politician, and on top of that Mitt is under-performing (even relative to his own limited capabilities as a politician).

Mitt could be the weakest candidate since Dukakis and that's saying something.

Flame away PPP, let's have some fun.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.boston.com/news/politics/articles/2012/05/18/romney_releases_first_general_election_tv_ad/

"Day One: President Romney immediately approves the Keystone pipeline, creating thousands of jobs that Obama blocked," the announcer declares, referring to a pipeline Obama has delayed. Republicans insist his decision shows Obama's hostility toward the energy industry.

"President Romney introduces tax cuts and reforms that reward job creators, not punish them," the announcer says, repeating a familiar Republican theme.

Then, in an effort to ease conservative skepticism, the announcer says: "President Romney issues order to begin replacing Obamacare with common-sense health care reform."

2. Cut taxes for rich

3. Begin to address Obamacare with ... basically just a question mark ... way to ease the concerns there Mitt

...he's also getting up on stage saying he will heal the political divide in this country...we've heard that before Mitt...I wouldn't go that way if I were....nobody in America wants to hear that this time around regardless of what anybody did in the past...

I'm not political expert but I really don't see how the Romney campaign is going to actually define him with any actual punch of it's own. He's still just "not Obama" and I really fail to see how he'll ever be anything different at this point. I just don't understand what will happen to make him anything more than the weak candidate he's always been....

It's undeniable Obama took over in a time of absolute FUBAR. Romney needs to come out and say Obama did "X Y and Z" in response to that, and that he would have done "A B and C" which would have had us in a better spot. Then again he's dodging what he has said in the past...b/c it doesn't look that good. He can't dodge it though. THAT IS WHAT UNDECIDEDS WANT TO HEAR.

Mitt is going down in flames IMO he's going to botch this terribly. Obama will (imo) have more money, he's a vastly superior politician, and on top of that Mitt is under-performing (even relative to his own limited capabilities as a politician).

worked for Obama. His campaign was "I'm not Bush"...

Actually its a very good ad. It highlights Obamas weakness on Keystone and his deeply unpopular signature piece of legislation and paints a simple, stark contrast in what Romney would do immediately.

It marks high and will poll test well.

If Obama had a general election ad, it would look just like Romneys. (Weak joke, but couldn't resist.)

Where's Romney airing this campaign ad? Nationwide, or only in certain states?

Almost all ads will be in the battle ground states.

Edited by Magox

In all seriousness, it is fairly innoculous and a pretty good start, since it doesn't really leave any wide open doors for Axlerod to exploit. Other than, you know, "he's so arrogant he is already planning for his first day on the job" angle...

If Obama had a general election ad, it would look just like Romneys. (Weak joke, but couldn't resist.)

Where's Romney airing this campaign ad? Nationwide, or only in certain states?

looks like battle states except Florida (where he'll probably just go for blood)

Data provided to The Associated Press from TV stations and media buyers shows Romney is spending $1.3 million to air the ad in Iowa, North Carolina, Virginia and Ohio, all critical battleground states.

Actually its a very good ad. It highlights Obamas weakness on Keystone and his deeply unpopular signature piece of legislation and paints a simple, stark contrast in what Romney would do immediately.

Well it doesn't say anything about what he will do w/ the ACA. It talks about the pipeline...that's it. That's what he came with. (and of course tax cuts for the wealthy)

looks like battle states except Florida (where he'll probably just go for blood)

Data provided to The Associated Press from TV stations and media buyers shows Romney is spending $1.3 million to air the ad in Iowa, North Carolina, Virginia and Ohio, all critical battleground states.

Well it doesn't say anything about what he will do w/ the ACA. It talks about the pipeline...that's it. That's what he came with. (and of course tax cuts for the wealthy)

It's a television ad, it's not suppose to go into detail :lol:

Simplicity is best, it's positive while at the same time hitting Obama on his weakness. It's a good ad, even got high marks On MSNBC Morning Joe's panel this morning.

Its already gotten good reviews, and I've been keeping up with this long enough to recognize whatworks and what doesn't, and this one clearly does.

No need to "flame away" you stated your opinion (in several threads ) about how you think that Gov. Romney's a weak candidate.

Certainly, his current standing against a "sitting" president, shows that he is anything but weak, but, hey, you can hope that repetition might convince yourself.

As for the actual commercial, it was fine. It sticks with his concentration on the (again) sliding economy, which is the strongest way to fight the current administrations attacks.

Why do I get the feeling that if his commercial was more Anti-Obama, then Romney would be criticized for that, but with it being a Pro economic Growth ad, it still criticized as "weak"

One would get the idea that no matter what ad he ran it wouldn't be right in some people's eyes.

As for the "Anyone But Obama" there is a fair amount of Dems, who have been saying that in the primaries..............watch Arkansas next week......lol

It's a television ad, it's not suppose to go into detail :lol:

Simplicity is best, it's positive while at the same time hitting Obama on his weakness. It's a good ad, even got high marks On MSNBC Morning Joe's panel this morning.

Its already gotten good reviews, and I've been keeping up with this long enough to recognize whatworks and what doesn't, and this one clearly does.

It works b/c it says almost nothing?

It marks high and will poll test well.

Almost all ads will be in the battle ground states.

When I first heard of the ad, I was skeptical and concerned. Prior to the 2008 campaign, I'd never paid that close attention because it was always my guy against their guy, regardless of who was running.

Then the GOP rolled out McCain, and the more I listened to him, the more I realized I needed to start paying closer attention. This was the moment I started hearing the Obama "On my first day in office" proclamations before he actually got the job. Then he gets the job and realizes that simply opening his yap, flashing a smile, and throwing red meat to the progressive masses is not enough to actually make things happen that fast. Ultimately it came to pass that he really isn't capable of doing anything (cut the deficit in half, anyone???), let alone what he promised to do on "day one."

So I watched the Romney ad, and while the red meat for conservatives is there, it was low-hanging fruit and better qualified than Obama's. For instance, he didn't say "I'll cut taxes," but rather he will "introduce" tax cuts and reform. Romney clearly learned from Obama's gaffes.

Edited by LABillzFan

Seems weak to me ("over-generalized" is probably the term I'd use), but it probably plays better there.

But it says he'll use common sense. That's more than just a question mark...it's common sense, goddamnit!

So I watched the Romney ad, and while the red meat for conservatives is there, it was low-hanging fruit and better qualified than Obama's. For instance, he didn't say "I'll cut taxes," but rather he will "introduce" tax cuts and reform. Romney clearly learned from Obama's gaffes.

What actual red meat for common republican is in this ad? Pipeline and high-income tax breaks?

I just don't see how you guys think this ad has anything substantive and even if your take is that it shouldn't ... well I don't get how it's a good ad in anybody's eyes. If you want to go after Obama's policies...GO AFTER THEM. What the hell is it you would have done Mitt? What are you going to do now. Pipeline and tax cuts...that's what we get.

2. Cut taxes for rich

Do you expect that if you repeat this often enough you'll get someone other than yourself to believe it?

The polls will be close until 2-3 weeks before the election and then they will break heavily for 1 of the 2 and we'll end up with an electoral map like either '88 or '96. If the economy doesn't improve significantly, things will break Mitt's way; if it does improve significantly, it'll be 4 more years.

Right now, if I had to guess, I'd expect that it'll break Romney's way. The President is acting far less presidential than any other sitting incumbant I can recall in my lifetime. Whether that's due to him not having the temperament to be graceful or due to him being nervous about his prospects in November, it doesn't bode well for him. What does bode well for him is that he has ~6 more months to come up with a narrative that does appear presidential and if the electorate sees him 'getting better' the 1st derivative of how his performance is tracking will likely be given greater weight than the actual performance.

What actual red meat for common republican is in this ad? Pipeline and high-income tax breaks?

I just don't see how you guys think this ad has anything substantive and even if your take is that it shouldn't ... well I don't get how it's a good ad in anybody's eyes. If you want to go after Obama's policies...GO AFTER THEM. What the hell is it you would have done Mitt? What are you going to do now. Pipeline and tax cuts...that's what we get.

That's how ads work best, with generalities, not specifics. You don't like it, because he isn't the one you are supporting and thats natural. However, it will work well with independents and thats what matters.

The ad doesnt work for you because you've already made up your mind on who you want to vote for. Maybe, just maybe it may sway a voter who is still undecided. Ya think?

Haha, no that's my point. I don't think that.

Pipeline (a no-brainer even the Democrats agree with), "tax cuts and reforms for job creators," and dismantling of Obamacare.

Look. We get it. You're a progressive and this makes no sense to you. It's just an ad that lets Romney play on offense instead of chasing the embarrassing Bain narrative the Obama camp is counting on. We look forward to the Obama ads talking about what he'll do if he's re-elected and has more "flexibility."

It works b/c it says almost nothing?

You've obviously never been even close to advertising...

"Sell the sizzle, not the steak." You're expecting substance where most of the electorate (irrespective of leanings) want style?