Oil is Good, Oil is our Friend

I was working a career fair this week and across the room was a booth that said Minot. I just thought they were come company I had never heard of. During lunch I heard someone talking to them and found out they were from Minot North Dakota and were here in CA looking for workers because they have a shortage. They have 3% unemployment and that's because of the oil industry boom up there. Well what do you know.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was working a career fair this week and across the room was a booth that said Minot. I just thought they were come company I had never heard of. During lunch I heard someone talking to them and found out they were from Minot North Dakota and were here in CA looking for workers because they have a shortage. They have 3% unemployment and that's because of the oil industry boom up there. Well what do you know.

they may be looking for workers because workers are living out of trailers in camps. many of the locals don't want the drunken, malodorous workers in camps in their towns and the rest gouge them with inflated rents, 3-4x normal.

they may be looking for workers because workers are living out of trailers in camps. many of the locals don't want the drunken, malodorous workers in camps in their towns and the rest gouge them with inflated rents, 3-4x normal.

hahaah! Good one!

Good one. Your typical nonsensical reply.

I keep hearing that N Dakota is actually looking to import women.

Tons of horny roughnecks up there now and nothing to do.

can't provide a link from work but google "man camps north dakota". plenty of stories and plenty of controversy.

I don't know Bird, I am naturally skeptical of just about everything I hear from people, espeically since I know most people either have an agenda, are stupid or both. Meaning, since I don't live there and have not experienced it, I have to conceed that any stories out of that area are one sided...

There is a reason that labor and work camps in the frontier era had lots of prostitution. Keeps the locals occupied...

They've got 3% unemployment, and they're importing labor from other states, the workers are living in temporary housing, and rental rates are skyrocketing.

That's not called "unable to hire because of poor living conditions". That's called a housing shortage, you !@#$ing dolt.

Good one. Your typical nonsensical reply.

Whenever there is prosperity from some endeavor not funded by the government(like there ever is)your garden variety liberal is going to find a negative. Perceived anyway. Now if this were a government oil company started by our imperial leader Obama it would be a ground breaking initiative.

Sounds like any OWS get together.

Please send the job applications to your friends at OWS and let them know they're hiring in North Dakota.

What a great opportunity for the 99%ers - a paying job in nature's heaven on earth - the great American west.

They've got 3% unemployment, and they're importing labor from other states, the workers are living in temporary housing, and rental rates are skyrocketing.

That's not called "unable to hire because of poor living conditions". That's called a housing shortage, you !@#$ing dolt.

heard an interview with a local mayor. several areas have put moratoriums on "man camps". rent for a single room in a house is up to $2k/month and many workers are living in poorly insulated trailers in n dakota where temps reach neg double digits in the winter. not even mentioning the environmental and health concerns to the l0ocal population. but yeah, i can see why you'd consider it a great economic success. unfettered greed working it's magic again. i'll resist calling you a schoolyard name.

heard an interview with a local mayor. several areas have put moratoriums on "man camps". rent for a single room in a house is up to $2k/month and many workers are living in poorly insulated trailers in n dakota where temps reach neg double digits in the winter. not even mentioning the environmental and health concerns to the l0ocal population. but yeah, i can see why you'd consider it a great economic success. unfettered greed working it's magic again. i'll resist calling you a schoolyard name.

And it's still called a housing shortage. Only you - and DiN - would consider an economic boom and interpret it as exploiting labor. Because...why? Because no one had the foresight to build the housing BEFORE the oil was discovered?

How on earth did you get this retarded? Some sort of accident?

That's called a housing shortage /quote]

This^^^

I was reading automotive mag last month and thats what they were saying. The dealers were saying they couldnt keep enough trucks on their lots because all these new workers coming into the state.

It also said that they are having a housing shortage and that alot of the workers were living in trailers supplied by the oil companys.

And it's still called a housing shortage. Only you - and DiN - would consider an economic boom and interpret it as exploiting labor. Because...why? Because no one had the foresight to build the housing BEFORE the oil was discovered?

How on earth did you get this retarded? Some sort of accident?

is it unreasonable to wait until safe working and living conditions are present before proceeding with large scale production? nevermind, already know your answer and it's incorrect. ya think the locals might want to know what they're being exposed to as far as carcinogens or toxins in waste water from the mines. my understanding is that it's poorly studied and if the industry knows, they're not telling.

A lot of these camps are going up in Montana also. Which is a place that a lot of the locals end up living in trailers as well because they can't afford to own land. Land values shot up in the '90's when a lot of out of staters bought up land at exorbitant rates because they could and priced a lot of the locals out of the market.

It also probably makes more sense to set up trailers for a large percentage of the workers to live in rather than build houses as the people need the accomodations now rather than a few months from now (or would you prefer to house the workers in tents) and a lot of the jobs (though clearly not all) are directed towards setting up the infrastructure to extract the oil; once that is set you don't need as many workers remaining in the field. No point in building only permanent housing when the demand will drop significantly in the future. There will be continuing jobs in the oil fields in the future, and at least in areas that land prices remain reasonable it's reasonable to expect to see permanent dwellings going up eventually. Where land is too expensive, you'll see much nicer trailers setting up.

I don't see where living in a trailer is that big of a point.

And these workers are chained to their beds at night, whipped on a regular basis, forced to work in the fields and call their bosses massa.

Edited by Chef Jim

So you complain about a state that has a hiring boom, with above average wages with 3% unemployment, but mum on a state that has a 16 Billion dollar shortfall, sky high taxes, polled as he worst place to do business in the US, crappy educational system, 10% unemployment and one of the most corrupt public sector unions in his country?

:huh:

Edited by Magox

So you complain about a state that has a hiring boom, with above average wages with 3% unemployment, but mum on a state that has a 16 Billion dollar shortfall, sky high taxes, polled as he worst place to do business in the US, crappy educational system, 10% unemployment and one of the most corrupt public sector unions in his country?

:huh:

didn't criticize the state...don't find gouging particularly appealing but it's the american way, right? the energy companies are the ones who i see as responsible for ensuring the availability of decent housing for their workers before delving into large scale operations and recruiting more workers at job fairs. i don't blame the towns for not wanting to fund infrastructure for potentially a short term boom...it's happened before. don't blame them for not wanting man camps. i wouldn't want them in my neighborhood either.

really, i find the question of wastewater from fracking much more interesting. that and the potential for earthquakes..

Edited by birdog1960

didn't criticize the state...don't find gouging particularly appealing but it's the american way, right? the energy companies are the ones who i see as responsible for ensuring the availability of decent housing for their workers before delving into large scale operations and recruiting more workers at job fairs.

really, i find the question of wastewater from fracking much more interesting. that and the potential for earthquakes..

Hey dipshit, it wasn't the oil companies that were at the job fair it was the city of Minot. You know.........the government.