Camping question re: electrical service

Going tent camping over Memorial Day weekend. All that was left was an RV site that has 50 Amp electrical service. Question(s):

1. Can I run an extension cord from the hookup and use a power strip to plug in electrical devices in the tent?
  2. If so, would I need any kind of adapter to do this?
  3. Anything else I should concern myself with?

There may be a holiday inn nearby that may serve all your camping electrical needs.

Believe me - the wife checked that first.

There's a reason I don't know the answer to these questions - I've never used electricity while camping before...

Then why start now? Just because you can doesn't mean you have to.

In case it's needed for the "girls' tent". If the options are:

1) live with cold bitchy wife for 3 days

2) have cold bitchy wife get an expensive hotel room at the last minute

3) plug in a small heater and have everyone happy

I'll take option 3 as long as I'm comfortable there will be no electrocutions or fires

In case it's needed for the "girls' tent". If the options are:

1) live with cold bitchy wife for 3 days

2) have cold bitchy wife get an expensive hotel room at the last minute

3) plug in a small heater and have everyone happy

I'll take option 3 as long as I'm comfortable there will be no electrocutions or fires

Is there a battery operated device instead of a plug in that may be used to make her less bitchy? Surely you could offer that as a way to appease her on the trip. Just bring lots of batteries.

Edit, Oh didn't realize it was a heater....

Edited by Guffalo

Is there a battery operated device instead of a plug in that may be used to make her less bitchy? Surely you could offer that as a way to appease her on the trip. Just bring lots of batteries.

Edit, Oh didn't realize it was a heater....

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Questions. Any rain in the forecast?

Is the site near water?

Yes you can. Be conservative! I have

only used the electric for a fan and to charge

the cell phones during the night. No TV

but some short doses of radio. Nothing else!

Usually the 50 amp services have a regular 110 plug beneath it. But just in case, go to Walmart and get a 50 amp plugin and a plug head converter to a 110 3 prong style. Or call the campground and ask if the RV site has 110 plugs and save the whole hassle with converters.

Ive electrical camped before but to charge a cell phone never for a space heater. My concern with that would setting the tent on fire. Did you try a blanket or one of those sleeping bags that work 40 below?

That's my concern too.

I tent camp with electricity quite frequently. Very very hot in the summer with three daughters, my girlfriend, my son and whoever he brings along. I air condition three tents and pack the beer fridge.

Before I got a steady, an airconditioned tent was the best fish bait on the lake ;-) and having three days worth of food stay dry and cool is much better than using an ice chest. I also use electricity to blow up everyone's sleeping mattresses, and to jumpstart my truck since I usually run the battery down playing music.

Tent camping doesn't mean you have to rough it.

Ive never needed a heater, but if you're safe with it I'm sure you'll be fine. Maybe consider an electric blanket instead. We did that in the tree house a few years back.

Have fun!

Edited by Stranger in a Strange Land

I tent camp with electricity quite frequently. Very very hot in the summer with three daughters, my girlfriend, my son and whoever he brings along. I air condition three tents and pack the beer fridge.

Before I got a steady, an airconditioned tent was the best fish bait on the lake ;-) and having three days worth of food stay dry and cool is much better than using an ice chest. I also use electricity to blow up everyone's sleeping mattresses, and to jumpstart my truck since I usually run the battery down playing music.

Tent camping doesn't mean you have to rough it.

But then...Why even bother? Basically, you're getting away from the internet.

But then...Why even bother? Basically, you're getting away from the internet.

Swimming. Canoeing/boating/water skiing. Fishing. Bonding with family and friends around the Campfire. Tossing the Frisbee/pigskin. Meeting people. Making new friends. Getting away from the city. Enjoying nature. Drinkin beer. There's a million reasons. Sleeping comfortably and eating well makes it much easier for me to enjoy all of those things.

Did I mention how #$%&*%@ hot it is here in the summer? I'd spend a fortune on ice and no one would even go if they had to sweat through the night.

Edited by Stranger in a Strange Land

Going tent camping over Memorial Day weekend. All that was left was an RV site that has 50 Amp electrical service. Question(s):

1. Can I run an extension cord from the hookup and use a power strip to plug in electrical devices in the tent?
  2. If so, would I need any kind of adapter to do this?
  3. Anything else I should concern myself with?

I've never been to a camp site (and we camped all the time growing up, tent/pop-up/RV, and still do, most of the time with electricity), that DIDN'T have your standard 110 outlet below the larger outlets. When they list the big outlets, they are listing the max load for the plug. There'll be al electric box with a couple of big RV hookups and a couple of 110 outlets. We always run the extension cord and plug things in like the electric griddle, radio, etc. Never have run the cord into the tent because there's never any reason to, but i don't see what the problem would be. It's like running a cord from an outlet in your house.

Of course you could just call the campsite and ask about the outlet, but you probably already did that. :)

Edited by Ramius

I am laughing at this, sorry Jay. She might get cold? Hell, when I was 12 in the BSA I had to go out in freaking January in Toledo with just my sleeping bag, a large plastic tarp, and backpack for a night. Freakin' girls.

On a serious note; kerosene heaters are easier to deal with and can come in handy after camping for other uses, there is also propane heaters that are small. Like pointed out, though, you're going to burn that tent down in 5 seconds. If you had any type of radiant heating device you'd be ok...

Seen these before, seem to do ok but not against cazy cold

We used to bake potatoes at night and then put them in our bags to warm them up, also. Not the easiest or most sensible thing to do, but it helps a little. Double layer thermals are now better then ever as well. Remember, wearing more hten one layer of thermals does assist the first pair in warmth. Get her UA cold gear long sleeve and then a double thermal - she'll be fine.