Time to start liking Don Banks (at least til his next article)

We can quibble over the fact that they're actually the ONLY team in NY but still...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/05/15/strong.hunches/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a1

News flash: The Bills are closer to dethroning the mighty Patriots in the AFC East than the big, brash Jets. Rex Ryan might love his team, or at least profess to, but it says right here they're not even the second-best team in the state of New York. That would be the long-downtrodden Bills, who can rightfully lay claim to having the best offseason in the league. After 12 playoff-less seasons, the longest active drought in the NFL, there's hope again in Buffalo. And this time, it's there for good reason.

While the second-place Jets (8-8 in 2011) were busy creating a potential team-splitting quarterback controversy for themselves with the Tim Tebow trade, not to mention the dubious decision to draft a 4-3 defensive end to play in their 3-4 front (Quinton Coples), the fourth-place Bills (6-10) were adding and retaining quality pieces to the puzzle at every turn. Be it their re-signing of key veterans Stevie Johnson, Fred Jackson or Scott Chandler, their drafting of talents such as Stephon Gilmore, Cordy Glenn and T.J. Graham, or their headline acquisitions of Mario Williams, Mark Anderson and Vince Young in free agency, the Bills have made moves to get better. Maybe a lot better.

The Jets? They've made a messy locker room situation that much messier. Life under Ryan in New York will never be friction-free, but pouring gas on the fire and expecting things to settle down is a curious approach to say the least.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'll happily take the praise, at the expense of the hated Jets no less, it's interesting how he spins the Tebow aquisition as potentially "team splitting," but doesn't say the same about the Vince Young signing.

I'm delighted that the Bills didn't stand pat with a sub-par 2nd string QB, but if Fitz falters early, that Bills locker room will split like the seams on a fat man's pants as players take sides in the great "Fitz or Vince" debate of 2012.

While I'll happily take the praise, at the expense of the hated Jets no less, it's interesting how he spins the Tebow aquisition as potentially "team splitting," but doesn't say the same about the Vince Young signing.

I'm delighted that the Bills didn't stand pat with a sub-par 2nd string QB, but if Fitz falters early, that Bills locker room will split like the seams on a fat man's pants as players take sides in the great "Fitz or Vince" debate of 2012.

I think you may be overrating what a guy with a ONE year contract in COMPETITION to try and get a BACKUP job after being discarded by TWO other teams will do to the Bills.

Tebow was a starting QB with a massive fan following, who is in no way of losing his job. He's also backing up a QB that has been earning more and more criticism for his poor play in a highly critical and media unfriendly place.

I hate that Don has given the Jets bulletin board material, because I think Fat Rex feeds off crap like that, but at least it's only May.

Even as a national media source, between The Daily News, the Post, Newsday, etc. I think it hardly even registers.

Those NYC teams exist in a media maelstrom every day of the year.

The Jets are gonna be a very interesting team to watch this year. It's a pivotal year in Ryan's tenure for sure.

We can quibble over the fact that they're actually the ONLY team in NY but still...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/05/15/strong.hunches/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a1

The pessimist would say that this isn't an effort to praise the Bills, but an effort to increase attention from the NYC people.

Step 1) Write a controversial statement blasting a large market team by telling them a small market team is better

Step 2) Number of viewers and hits to your site increase from outrage of large fanbase

Step 3) Profit

I don't think Vince will create a controversy. My buddy, a Giants Fan, keeps telling me that VY will be our starting by October and I just think he's crazy. Vince is our backup. He will not challenge for the starting spot, and will be a great relief option if Fitz gets hurt, but he will not create the Fitz or Vince debate.

By all accounts Tim Tebow is a great locker room guy, and I think he will do whatever he can to downplay a controversy. On the other hand, he has had one year of playing time under his belt and should improve markedly with good coaching. Truth is, he may end up being a better qb than Sanchez.

Somehow I see the Vince Young thing as all good. If Fitz does stink up the joint and the Bills are losing as a result, I would rather have a viable alternative to turn to and see if he can turn it around. It is better than the alternative of watching the team continue to swirl down the drain.

Only the old timer's will remember this- But during Buffalo's first championship season, there was a huge Jack Kemp/Daryl Lamonica controversy. Lamonica came in several games that year in relief of Kemp and won some games. In fact Kemp was benched for one game and the fans were clamoring for Lamonica. Despite the controversy, Lou Saban reinserted Kemp as the starting qb and the rest is history.

1337187712[/url]' post='2468077']

Only the old timer's will remember this- But during Buffalo's first championship season, there was a huge Jack Kemp/Daryl Lamonica controversy. Lamonica came in several games that year in relief of Kemp and won some games. In fact Kemp was benched for one game and the fans were clamoring for Lamonica. Despite the controversy, Lou Saban reinserted Kemp as the starting qb and the rest is history.

yeah, but Lou was gone after that season, Daryl stuck around for a couple more. After The Mad Bomber left, he made a history of major beat downs every time he faced the Bills. At least we got Flores and Powell! .......