Gettin a stronger arm is possible

I don't think Fitzpatrick's biggest problem is arm strength.

It's accuracy - particulary on the deep ball.

He goes through spurts where he zips balls through the tiniest windows and makes some of the prettiest passes you've ever seen. Look at the Cincinnati game in 2010, which might have been his most impressive performance. Then he goes through spurts where his accuracy and decision making are pathetic.

+ 1

Not concerned about arm strength, but accuracy is an issue for his career.

And INTs are big too, having led the league last year. If he were throwing 30 TDs and 15 picks it would be one thing, but

throwing 24 TDs and 23 picks is never going to get it done.

This year should do it. This is the year Fitz finally gets exposed for the 7th round SCRUB that he is. It's a full schedule of OTA's and an unabreviated training camp. He's healthy, and has a full compliment of recievers and RB's signed.

In his eight years in the NFL, Fitz has had notable chances to take the reigns of other offenses. -he's never been able to deliver. People sit on this board and throw out stats as if the game were played on paper. I'm far more concerned with the end result than the process.

I'm sick of homers chiming-in with the same tired old "Fitz is very smart" argument. Stephen Hawking is also very smart, and I don't see him taking any reps with the first team offense.

But oh. -"He's the team leader" -Really? Was that our team leader sitting on the sideline with his head in his hands in last season's Giants game? Hm. -Must've been having a Vince Young moment. And other than when we're up a few touchdowns, when do you ever see Fitz Shouting, motivating, or gettting in anyone's face? -I get it, -It's not his way. But that is exactly what this team needs.

My point is simple, After eight years, there's no evidence that Fitz can get stronger, or more accurate anytime soon. And with a resume that includes such notable underacheivers as Tony Romo, and Chad Pennington, there's no evidence that Dave Lee can get him there.

Regardless of how you feel about Young, Chan Gailey is wrong for not opening up the starting QB competition to include him. If Fitz is so dedicated to improving, Why not let him demonstrate that by winning the starting job first and foremost.

It's easy: Put Fitzpatrick in a fight. See what he does. Build on whatever the outcome is.

The notion that our offense should just "pick up" where it left off last season is ludicrous.

Edited by #34fan

Don't worry. We dont.

Dude, it is really not OK to edit someone's quote so as to seriously distort their meaning. The original context was "others have said...so don't expect much now".

That isn't meaningful discussion, it's a crusade on your part to try to belittle someone else. That really shouldn't be what this board is about.

We all know by now that you don't like Fitz as the Bills QB, or an NFL QB. At this point, this is also not meaningful discussion, it's a crusade.

See ya.

Dude, it is really not OK to edit someone's quote so as to seriously distort their meaning. The original context was "others have said...so don't expect much now".

That isn't meaningful discussion, it's a crusade on your part to try to belittle someone else. That really shouldn't be what this board is about.

We all know by now that you don't like Fitz as the Bills QB, or an NFL QB. At this point, this is also not meaningful discussion, it's a crusade.

See ya.

Hopeful, You were the first to butcher my quote. A quick glance up the thread will verify that. If it's not ok, then why would you start doing it?

And for the record, this thread is about the possibility of Fitz getting a stronger arm. -Something which I fundamentally don't believe can happen. -You would have others think, that I've got something personal against Fitzpatrick, or that I hate the guy. -I don't.

I simply believe that Fitz is as good as he is ever going to get. He's FINE for a backup, but it's time to find our franchise starter to take us to the playoffs.

Colts got Luck, Saint's have Brees,(for the most part) Ravens got Flacco, Falcons got Ryan, Panthers got Newton, Giants have Eli, Pats have Brady, Broncos grabbed Peyton. Even the DOLPHINS made a move on a franchise QB. -THE DOLPHINS!!! -All's I'm sayin' is -Where the heck is our guy?! Look at of all those QB's and then think about what we've got.

The fact that I feel the need to chime in when people suggest we can turn a sow's ear QB into a silk purse is hardly crusading.

Oh and FYI, I don't enjoy belittling ANYONE. -YOU started it. We don't see eye to eye on the QB situation. -I'm content to just leave it at that.

This year should do it. This is the year Fitz finally gets exposed for the 7th round SCRUB that he is. It's a full schedule of OTA's and an unabreviated training camp. He's healthy, and has a full compliment of recievers and RB's signed.

In his eight years in the NFL, Fitz has had notable chances to take the reigns of other offenses. -he's never been able to deliver. People sit on this board and throw out stats as if the game were played on paper. I'm far more concerned with the end result than the process.

I'm sick of homers chiming-in with the same tired old "Fitz is very smart" argument. Stephen Hawking is also very smart, and I don't see him taking any reps with the first team offense.

But oh. -"He's the team leader" -Really? Was that our team leader sitting on the sideline with his head in his hands in last season's Giants game? Hm. -Must've been having a Vince Young moment. And other than when we're up a few touchdowns, when do you ever see Fitz Shouting, motivating, or gettting in anyone's face? -I get it, -It's not his way. But that is exactly what this team needs.

My point is simple, After eight years, there's no evidence that Fitz can get stronger, or more accurate anytime soon. And with a resume that includes such notable underacheivers as Tony Romo, and Chad Pennington, there's no evidence that Dave Lee can get him there.

Regardless of how you feel about Young, Chan Gailey is wrong for not opening up the starting QB competition to include him. If Fitz is so dedicated to improving, Why not let him demonstrate that by winning the starting job first and foremost.

It's easy: Put Fitzpatrick in a fight. See what he does. Build on whatever the outcome is.

The notion that our offense should just "pick up" where it left off last season is ludicrous.

I'm not a big Fitz fan either but geez don't tie him to the stake yet. He still has this year to get it done and if not Nix will bring in the right guy. I think if we underachieve this year and Fitz is bad too Chan and Buddy will still be here because they are good at what they do, they just haven't gotten the right tools yet and with another defensive overhaul within two years the D may not jell as fast as we would like either. I want to be hopeful but I did that last year and got burned for it so this year I'm cautiously optimistic.

Romo and Pennington overachieved really as they were/are not great QBs so getting them to perform to the level they did is a big plus for Lee and hopefully he can get Fitz up to par, if not it's going to another long season.

I am curious if we know what Tom House's workout for improving arm strength is but my guess from what I am seen in the game is that it probably has little to do with improving the raw amount of weight which can be picked up or moved by increasing # or more intense workout repetitions to increase raw arm strength.

From what I have seen and experienced over the years, there are two areas of repititious work which should be focused on to improve the the ability to deliver the bsll accurately over long distances.

1. The brain- The importance of raw arm strength to throw the ball a country mile is simply drastically overated for college players who are potential draft picks and young pros as well. Whether throws got repeatedly short and in the turf or a great arm routinely overthrows his intended target, they are both incomplete passes which do nothing but burn a down (n fact arguably missing short is better than missing up in the air as some of this too long errant passes are gonna be picked off- give me RJs worm burners over some of Thigpen's floaters any day).

A good QB is gonna produce more TDs from deliering the ball on relatively short throws on a good playcall and execution which pruces great RAC than he will in throwing beautiful rainbows. The threat is important as it forces the DBs to hang back (thus allowing more short catches and RAC).

Given a choice between John Elways powerful arm which helped make him a #1 choice and Tom Brady's brain and relatively weak arm which made his a 6th round pick I would rather have the good decision-making. I think Fitzy probably has more to work with to achieve great results than the tons of better atletes out thre,

The second are where I think most players should work to increase their ability to throw the deep ball is the legs. It is the really rare athlete who can throw the ball with accuracy and depth using mostly their arm strength (Brett Favre for example has been a master of the off-balance against the body arm strength virtually alone for years (the downside of this approach is that one gets some really awful interceptions from time to time because arm strength alone simply cannot be relied upon).

In terms of delivering the ball long distances with accuracy the relative importance of arm strength versus leg strenght is a no brainer as the ability to step into a throw makes a huge difference in the success of the throw. Not only is the athlete likely to profit more from increased leg strength in order to throw deep, but it actually is the ability to keep balanced that makes the big difference. It would not surprise me to see measurable increases in arm strength of a player actually results in him not being able to throw as far (or throw with accuracy) because even though his arm strength is measurably amped up he is now out of balance.

I don't know what Tom Brady did or did ot do to imporve his arm strength. The rap on him coming out of college was that he did not have a strong enough arm. Idon't think anyone would argue that now.

Well said. When NE got rid of Bledsoe for Brady, I thought they were crazy. Kid seemed to have no strength back then. Look at him now. Guess I'd never make it as a scout.

I think Fitz is going to surprise a lot of people next season. He's healthy, got a better line, and a defense that won't force him to force throws.

Plus, he has David Lee.

And he will have VY to take some option plays, keeping his arm fresher.