401k advice

DDD

Yes, it's scary that I'm asking football fans this but I'm desperate. I have no idea how to select funds to contribute to in my 401K. There is a website called Smart 401K that for $200/yr will look at the funds offered by your employer and make suggestions based on one's risk tolerance and number of years to retirement. Is this worth the cost which seems reasonable assuming they know what they are doing? Anyone out there use this service and if so do you like it? Thanks.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not pay for that kind of advice. A little reading online and you can get a good idea of how to proceed. The most important thing is that you at bare minimum contribute enough to get your company match if there is one, and beyond that you do everything possible to contribute to the maximum IRS limits on a yearly basis. Here is a good place to start .

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

The most important thing is that you at bare minimum contribute enough to get your company match if there is one,

This is good advice.

and beyond that you do everything possible to contribute to the maximum IRS limits on a yearly basis.

This is not good advice. There are a variety of investment avenues available and 401k is just one of them. Your company's plan could very well have extremely poor options and investing to the IRS max may not be as good an option as one of the thousands of others that are out there. Every investor is different and should look at their situation individually.

This is not good advice. There are a variety of investment avenues available and 401k is just one of them. Your company's plan could very well have extremely poor options and investing to the IRS max may not be as good an option as one of the thousands of others that are out there. Every investor is different and should look at their situation individually.

This is true, but as a general rule of thumb it will probably make most sense for average investors to put as much as possible to their 401k's. If he reads the link I sent they do get into scenarios where investing in a 401k beyond a match may not be a good idea. I have seen plans so bad that investing even to the match is questionable, but its rare.

To the OP, I'd recommend going To these forums where you can get the guidance you are looking for based on your individual circumstances, for free.

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6212

The most important thing is that you at bare minimum contribute enough to get your company match if there is one

What he said. Free money.

Also check how your company matches. Do they go dollar for dollar or a percentage? Is there a max contribution?

Another very important thing to remember is the earlier you start, the bigger your balance when you can start drawing. I know people in their 20s who think its a waste of money and people in their 40s who wish they had started sooner

Another very important thing to remember is the earlier you start, the bigger your balance when you can start drawing. I know people in their 20s who think its a waste of money and people in their 40s who wish they had started sooner

I just read an article that talked about the difference in what can be earned between starting in your 20's and waiting till your 30's, wish I could find it, the amount was staggering.

-Do not pay for that kind of advice.

-A little reading online and you can get a good idea of how to proceed.

-The most important thing is that you at bare minimum contribute enough to get your company match if there is one

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Many 401(k) plans offer what are referred to as Target Date or Lifestyle funds. Those funds allocate your investments between higher and lower risk investments based on your age (and hence your time frame until retirement). If your plan has these (ask your plan administrator if you aren't sure), I suggest putting it there if you aren't comfortable evaluating your fund options and deciding how to choose/balance the portfolio yourself.

This is true, but as a general rule of thumb it will probably make most sense for average investors to put as much as possible to their 401k's. If he reads the link I sent they do get into scenarios where investing in a 401k beyond a match may not be a good idea. I have seen plans so bad that investing even to the match is questionable, but its rare.

His best bet after contributing the minimum to the 401(k) to obtain the match is likely a Roth IRA. Or a 529 plan if he has kids. It's important to understand short and long term cash flow needs; you don't want to tie up all your money in retirement plans and then figure out you don't have enough to pay for the kids' education or make the balloon payment on a loan or a down payment on a house or whatever.

Edited by KD in CT

What he said. Free money.

Also check how your company matches. Do they go dollar for dollar or a percentage? Is there a max contribution?

I hear this all the time. I work for a Fortune 500 company that will peroidically offer retirement and investing seminars for employees. On more than one occasion during these talks, the speaker has mentioned that a little less than half of associates even participate in the 401k plan. And out of the half that do participate, half of them don't contribute to get the full match. I was floored by how irresponsible seemingly intelligent folks can be with their own future. I guess it's little wonder that most Americans don't care about the country as a whole heading towards oblivion either.

My advice? Do not go to a message board for advice on your retirement. People are giving you lifetime advice while knowing absolutely nothing about you.

Certainly not on this message board, but if he goes to the link I provided above and gives the required information he will get very sound, practical advice.

I hear this all the time. I work for a Fortune 500 company that will peroidically offer retirement and investing seminars for employees. On more than one occasion during these talks, the speaker has mentioned that a little less than half of associates even participate in the 401k plan. And out of the half that do participate, half of them don't contribute to get the full match. I was floored by how irresponsible seemingly intelligent folks can be with their own future. I guess it's little wonder that most Americans don't care about the country as a whole heading towards oblivion either.

Think that is much more a statement about about consumer society. Much more important to have the flashy car now than have cash in retirement.I am 49, and can tell you all of our planning s done with zero contributions coming from social security.i feel like I started late with 401 k contributions at 29, but 20 years can do some great things for you. Lot of those early years were only 4 or 5 k.

But, heed Chefs advice..

Sometimes 401K programs have a feature whereby the fund is professionally managed, for a small fee. I know the fee side is not popular BUT, over time, the professional management versus your own personal selection(s) will usually be more successful.

Age/retirement Targeted Funds are another option. They usually do not have an extra fee but likewise don't perform as well, over time.

Most people just throw money into their 401k or 457 and expect it to perform well. Unfortunately the average worker does not have the time or background to track all the investment options. Whatever plan your employer offers is only as good as your ability to successfully manage it. It's your money, and if you can't or won't manage it successfully, it's no longer a "benefit."

Certainly not on this message board, but if he goes to the link I provided above and gives the required information he will get very sound, practical advice.

I did not go to that link but if it didn't ask:

1. Risk tolerance

2. Age

3. When you want to retire

4. Tax bracket

5. How much money you make

6. What's your AGI

7. What's the vesting schedule on the plan

8. What are all your investiment choices

9. What other retirement assets do you have

10. How long do you intend to work there

11. How much, if any, tax free income for your retirment do you currenly have

It's WORTHLESS!

I did not go to that link but if it didn't ask:

1. Risk tolerance

2. Age

3. When you want to retire

4. Tax bracket

5. How much money you make

6. What's your AGI

7. What's the vesting schedule on the plan

8. What are all your investiment choices

9. What other retirement assets do you have

10. How long do you intend to work there

11. How much, if any, tax free income for your retirment do you currenly have

It's WORTHLESS!

Yep, they ask about all of that.

Yep, they ask about all of that.

Now I have a few questions for them.

What experience do they have and are they licensed to give this advice?

Oh and why is that thread locked? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Edited by Chef Jim

Now I have a few questions for them.

What experience do they have and are they licensed to give this advice?

Oh and why is that thread locked? Hmmmmmmmmmmm

The thread is locked because it's just a sticky post to be used as a guide of the format they like to have posters use so they get enough information to give some useful feedback to their questions.

Here is a sample thread:

Potfolio review

There are all levels of expertise over there, but here are a few regular posters, some of whom I have received personal feedback from in the past.

My link

My link

My link

My link

Do not pay for that kind of advice. A little reading online and you can get a good idea of how to proceed. The most important thing is that you at bare minimum contribute enough to get your company match if there is one, and beyond that you do everything possible to contribute to the maximum IRS limits on a yearly basis. Here is a good place to start .

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

Are you a Boglehead?

:thumbsup: