Any photographers here?

bills_fan

Looking for a bit of advice. I always wanted to get into photography and have a bit of time to do so now. I was looking for camera/lens recommendations and possibly a class or two (online preferably) that could teach you how to fully use its capabilities.

Shots will be mostly the family, action sports of my kids and outdoors. I have seen some shots others have taken and have been impressed. Looking to do something similar.

Thanks for any advice.

Looking for a bit of advice. I always wanted to get into photography and have a bit of time to do so now. I was looking for camera/lens recommendations and possibly a class or two (online preferably) that could teach you how to fully use its capabilities.

Shots will be mostly the family, action sports of my kids and outdoors. I have seen some shots others have taken and have been impressed. Looking to do something similar.

Thanks for any advice.

I've taken a couple more advanced classes from PPSOP. A little pricier but they are good. For a beginner, read the manual and go shoot for a while first.

You can shoot with anything, really. But if you're looking to up your game, I'd recommend any Digital SLR that makes you want to take pictures. Don't bother listening to a bunch of camera fanboy nonsense. Just get the one you like. Every camera has a million features...don't think that the 16 megapixel makes a whit of difference compared to the 12 megapixel and pay $400. IT doesn't make that much of a difference. I don't think there is such a thing as a "bad" digital SLR these days.

If you are thinking about getting serious, you will want to change lenses and use filters because really, getting it right at the time of shooting makes a bigger difference to your shot than all the post-processing.

I've taken a couple more advanced classes from PPSOP. A little pricier but they are good. For a beginner, read the manual and go shoot for a while first.

You can shoot with anything, really. But if you're looking to up your game, I'd recommend any Digital SLR that makes you want to take pictures. Don't bother listening to a bunch of camera fanboy nonsense. Just get the one you like. Every camera has a million features...don't think that the 16 megapixel makes a whit of difference compared to the 12 megapixel and pay $400. IT doesn't make that much of a difference. I don't think there is such a thing as a "bad" digital SLR these days.

If you are thinking about getting serious, you will want to change lenses and use filters because really, getting it right at the time of shooting makes a bigger difference to your shot than all the post-processing.

I agree with the part about cameras.

One thing I might suggest is to pick something between Nikon, Canon, or Sony. Only because those three all have "professional" level models. If by chance you love photography, and want to get a high end camera, you can keep a lot of the lenses and accessories you buy early instead of having to try to sell old equipment or forking over cash for all brand new stuff. Something like a Pentax is a great camera, but if you ever wanted to move up to a professional grade body, they don't really have something in that range.

But don't get too hung up on model #'s or specs. Get a good DSLR, and start taking pictures. Worry about all that crap when you've developed some skill, and know what type of photography you really enjoy.

Thanks for the responses. A few additional queries...

What speed should I be looking for? Both of my kids love playing sports and I'd like to get something that allows me to take action shots.

What about buying a camera used say on craigslist? Is it worth it or should I just go for new?

EDIT: Say something like this?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/pho/3009317117.html

Edited by bills_fan

Thanks for the responses. A few additional queries...

What speed should I be looking for? Both of my kids love playing sports and I'd like to get something that allows me to take action shots.

What about buying a camera used say on craigslist? Is it worth it or should I just go for new?

EDIT: Say something like this?

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/pho/3009317117.html

Indoor or outdoor sports?

Outdoor, just about anything is fine, as your lighting should be more than fine.

Indoor, you'll want something that has a decent picture quality at a bit higher ISO. Probably something with good IQ up to ISO 800 at least. Chances are the kit lenses you get with it (like the ones in the craigslist ad) won't be fast lenses (F2.8 or lower aperture #), so that will mean that you have to raise your ISO. Frames per second, I rarely worry about, 3-4 fps should be fine. Unless you're getting paid to photograph professional sports, that should work just fine for kid's events. I'm not a big fan of spray and pray. Good technique and proper timing/anticipation should yield decent results at those fps speeds.

Me personally, so take it with a grain of salt, if I were getting a beginner DSLR camera with a lens for kid's sports, I would look at something along the lines of:

Canon T2i/T3i

Nikon D5100

Sony A55/A57

I think the second step up from the base models are pretty decent. But in reality, any of them are good enough to get your feet wet, and learn the basics.

Also all three of these brands should be easy to get your hands on at a local Best Buy or something. Some place you can hold it, play with it, and test the menus and user interface out without someone trying to sell you a bunch of stuff.

Last bit of advice is to get the camera in your hands and test it out as best as you can before you buy it. They all feel similar, but there are enough differences that you should make sure you get something that feels and functions good for you.

Ok, really last bit of advice. If you have friends or family that shoot a specific brand, it could be helpful early on to choose the same brand (as long as you like it), just because they could have accessories that you can borrow and test before you buy it. Also if they are more experienced with the camera than you, they can possibly give you advice that makes more sense if you're working off the same system that they have.

Thanks for any advice.

Personally, I think the best way to learn the fundamentals of photography is with an old fashion film SLR.

Yes, yes I understand you can easily go out and get a digital SLR and be snapping away in no time. And maybe I'm biased, from having to take classes upon classes of film photography. But I believe you truly have a better understanding of the fundamentals of photography by going through the rigours of film photography first. You can get a cheap body for a film SLR, I mean real cheap, and if you plan things, the lenses that you buy are interchangeable with their digital counterpart. IE, Nikon lenses will work across both the digital and analog camera bodies, depending on which bodies you go with. Also analog SLRs don't have tons of settings so you really concentrate on shutter speed/aperature/film speed. And most important, because film isn't as forgiving, you concentrate on image composure and truly capture the best images. You don't just snap off 100 pictures just because you can. Then after the basics are learned and you are still interested go out and spend the money on a digital SLR.

But that's just my opinion.

Thanks a lot for the help.

So what type of lens would be a good one to start with for the sports (indoor and outdoor)? I figure getting one good for sports will also help taking other pictures since sports would be the fastest pace thing I'm likely to be shooting.

Thanks a lot for the help.

So what type of lens would be a good one to start with for the sports (indoor and outdoor)? I figure getting one good for sports will also help taking other pictures since sports would be the fastest pace thing I'm likely to be shooting.

Well, for sports, either indoor or outdoor, IMO, you'll want a telephoto lens. Being confined to the sidelines just doesn't get you very close to the action.

For something like a Canon, I would just stick with the 55-250 IS for now. You can jump up and get the 70-300 IS, but that's about $400 more. If you need a telephoto lens, I would advise getting the 55-250, and then saving up for something in the L category.

I would give the same advice for Nikon or Sony. Get the entry level telephoto zoom. Once you learn to use it and outgrow it's limitations, I think you'll want to make a bigger jump in quality than $400 for the next step up. Chances are you'll want a 70-200 either in the "affordable" F4 ($1000) price range, or an F2.8 in the arm & leg price range of $2500.

I'm just not $400 more impressed with the 70-300 over the 55-250.

Also, if you go Canon, their refurbished equipment is sometimes a good deal:

Camera Bodies:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_29252

Lenses:

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_22751

Again, I'm not telling you to get a Canon. But all the big 3 companies have comparable camera bodies and lenses at every level. So if you take the Canon exmples I've given you, Nikon & Sony have an equivalent, and most likely all of the same advice applies.

Joe gave a lot of good advice, only thing I can offer is to also check your local camera stores (not chains like Best Buy), and see if they carry used equipment. Some take bodies and lenses in trade and you may be able to pick up a recent model that someone traded in.

SHUTTER SPEED and ISO values.

For what you say you need look into FAST shutter speeds and make sure you can shoot a WIDE range of ISO values (make sure you get down to 100).

Whatever you do - get a cheap telescopic lens early on - it will transform your photography of sports. I have a great 55-300 which serves me well - but if you get "into" this - you may want a PRIME lens of more than 300.

I would add that I opted for Pentax when I bough a few years ago but compatibility with cheaper lens producers can be a problem. Stick with Nikon or Canon.

Speaking of cheaper lenses - don't stick your nose up at the Sigma lenses.

With all due respect to the previous advice offered...

Sports photography is the most demanding form of (mainstream) photography you can choose. I get asked countless times for advice and every parent says the same thing, "I don't want anything fancy, I only want to take pictures of little Johnny at soccer/hockey."

That's like asking someone for advice on inexpensive cars and adding the fact that you are "just" entering the Daytona 500.

Fast moving subjects, from variable distances, with no control of lighting is the toughest combo there is. Tough is also a euphemism for expensive. There is no such thing as inexpensive sports photography. I would be wary of spending anything on that subject until you are sure what you are dealing with.

Sports photography is the most demanding form of (mainstream) photography you can choose. I get asked countless times for advice and every parent says the same thing, "I don't want anything fancy, I only want to take pictures of little Johnny at soccer/hockey."

That's like asking someone for advice on inexpensive cars and adding the fact that you are "just" entering the Daytona 500.

Fast moving subjects, from variable distances, with no control of lighting is the toughest combo there is. Tough is also a euphemism for expensive. There is no such thing as inexpensive sports photography. I would be wary of spending anything on that subject until you are sure what you are dealing with.

True. Notice the photographers at a NFL game. They have lenses that look adequate to photograph a ant on the moon.

Definitely learn photography first. Spend money second or even third.

Never buy equipment unless it's fulfilling a need. Not a want, a need. There's a good picture to be taken with whatever camera is in your hand. Once you learn to use your equipment in spite of its limitations, you'll better understand what you need next.

But I would suggest going slow on equipment purchases. You'll take a ton of bad pictures with anything you buy when you start out. That's not the equipment's fault. More expensive stuff does not a better photographer make.

Henri Cartier-Bresson: “Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst.” IMO, true, and that's not shutter clicks, that's photographs.

Those guys on NFL sidelines didn't just max out couple of credit cards with $20000+ worth of equipment and suddenly were able to get published photos and make a living at this.

They learned the same stuff that any beginner needs to learn.

Edited by Joe Miner

The best advice I can give you is that no matter what you finally decide to buy, you can count the number of reputable online photography shops on the hand of a bad woodshop teacher. If you Google a particular item, it will take you to a dark NYC underworld of the most corrupt online retailers ever, promising you amazing deals on the best equipment. You will place an order, and they will call you to confirm, and then...it gets painful.

Stick to the reputable firms when buying online. I hear Abes of Maine is excellent.

Sister in law gives big props to B&H Photo.

And I use Adorama. The last 3 are all super reputable.

SDS is right re telephoto lens quality but you're a beginner so you should get as much telephoto lens as you can afford, but if your camera comes with some stock telephoto zoom, first see how you feel about it. You can always add more lenses later.

I have a Nikon--they tend to be heavy as a brick but I love Nikons. I've owned Canons--lots of people swear by them. Never had a Sony. It's potayto potahto. Get what feels right to you.