Where do you stand on the issues?

1. Abortion: Pro-death

2. Gay Marriage: The state of Texas should recognize my Massachusetts marriage to my tree

3. Prayers in school: Student led speech about things I like may be permissible...

4. Death Penalty: More death and victims should do it game of thrones style

5. Guns: in every house

6. Health Care: Scientology

7. War on drugs: keep the prisons packed

8. Taxes: tax everyone but me

9. Immigration: optional compliance

10. Illegal Immigrants: pro-death

11. Free trade: i like coffee

12. Military Spending: probably need more stuff all the time...

13. Foreign Policy: comply or die earth

Edited by TheNewBills

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity...specifically which gun crimes do you expect to see reduced by making it harder for people to buy ammo?

I don't know. Pick one. Maybe Convenient Store murders might go down.

The point is, the amount of people that can purchase ammunition will be reduced and the less ppl with loaded guns walking around the better.

The point is, the amount of people that can purchase ammunition will be reduced and the less ppl with loaded guns walking around the better.

You are aware that as more states passed CC laws crime has gone to record lows in this country? A huge embarrassment to the Sarah Brady crowd, but a fact.

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Won't they just beat their victims over the head with their unloaded hand guns?

First, they're Convenience Stores :oops:

And do you seriously think that those firearms are all legally registered to the perpetrator and that he waited the requisite period to obtain his firearm?

:rolleyes:

First, they're Convenience Stores :oops:

And do you seriously think that those firearms are all legally registered to the perpetrator and that he waited the requisite period to obtain his firearm?

:rolleyes:

Stupid iPhone. I sometimes let my phone finish a word for me and I guess I didn't spot the error. Oh, well.

As for your second remark, I know those guns aren't legally registered firearms. That's why I would like to see a law like this passed. It's meant specifically for those people that don't own their guns legally. I'm sure they will just purchase the ammo from the same guy that sold them the gun, but nonetheless it still makes purchasing ammo far more difficult.

1. Abortion: Pro-choice

2. Gay Marriage: Should be legal. But it's for the states to decide individually, it ABSOLUTELY should not be a federal issue.

3. Prayers in school: Only during finals.

4. Death Penalty: Absolutely. Not wantonly, but some people (Richard Ramirez, Jeffrey Dalhmer) are just too dangerous and damaged to have around.

5. Guns: Support the interpretation of the 2nd Amendment as an individual right.

6. Health Care: Against any state-run health care, AND against managed care, where the bean-counters get to override doctors on fiscal grounds. If they can do that, I want to be able to sue them for malpractice. Support tort reform that actually requires medical judgement (rather than civil) and caps punitive damages at a realistic level.

7. War on drugs: don't really care.

8. Taxes: Raise them on everyone, as long as they're accompanied by spending cuts. Otherwise it's not even relevant.

9 & 10. Immigration and illegal immigrants (because if you treat them as two separate issues, you're an idiot): Streamline the citizenship process (which is WAY too damned complex and tedious right now).

Limited amnesty for current illegal residents - some form of temporary resident status, contingent on a clean record and consistent work status, and payment of back-taxes for the period of illegal residency, that puts current illegals on an expedited track to permanent resident status without undue disruption to the national economy and people's lives. Going forward, absolutely zero tolerance for illegal immigration.

11. Free trade: I'm for it, when I'm not against it. Unless I'm ambivalent.

12. Military Spending...uh, what? Am I for or against military spending???? That's too retarded to give an answer to.

13. Foreign Policy: See Roosevelt, Theodore. See also Bush, George Herbert Walker.

Tom- I think the key issue you touched on was streamlining things. I see very little that can't be simplified.

As far as Gay Marriage goes- I don't even like that term. Marriage is marriage, regardless of color or orientation. I am not for federal intervention, but if states are going to go as far as putting it into their constitution, it may become necessary.

I prefer the teachings of President Benjamin Franklin! :devil:

1. Abortion: Personally I think it's repugnant. But doctrinally I agree with Griswold and it's successive emanations so I support a right to privacy and believe that it is contemplated by the Constitution. Ultimately states must be given freedom to impose criteria based on advancing state interests.

2. Gay Marriage: State issue. Not analagous to #1 because marriage requires state to acknowledge the union and provide certain corresponding benefits.

3. Prayers in school: Yes. Anyone who doesn't want to participate, doesn't have to. No taxpayer subsidies.

4. Death Penalty: Only in instances of admission of guilt or conclusive DNA evidence. Especially not in circumstantial cases or cases that rely solely on extrajudicial statements and accomplice testimony.

5. Guns: Unfettered access to everyone but convicted felons and minors. Background checks to determine criminal history (obviously). No restrictions on CCW except those already mentioned (and John Q. Public would obviously have to abide by the policy of commerical establishments). No restrictions on manufacturer or gun type absent compelling state/law enforcement justification.

6. Health Care: Health Care system needs reformation. I support legislative efforts and government entry into the healthcare arena. I support taxpayer dollars being used to subsidize health coverage for the abjectly impoverished and finacially disadvantaged.

7. War on drugs: Use it to create revenue stream. Tax the schit out of the sale and distribution. It may require more bueracracy and another arm of the government but at least they'll be revenue.

8. Taxes: Too complicated to distill down to a couple of sentences but I'll try - basically I think that a fair tax is BS because the middle class will always be left carrying the load. The current tax code is convulted. I think that an agonizing reappraisal of our spending is probably warranted to determine where the over-reaches are. Then a re-evaluation of taxing structure consistent with the refigured revenue needs is the best starting point. I don't think that any new tax plan is plausible without a realistic knowledge of overall spend commitment.

9. Immigration: None unless they can offer redeeming artistic, political, societal, or professional value. No "safe cities." We're all in thi together. One city or state shouldn't be able to compromise or put in jeopardy the safety and integrity of this country for political gain. We should deport children born to illegal immigrants on U.S. soil.

10. Illegal Immigrants: Deport. If they continue re-entry 3 or more times, consider them "enemy combatants" and place them in holding camps on some U.S. territory that doesn't require traditional due process.

11. Free trade: If reciprocated.

12. Military Spending: Should be outside traiditional budgetary constraints and priortized above almost all else as a country. Our safety and security is paramount. That said, U.S. manifest destiny for economic geo-political reasons should be curtailed. Developing a strong U.S. presence internationally for strategic reasons is necessary in today's world.

13. Foreign Policy: Inherently protectionist. But unfortunately it's not the 1880s so solipsism is impractical. As stated above, U.S. manifest destiny for economic geo-political reasons should be curtailed. Developing a strong U.S. presence internationally for strategic reasons is necessary in today's world.

14. Social Security: Raise taxable maximum to ensure solvency.

1. Abortion: Personally I think it's repugnant. But doctrinally I agree with Griswold and it's successive emanations so I support a right to privacy and believe that it is contemplated by the Constitution. Ultimately states must be given freedom to impose criteria based on advancing state interests.

2. Gay Marriage: State issue. Not analagous to #1 because marriage requires state to acknowledge the union and provide certain corresponding benefits.

3. Prayers in school: Yes. Anyone who doesn't want to participate, doesn't have to. No taxpayer subsidies.

4. Death Penalty: Only in instances of admission of guilt or conclusive DNA evidence. Especially not in circumstantial cases or cases that rely solely on extrajudicial statements and accomplice testimony.

5. Guns: Unfettered access to everyone but convicted felons and minors. Background checks to determine criminal history (obviously). No restrictions on CCW except those already mentioned (and John Q. Public would obviously have to abide by the policy of commerical establishments). No restrictions on manufacturer or gun type absent compelling state/law enforcement justification.

6. Health Care: Health Care system needs reformation. I support legislative efforts and government entry into the healthcare arena. I support taxpayer dollars being used to subsidize health coverage for the abjectly impoverished and finacially disadvantaged.

7. War on drugs: Use it to create revenue stream. Tax the schit out of the sale and distribution. It may require more bueracracy and another arm of the government but at least they'll be revenue.

8. Taxes: Too complicated to distill down to a couple of sentences but I'll try - basically I think that a fair tax is BS because the middle class will always be left carrying the load. The current tax code is convulted. I think that an agonizing reappraisal of our spending is probably warranted to determine where the over-reaches are. Then a re-evaluation of taxing structure consistent with the refigured revenue needs is the best starting point. I don't think that any new tax plan is plausible without a realistic knowledge of overall spend commitment.

9. Immigration: None unless they can offer redeeming artistic, political, societal, or professional value. No "safe cities." We're all in thi together. One city or state shouldn't be able to compromise or put in jeopardy the safety and integrity of this country for political gain. We should deport children born to illegal immigrants on U.S. soil.

10. Illegal Immigrants: Deport. If they continue re-entry 3 or more times, consider them "enemy combatants" and place them in holding camps on some U.S. territory that doesn't require traditional due process.

11. Free trade: If reciprocated.

12. Military Spending: Should be outside traiditional budgetary constraints and priortized above almost all else as a country. Our safety and security is paramount. That said, U.S. manifest destiny for economic geo-political reasons should be curtailed. Developing a strong U.S. presence internationally for strategic reasons is necessary in today's world.

13. Foreign Policy: Inherently protectionist. But unfortunately it's not the 1880s so solipsism is impractical. As stated above, U.S. manifest destiny for economic geo-political reasons should be curtailed. Developing a strong U.S. presence internationally for strategic reasons is necessary in today's world.

14. Social Security: Raise taxable maximum to ensure solvency.

Would you be surprised to find out I largely agree with you? (Except for #10, which your suggestion is draconian as hell.)

I expect that the majority of us agree in principle on most of these issues. It's the details of how best to address them that ends up being the real sticking point.

You would make them available to the mentally ill? :unsure:

You want to restrict ownership based on a possibility of future bad acts founded on a medical diagnosis?

Depends on what the problem is- my father suffered from multiple forms of dementia for about a decade and could out of nowhere, feel threatened and go into violent fits. Someone in that condition shouldn't have a gun. I probably should have been more specific.

Edited by Adam

You would make them available to the mentally ill? :unsure:

Yes.

So long as their mental illness doesn't implicate any prior criminal behavior. If people were doing their jobs and admitting people who were considered threats to the public safety because of mental instability, it wouldn't be an issue that impacted gun ownership (Virginia Tech). Also, if we had responsible healthcare policy that allowed the financially disadvantaged to have access to mental health services we silmilarly wouldn't have to use increased restrictions on gun rights as a backup plan.

Restricting gun ownership shouldn't be a proxy for bad healthcare policy.

Would you be surprised to find out I largely agree with you? (Except for #10, which your suggestion is draconian as hell.)

I expect that the majority of us agree in principle on most of these issues. It's the details of how best to address them that ends up being the real sticking point.

I am somewhat surprised.

As for #10 - I agree it's a bit extreme, but we have to get serious about recidivism. Anyone who repeatedly enters the country illegally is either here to enjoy the liberties and privileges of a United States citizen (jobs, opportunity, abundance of fertile women) without paying the concomitant price or there is an illicit purpose where anonymity is a requirement. One it a taking and the other is nefarious. They're both injurious to the integrity of this country.

Yes.

So long as their mental illness doesn't implicate any prior criminal behavior. If people were doing their jobs and admitting people who were considered threats to the public safety because of mental instability, it wouldn't be an issue that impacted gun ownership (Virginia Tech). Also, if we had responsible healthcare policy that allowed the financially disadvantaged to have access to mental health services we silmilarly wouldn't have to use increased restrictions on gun rights as a backup plan.

Restricting gun ownership shouldn't be a proxy for bad healthcare policy.

Actually, considering that mental illness frequently causes incapacity to a degree that the mentally ill are financially disadvantaged, that's roughly equivalent to providing free mental health services for everyone.

Which may or may not sound good, depending on your point of view...but it also means a likely standard of care akin to that provided by HMOs currently...which sucks, a lot.

1. Abortion: Only for liberals (it's a truly disgusting practice)

2. Gay Marriage: I don't give a ****

3. Prayers in school: I don't give a ****

4. Death Penalty: Yes, only b/c it can be used as a bargaining chip. Not that I don't think some people need killing, but vengeance isn't a good justification for government policy.

5. Guns: It's a constitutional right (not contingent on the current existence of a militia) and is beneficial for personal defense as well as giving people the ability to organize and fend off the government should it become oppressive.

6. Health Care: We need reform, & that means less government, not more, and government should stop forcing every insurance policy to be so comprehensive in coverage. If you want a policy that offers sex reassignment hormones or psychological counseling, you buy the policy that fits you.

7. War on drugs: It's a !@#$ing travesty. It creates violent black markets, gives dangerous people access to money & power, is a drain on society to imprison so many people who are not dangerous, & there is little to no justification for imprisoning a "free" adult for ingesting a drug by choice.

8. Taxes: fairtax.org

9 & 10. Immigration: First, secure the border. Second, make it easy for people who got here legally & have put down roots to become citizens rather than giving them the boot when their visas expire. Third, now that we've shut the floodgate to illegals we can massively open up legal immigration channels to increase the # of people let in & we selectively choose who we let in based on the economic needs of the country.

11. Free trade: Absolutely. Foregoing the benefits of comparative advantage is foolish & wasteful. VERY limited protectionism for industries like steel that would be essential in time of war that could otherwise leave us helpless in the face of an embargo.

12. Military Spending: this is the most overstated expenditure we have. National defense is arguably the primary function of the Federal government & only accounts for 20% of the budget.

13. Foreign Policy: I'll not tout the name of Theodore Roosevelt b/c I don't care for progressives, regardless of party affiliation, but "Speak softly & carry a big stick" sounds about right to me.

No use writing my own because this is pretty much my opinions as well. I do go back and forth on #7. Some drugs like pot I think should be legal, others I'm afraid of them being easily accessible.

Also, on #4 I'm for the death penalty for pre meditated murder.