FSU rumors starting to grow

UConn James

The rumors about FSU bolting for the Big-12 have now picked up a lot of steam, with a U trustee now fanning those embers.

Link

So here's Florida State, which acknowledge this spring that is running an operating deficit and may have to trim up to $2.4 million in expenditures. It's saddled with what it considers a less-than-desirable football schedule as it tries to lure 80,000-plus all the way to the Panhandle. The addition of Syracuse and Pitt to the league schedule won't help that problem in the least. And it's literally surrounded by cash-rich SEC clubs.

Across the ACC, the television deal was seen as anywhere from a disappointment to a disaster, sources said.

In Tallahassee, it may have been the last straw.

Could be an interesting game of shuffleboard coming up in the next several months. I have to admit I would love for them to jump, and open a slot for UConn....

Yeah, the new ACC contract has FSU in an uproar. The university president said they FSU is committed to the ACC, and then the chair of the board of trustees says the exact opposite. At the end of the day, money is probably going to talk. FSU has many reasons to leave the ACC, and few to stay. I've never seen a conference treat their "flagship" football program as crappy as the ACC does to FSU. From horrible scheduling; this year we open the seaosn with 4 consecutive home games, and play 5/8 on the road to end things, to staging games at the most dumbass times (Clemson vs FSU is in late september...given that the game should have major implications on who wins the division, you'd think they'd push it to november to get the conference in the spotlight. Also, they scheduled the FSU-VT game this year for a thursday night. The ACC is the only (*^*&%^$^#conference to make its marquee teams play weeknight games. Thursday night is for low tier schools of low conference to play, not the top 2 teams in your conference).

Basically, from the FSU perspective, the ACC is focused first and foremost on the North Carolina schools and basketball. This is evident given the fact that under the new deal, the third tier TV rights (negotiated by the individual schools, not the conference) are open for basketball, but NOT football. So the Duke's and UNC's can sell their 3rd tier rights for b-ball games, but FSU and the like can't for football.

The rumors that have been swirling are that Clemson would hop to the Big 12 with FSU. I don't think any movement will happen until the new playoff system is determined. At that time, i expect FSU to make a decision to given the most beneficial opportunity to compete for a football title. I'm all for exploring the Big XII, because frankly, the ACC treats FSU like crap.

Apparently Jimbo has also said FSU should look into the Big XII.

Of course, it remains to be seen if UT and OU will accept them.

Texas is not real fond of playing a conference championship game.

• 2 weeks later...

Rumors are now floating that there have been informal talks between the Big XII(-2) and FSU, Miami, Clemson, and VT. The Big XII(-2) could possibly go from also-ran to super conference in one fell swoop. However, i doubt anything that big happens. If anything, i'd bet that they simply poach 2 of the 4 in this first round, with FSU and Clemson being the most likely. Miami said they aren't going anywhere, and there's always talk of the virginia legislature not allowing 1 Virginia school to move without the other.

It sure does seem as if we're on the way to 16 team conferences, and the best (and funniest part) is that as much as the commissioners are against an 8-team playoff, you'd essentially have a de facto 8-team playoff, with the 4 super-conference title games acting as the 1st round.

Edited by Ramius

The rumor I'm hearing is that Texas and Deloss Dodds are open to 14 right now, but the Big 12 is more likely to go to 12 teams first, due to fear of litigation and the PR prospects of the Big 12 killing the ACC. FSU being one of them, and the other still being worked out between Clemson, GT, VT, and Miami.

I'd love to see us pick up both FSU and VT, but I have some emotional ties to VT due to friends.

Edited by BlueFire

The rumor I'm hearing is that Texas and Deloss Dodds are open to 14 right now, but the Big 12 is more likely to go to 12 teams first, due to fear of litigation and the PR prospects of the Big 12 killing the ACC. FSU being one of them, and the other still being worked out between Clemson, GT, VT, and Miami.

I'd love to see us pick up both FSU and VT, but I have some emotional ties to VT due to friends.

I'd prefer Clemson over VT because they're much more of a rival of FSU. Series has gotten pretty nasty the past handful of years. If FSU lost the miami game, i'd hate to lose the Clemson as well.

Plus, taking VT over Clemson would make watching Clemson's annual collapse much less gratifying.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, the new ACC contract has FSU in an uproar. The university president said they FSU is committed to the ACC, and then the chair of the board of trustees says the exact opposite. At the end of the day, money is probably going to talk. FSU has many reasons to leave the ACC, and few to stay. I've never seen a conference treat their "flagship" football program as crappy as the ACC does to FSU. From horrible scheduling; this year we open the seaosn with 4 consecutive home games, and play 5/8 on the road to end things, to staging games at the most dumbass times (Clemson vs FSU is in late september...given that the game should have major implications on who wins the division, you'd think they'd push it to november to get the conference in the spotlight. Also, they scheduled the FSU-VT game this year for a thursday night. The ACC is the only (*^*&%^$^#conference to make its marquee teams play weeknight games. Thursday night is for low tier schools of low conference to play, not the top 2 teams in your conference).

Basically, from the FSU perspective, the ACC is focused first and foremost on the North Carolina schools and basketball. This is evident given the fact that under the new deal, the third tier TV rights (negotiated by the individual schools, not the conference) are open for basketball, but NOT football. So the Duke's and UNC's can sell their 3rd tier rights for b-ball games, but FSU and the like can't for football.

The rumors that have been swirling are that Clemson would hop to the Big 12 with FSU. I don't think any movement will happen until the new playoff system is determined. At that time, i expect FSU to make a decision to given the most beneficial opportunity to compete for a football title. I'm all for exploring the Big XII, because frankly, the ACC treats FSU like crap.

You hit the nail on the head with ACC. The engine that drives that conference is basketball. That is good for the schools on Tobacco Road becuase their interest are going to be at the forefront. Not so good for schools like Miami/FSU/V Tech/Clemson who are definately football schools first & foremost. Money will dictate how this thing is played out obviously. If you think about it though the path to getting into the 4 team playoff/NC would be alot less rocky for FSU if they stay in the ACC where they do not have to play Oklahoma/Texas/TCU. FSU should never have strength of scheduling problems even in a down ACC year due to the fact that they play Florida every year & my guess is if they want to boos their schedule they could get South Florida/Central Florida to agree to home an home series if they desired. If they go 12-0 with that schedule that should be enough to get them into the playoff.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.