Mitt Romney up by EIGHT everywhere

Not sure I postulated a stance on public schools…..simply highlighting the fact that generalizations are not contributory toward much of anything. Plus, with being addressed as "a—hole" indicates to me that I have much less invested in this forum and airing my views than others…..the juice, for me, is not worth the squeeze….so please chalk this up as a "win" and running off another moderate.

For the record, I love the competition that private schools offer that is not otherwise evident…..in the hopes it forces all educational systems to educate our children in the most effective way as the enter our society and the global economy. Simple as that – I do not want to see public schools fail simply because they are public (or private simply because they are private).....schooling is too important to hold either simpleton view.

I can also wrap my eyes around the fact there are terrific public schools and private schools and there are pathetic public and private schools……so to overstate or generalize does not allow the real issues to be discussed.

Jesus. 3rd is defending me and I'm agreeing with OC. Cats and dogs living together. Mass hysteria.

The problem with public schools is they are massively funded and systemically flawed. The private schools can't compete because the public schools have no need to. They are not set up or geared to compete.

Unlike 3rd, I have seen a ton of really really really bad private schools. The privatization of the Philadelphia schools (which is not really completely private, but that would be a huge digression) that private advocates hoped would be a model for future school district turnarounds has been largely (not completely) a failure. But what these private schools are proving is that competition among low income serving schools is possible, which gives families and students at least some choice of which school seems to be best for their kids, and removes them from the (at least here) pit of Philly public schools. At least private schooling gives parents a choice, while avoiding the entrenched teacher and shifting political whim on curriculum issues.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jesus. 3rd is defending me and I'm agreeing with OC. Cats and dogs living together. Mass hysteria.

The problem with public schools is they are massively funded and systemically flawed. The private schools can't compete because the public schools have no need to. They are not set up or geared to compete.

Unlike 3rd, I have seen a ton of really really really bad private schools. The privatization of the Philadelphia schools (which is not really completely private, but that would be a huge digression) that private advocates hoped would be a model for future school district turnarounds has been largely (not completely) a failure. But what these private schools are proving is that competition among low income serving schools is possible, which gives families and students at least some choice of which school seems to be best for their kids, and removes them from the (at least here) pit of Philly public schools. At least private schooling gives parents a choice, while avoiding the entrenched teacher and shifting political whim on curriculum issues.

Couldn't have said it better. There are massive design flaws. These aren't "bugs" that can be fixed. These are design flaws. We throw out flawed designs, we don't try to patch them.

The entire city of Philadelphia needs a giant B word slap. Seriously. And right after, words to the effect of "You are not ever going to be NYC. Get over it. Stop looking to them for what to do next in...every...single...aspect...of your silly lives". Philly is NYC's insecure younger sibling, and that insecurity is out of hand. If NYC passed a "we walk with thumb in ass on Wednesday's, but only on odd # streets", Philly would begin looking into that the next day, and have the same ordinance passed the following week.

Philly is a mess made worse by endlessly trying to copy NYC. Philly is badly in need of its own ideas, but first, it needs its own identity restored.

Really? I addressed you in the same fashion? Accept my apologies, I did not realize I did.

You didn't address me at all. But you came in talking **** off the bat so I put you in your place. I didn't know you were going to cry about it. You were rude and some guy on an anonymous chat board called you an ass hole. I think you'll be okay.

Couldn't have said it better. There are massive design flaws. These aren't "bugs" that can be fixed. These are design flaws. We throw out flawed designs, we don't try to patch them.

The entire city of Philadelphia needs a giant B word slap. Seriously. And right after, words to the effect of "You are not ever going to be NYC. Get over it. Stop looking to them for what to do next in...every...single...aspect...of your silly lives". Philly is NYC's insecure younger sibling, and that insecurity is out of hand. If NYC passed a "we walk with thumb in ass on Wednesday's, but only on odd # streets", Philly would begin looking into that the next day, and have the same ordinance passed the following week.

Philly is a mess made worse by endlessly trying to copy NYC. Philly is badly in need of its own ideas, but first, it needs its own identity restored.

I could only nitpick this to say Philly has an identity but there's no doubt that copying NYC does not work.

Edited by John Adams

I could only nitpick this to say Philly has an identity but there's no doubt that copying NYC does not work.

Semi-psychotic sports fan, I mean passionate sports fan is certainly an identity. Not one to really be proud of, but its something.

!

But has the electoral map changed at all?

There are several states like NC, VA, IN, PA, OH, FL, and then all of New England states that are somewhat in play. The libs, right now are in a tizzy. They know that probably they should have voted for Hillary in "08, but that would have only made us marginally less worse.

There are several states like NC, VA, IN, PA, OH, FL, and then all of New England states that are somewhat in play. The libs, right now are in a tizzy. They know that probably they should have voted for Hillary in "08, but that would have only made us marginally less worse.

Yeah, because those aren't in play every Presidential election...........

Indiana is usually a red state through and through until Obama in 08. North Carolina and Virginia as well.

Yeah, because those aren't in play every Presidential election...........

Indiana is usually a red state through and through until Obama in 08. North Carolina and Virginia as well.

Disagree on VA...northern VA is usually heavily blue, and a huge chunk of the state.

And as I recall, New England usually isn't in play. Though I don't know that I agree with 3rd that it is now.

Disagree on VA...northern VA is usually heavily blue, and a huge chunk of the state.

And as I recall, New England usually isn't in play. Though I don't know that I agree with 3rd that it is now.

New England usually isn't in play besides maybe New Hampshire. I don't think it's really in play either in 2012.

Virginia is definitely a toss-up right now, but I think it will end up going to Romney. NC goes to Romney as well.

Full prediction as of right now:

Romney: VA, NC

Obama: PA, OH, New England States

Florida is a tough call. Not sure where this is going.

It's not, aside from N.H. That will go to the wire.

Edited by Magox

New England usually isn't in play besides maybe New Hampshire. I don't think it's really in play either in 2012.

Virginia is definitely a toss-up right now, but I think it will end up going to Romney. NC goes to Romney as well.

Full prediction as of right now:

Romney: VA, NC

Obama: PA, OH, New England States

Florida is a tough call. Not sure where this is going.

Predictions in May are worthless. But for grins and giggles:

272 Romney: VA, NC, FL, OH, IA

253 Obama: WI, NV, PA, New England minus NH

013 Tossup: NH, CO

4 in 10 Democrats desert Obama in Arkansas, Kentucky

Four in ten Democratic voters chose someone other than President Obama on Tuesday in primaries in Arkansas and Kentucky.

In Arkansas, John Wolfe — a perennial, long-shot candidate — took 41 percent of the vote in the Democratic primary, with 71 percent of precincts reporting. Obama came in just under 60 percent. The Associated Press did not call the race for Obama until close to midnight.

And in Kentucky, 42 percent of Democrats chose "uncommitted" rather than cast a vote for the incumbent president. Obama took 58 percent, with 99 percent of precincts reporting.

The Hill