Byron Mulkey tryout

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article851335.ece

I suppose it's no skin off anyone's noise to invite Byron Mulkey to the rookie tryout, but considering the thousands of actual college football players, it's curious why a guy who hasn't played since high school is getting a look. Someone must think he brings something. It's times like these I miss NFL Europe.

PTR

I suppose it's no skin off anyone's noise to invite Byron Mulkey to the rookie tryout, but considering the thousands of actual college football players, it's curious why a guy who hasn't played since high school is getting a look. Someone must think he brings something. It's times like these I miss NFL Europe.

PTR

Agreed why not give him a look.

On a side note Promo what do you think of Danny White UB's New AD? I like the fact that they hired someone else similar to Warde Manuel, young and eager to make his mark.

Agreed why not give him a look.

On a side note Promo what do you think of Danny White UB's New AD? I like the fact that they hired someone else similar to Warde Manuel, young and eager to make his mark.

His credentials are solid. (but then again so were football HC Jeff Quinn's :angry: ) I do like him. UB is a stepping stone job so he's not going to be around long but there is a lot of good he can do.

#1 being getting the fieldhouse built. They need another $12M to do it. #2 Find a way to get rid of Jeff Quinn. He has managed to piss away any momentum the program built from winning the MAC title in '08. UB is back to being ranked in the bottom 10 in D-1 college football again.

After that I would liked to see hockey started at UB but it's easier said than done. The last thing UB needs is to suck at another sport. If they do start hockey it has to be done with a realistic plan to create a quality program with decent facilities. Otherwise they won't be able to recruit anyone good.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

His credentials are solid. (but then again so were football HC Jeff Quinn's :angry: ) I do like him. UB is a stepping stone job so he's not going to be around long but there is a lot of good he can do.

#1 being getting the fieldhouse built. They need another $12M to do it. #2 Find a way to get rid of Jeff Quinn. He has managed to piss away any momentum the program built from winning the MAC title in '08. UB is back to being ranked in the bottom 10 in D-1 college football again.

After that I would liked to see hockey started at UB but it's easier said than done. The last thing UB needs is to suck at another sport. If they do start hockey it has to be done with a realistic plan to create a quality program with decent facilities. Otherwise they won't be able to recruit anyone good.

PTR

White's specialty seems to be fundraising, so I could see a fieldhouse in the next few years.

I cannot believe how bad Quinn has sucked as a head coach. At this point I would love to see UB rehire Turner Gill when Quinn's contract expires.

As far as hockey goes, hopefully White can talk to Terry Pegula to see if he is interested in building a combination practice facility for the Sabres along with a 5000 seat arena for hockey. Considering a large majority of the Sabres live in East Amherst/Clarence Area the North Campus would make a great location.

With that field house, it would be beneficial to have a legit indoor track facility. It is sad that Buff State, Fredonia, Brockport, RIT, and Geneseo have better indoor facilities than this D-I program. What compounds is that Fredonia and Buff State's field houses are old and in need of renovation and are still better than UB's indoor track facility surrounding the basketball court.

WNY athletes in general would benefit from the existence of said field house.

Hopefully this AD can right this wrong, along with the football team

White's specialty seems to be fundraising, so I could see a fieldhouse in the next few years.

I cannot believe how bad Quinn has sucked as a head coach. At this point I would love to see UB rehire Turner Gill when Quinn's contract expires.

As far as hockey goes, hopefully White can talk to Terry Pegula to see if he is interested in building a combination practice facility for the Sabres along with a 5000 seat arena for hockey. Considering a large majority of the Sabres live in East Amherst/Clarence Area the North Campus would make a great location.

Pegula built the facility at PSU for their hockey team. So a possibility. He loves the sport.

Pegula built the facility at PSU for their hockey team. So a possibility. He loves the sport.

Jeremy Jacobs is also a big UB donor. As for that Sabres practice rink, I thought they were talking with Canisius since the Sabres want a rink close to FNC? You do have the Notrthtowns Center right across Millersport from the campus. The question is can that facility be turned into a 3,000 seat arena (or whatever the minimum D-1 capacity is)? And if you do that will it look like anything a hot recruit would want to play in? An even BIGGER question is will fans show up? UB students have gotten much better at supporting their teams but still have a long way to go.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Jeremy Jacobs is also a big UB donor. As for that Sabres practice rink, I thought they were talking with Canisius since the Sabres want a rink close to FNC? You do have the Notrthtowns Center right across Millersport from the campus. The question is can that facility be turned into a 3,000 seat arena (or whatever the minimum D-1 capacity is)? And if you do that will it look like anything a hot recruit would want to play in? An even BIGGER question is will fans show up? UB students have gotten much better at supporting their teams but still have a long way to go.

PTR

I think the problem with the Northtowns Center is finding ice time even for the Sabres. IIRC the Sabres had to have practice at less than ideal times during the playoffs last year because of scheduling conflicts. Who knows?

PTR

Hockey and lacrosse seem like perfect fits.

PTR

Time for the NFL to adopt a AAA league, The Rochester Razors would be fun to watch future Bills develop (in the spring of course so we can have Football all year :thumbsup: ).

Time for the NFL to adopt a AAA league, The Rochester Razors would be fun to watch future Bills develop (in the spring of course so we can have Football all year :thumbsup: ).

That is one of the best ideas I have heard in a while. NFL Development League would be fun to watch.

Both sports were recommended for UB by a study they commissioned years ago. That and dropping baseball. But the gears grind slowly.

PTR

The Corrigan report did recommend hockey and lacrosse. Manuel didn't see fit to act on two sports where they would not only draw on hockey & lacrosse hotbeds in WNY and Southern Ontario, but also two sports where there would be potential for building a fan base beyond basketball and football.

Edited by LabattBlue

The Corrigan report did recommend hockey and lacrosse. Mannuel didn't see fit to act on two sports where they would not only draw on hockey & lacrosse hotbeds in WNY and Southern Ontario, but also two sports where there would be potential for building a fan base beyond basketball and football.

Lacrosse makes even more sense than hockey.

PTR