Here's an idea: show training camp on the internet

If the Bills televised their public training camp sessions from St. John Fischer would you watch? I think it would be a big hit. I know I'd watch. Is there any NFL rule blocking this?

PTR

I would watch a bit. At least some daily highlights.

Bill Belichick would definitely watch. As would all the other coaches on our schedule

First of all he's referring to the open to the public training camp sessions. If other teams want to see what we're doing they can send a high school intern to our camp with a video camera and a tripod and get all the video they want already. Its legal and cheap. Believe me if there is a competitive advantage to be gained from that then every NFL team is already doing it, but my guess is they would rely on preseason and actual game tape.

I love this idea.

I only live a few miles from St John Fisher and I've had years where I never get to camp ONCE. Heat, rain, crowds, parking/shuttle hassles, night practices that require tickets I don't have, etc. It's hard for my kids to see unless we're in the bleachers. I would think even a one or two day delay so they could do some rough editing and have 30 min of footage would be awesome.

You should send Russ Brandon an email and suggest this. Don't copy anyone else in because he loves it when its HIS idea. Here's a low cost way to generate interest in the team and keep the fans plugged in. Out of town fans would love it. I would suggest doing it for a few weeks and when they see how many views it gets on the buffalobills.com site if its a decent amount then keep it going. I would watch them instead of some crap NBA game on in the summer.

You know they already tape them anyway so why not upload it for the fans. Our local news gives us like 10 seconds of training camp video per night during camp.

Chalk one solid idea up for PTR and the stadium wall ! (and all this time i thought we were just here to mock out brady and rex)

I've never been to St John Fisher but didn't they reconfigure the fields/bleachers recently?

I thought I heard where the new setup makes it harder to see much of the drills.

Is there a chance they did this partly to enhance the privacy of their practices?

I like the idea and I think that there are so many Bills die hards that the ratings could justify the show. But I don't know if the Bills would go for it. It seems like teams are getting more and more secretive.

Even though going to a training camp session is free, the whole point of the public part of camp is $. That's why they herd you through the vendor area and merchandise tent on your way to and from the field. They want you buying gear & food. They want you connecting personally with the team so that you'll buy tickets. They want you to bring your kids so that the next generation of fandom is on board.

Not sure how much of that happens if you're watching it on TV.

I think its a great idea!

If they cant show it on tv, at least stream it form the Bills site or at least make the video available to watch the next day on the Bills site.

Being from Hamilton, Ontario I cant always make it down and the highlight clips are not enough.

I remember looking for satellite feeds last year and several teams were broadcasting from camp. I think it was through ESPN if memory serves. The Bills were not one of those teams last year, but there does not appear to be a NFL rule against it.

First of all he's referring to the open to the public training camp sessions. If other teams want to see what we're doing they can send a high school intern to our camp with a video camera and a tripod and get all the video they want already. Its legal and cheap. Believe me if there is a competitive advantage to be gained from that then every NFL team is already doing it, but my guess is they would rely on preseason and actual game tape.

I love this idea.

I only live a few miles from St John Fisher and I've had years where I never get to camp ONCE. Heat, rain, crowds, parking/shuttle hassles, night practices that require tickets I don't have, etc. It's hard for my kids to see unless we're in the bleachers. I would think even a one or two day delay so they could do some rough editing and have 30 min of footage would be awesome.

You should send Russ Brandon an email and suggest this. Don't copy anyone else in because he loves it when its HIS idea. Here's a low cost way to generate interest in the team and keep the fans plugged in. Out of town fans would love it. I would suggest doing it for a few weeks and when they see how many views it gets on the buffalobills.com site if its a decent amount then keep it going. I would watch them instead of some crap NBA game on in the summer.

You know they already tape them anyway so why not upload it for the fans. Our local news gives us like 10 seconds of training camp video per night during camp.

Chalk one solid idea up for PTR and the stadium wall ! (and all this time i thought we were just here to mock out brady and rex)

Actually they cant. If the team charges money to attend training camp then teams can send scouts, if they are free no scouts can attend. Doesnt mean it doesnt happen but Belicheck cant be gaining much of an advatage by watching some guys in shorts

Actually they cant. If the team charges money to attend training camp then teams can send scouts, if they are free no scouts can attend. Doesnt mean it doesnt happen but Belicheck cant be gaining much of an advatage by watching some guys in shorts

How do they enforce that rule? People bring cameras all the time.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Hope do they enforce that rule? People bring cameras all the time.

PTR

The same way they enforce the Bounties rule - tell people it's a no-no, then punish them if they find out you violated it.

No issue with any kind of "spy gate" in training camp.

Of all of the open practices I have been to at SJF I have never seen anything but basic plays and formations.

They certainly are not running anything that would need to be kept a secret from other teams.

I think its a great idea!

If they cant show it on tv, at least stream it form the Bills site or at least make the video available to watch the next day on the Bills site.

Being from Hamilton, Ontario I cant always make it down and the highlight clips are not enough.

I realize it's not the whole day of camp, but Chris Brown narrates a highlight video of each day's action (usually six minutes or so) on bb.com that's usually up by the next day.

I think Jay hit the nail right on the head, though. They want people to come to camp to interact and buy stuff. If they make it available on TV the live crowds will suffer, and only the diehards will come out.

Hope do they enforce that rule? People bring cameras all the time.

PTR

People do, ie fans. It was a few years ago when Snyder charged people to attend the Redskins camp that it was mentioned that other teams could send their scouts to his camp, since it wasn't an "open" practice. Let me see if I can find an article....

Best I can do, without taking you to a $$$ link...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1298&dat=20010214&id=d-oyAAAAIBAJ&sjid=QggGAAAAIBAJ&pg=6142,3498506

$10 to park, $10 to attend camp. They mention in the article that scouts for "almost every team" paid the $10 to get in.

I live 3 miles from SJF and I didn't see ANY of camp last year.

Lazy bum, I bet your excuse was you wanted to spend time with the family.

That is a great idea. They should do that.

If the Bills televised their public training camp sessions from St. John Fischer would you watch? I think it would be a big hit. I know I'd watch. Is there any NFL rule blocking this?

PTR