Buscaglia tweet suggests Fred's contract may be close?

Actually that 7th rounder making the team vs a vet taking the same roster spot could have saved us some cash.

True but as I said before, there is almost no chance that all 10 rookies make the final roster on this team, and the guys drafted ahead of that guy obviously have a better chance. Eight maybe, but not 10.

Extend the existing deal, which pays him about $1.9M for this year for 2 more years -- give him a $8M guaranteed plus $3.8M in base in 2013 and $4.2M in base in 2014. He and his agent call it a 3 year, $16M extension with a total value of 3 years $17.9M including this years base. He makes more than CJ. He earns as much guaranteed money as his entire previous extension he signed in 2008 (4 years, $7.5M) and we still have some money to play with the get one of Byrd or Levitre done before the season.

This makes everyone happy. Fred does not have a huge amount of wear and tear and he has proven time and again he is uncanny at following blocks, making moves in open space, picking up the blitz and catching the ball. He is the lighter fluid on our offensive charcoal. This rewards him in a fitting manner.

Extend the existing deal, which pays him about $1.9M for this year for 2 more years -- give him a $8M guaranteed plus $3.8M in base in 2013 and $4.2M in base in 2014. He and his agent call it a 3 year, $16M extension with a total value of 3 years $17.9M including this years base. He makes more than CJ. He earns as much guaranteed money as his entire previous extension he signed in 2008 (4 years, $7.5M) and we still have some money to play with the get one of Byrd or Levitre done before the season.

This makes everyone happy. Fred does not have a huge amount of wear and tear and he has proven time and again he is uncanny at following blocks, making moves in open space, picking up the blitz and catching the ball. He is the lighter fluid on our offensive charcoal. This rewards him in a fitting manner.

Do you mean 8 million in guaranteed bonuses? Or just 8 million guaranteed total? If it's a bonus I would agree. But I think he needs the 15-16 mil more than what he is getting now, almost as a low point (meaning it's acceptable but not great).

Do you mean 8 million in guaranteed bonuses? Or just 8 million guaranteed total? If it's a bonus I would agree. But I think he needs the 15-16 mil more than what he is getting now, almost as a low point (meaning it's acceptable but not great).

Meant an up front signing bonus of $8M. They certainly could guarantee some of the salary in 2013 and 2014 as March 1st payments. I wouldn't object to that at all. Maybe $1.5M guaranteed at the start of each new NFL year (around March 1st) for 2013 and 2014. That would mean $11M guaranteed in today's terminology I guess.

What does CJ make (avg per season)?

8/6/2010: Signed a five-year, $25 million contract. The deal includes $20.8 million guaranteed. Another $12.5 million is available through incentives, roughly $12 million of which are available in the final year. 2012: $852,917, 2013: $1,300,834, 2014: $1,748,750, 2015: Free Agent
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5566/cj-spiller

My 2-cents hasn't changed since week one of last year. Freddie is a top 5 back in the NFL and THAT is saying something. He's never had a bad or unproductive season as a BIll, and he deserves to get paid. If it were me, I'd give him a contract that finishs his career in Buffalo valued at somewhere near 30 Million. I think that's a fair number, and one Freddie would accept.

Tim-

My 2-cents hasn't changed since week one of last year. Freddie is a top 5 back in the NFL and THAT is saying something. He's never had a bad or unproductive season as a BIll, and he deserves to get paid. If it were me, I'd give him a contract that finishs his career in Buffalo valued at somewhere near 30 Million. I think that's a fair number, and one Freddie would accept.

Tim-

That would be a six year contract. Fred's a great guy, but you don't play a 36 year old back 5 million.

Actually that 7th rounder making the team vs a vet taking the same roster spot could have saved us some cash.

For a player of Fred's age, guaranteed money is the only thing that matters.

I preface this with I don't know what I am talking about, but some veteran salaries did not count against the salary cap in the previous CBA. It might have been only if you signed a guy to the veteran minimum. Not sure if that is still present in the current CBA, and it wouldn't apply to Freddie as he will be way over the veteran minimum - unless the league only counts the amount over the veteran minimum against the cap.

Tim-

You are negotiating against yourself in that scenario. Freddie is not worth that kind of money to the Bills and certainly nowhere close to that to other teams. No other team in the league will give him a long term deal, unless it is fake money like a 5 year deal that has a 6 million dollar roster bonus at the end of year two.

This sounds about right.

I preface this with I don't know what I am talking about, but some veteran salaries did not count against the salary cap in the previous CBA. It might have been only if you signed a guy to the veteran minimum. Not sure if that is still present in the current CBA, and it wouldn't apply to Freddie as he will be way over the veteran minimum - unless the league only counts the amount over the veteran minimum against the cap.

I have never heard anything close to that with regard to contracts counting against the cap.

I have never heard anything close to that with regard to contracts counting against the cap.

In the old CBA I believe that any veteran making the lowest veteran minimum (there's more than one veteran minimum because it's based on years of service) of $810,000 would only count something like $410,000 against the cap.

In addition there used to be some clause to the effect that only the 53 highest-paid players on the team counted against the cap.

I don't know how much the new CBA has changed but there used to be a bunch of arcane rules in the old one.

My 2-cents hasn't changed since week one of last year. Freddie is a top 5 back in the NFL and THAT is saying something. Tim-

What year did he finish in the top 5 of RB stat's?

Without the "well if he didn't get hurt..............." because he did

Tim-

Sorry but he has never once in his career finished a season in the top 5 at RB.

Hopefully that's true and we can move on with things now.

My guess is that's why we haven't heard a peep from the Vince Young front. I'm guessing he will be the next news after this singing news.